Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Reflect-it Continuous Ridgeline for Tarp - without specialty hardware?

Anyone have a guide to make a Continuous Ridgeline out of Zing It without using specialty hardware? I have one out of cheap cord using Prissics but I was looking to replace it with Reflectit - I didn't want to have to go out and buy specialty hardware just for this.

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I dont have a guide, but i made mine out of zing it. I used floral wire to make the splices. Loop on one end and a small adjustment whoopie sling for minor changes on the other. I aimed for 80 to 90% of the hammock length for the adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm looking for one for a tarp, not for a structural ridgeline for the hammock itself.

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CubmasterTony View Post
    Anyone have a guide to make a Continuous Ridgeline out of Zing It without using specialty hardware? I have one out of cheap cord using Prissics but I was looking to replace it with Reflectit - I didn't want to have to go out and buy specialty hardware just for this.
    Just so I understand your question, are you looking for a completely hardware-free ridgeline, or just looking for budget-friendly alternatives to costly titanium bling?

If the former, this guide should help you out.

If the latter, you could try the two carabiner system. Any ol' cheap carabiners would work.

Neither method would require splicing, but if you choose to do so floral wire or old guitar strings are perfectly serviceable tools for the job.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

Hammock
    WBBB; Bridge in progress
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CubmasterTony View Post
    I'm looking for one for a tarp, not for a structural ridgeline for the hammock itself.
    Ah, my bad. Yeah. I have done that too. Loop in one end with three prussics on the line. Use the last prussic for a truckers hitch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Take the main line. Prussick a 18" bit of the same cordage folded in half onto it, and stick a button knot in the other end. Splice another 1' bit of cordage onto the main line as a UCR with the main line the adjustable end, and splice a small eye into the other end of that. Repeat at the opposite end. Connect the two prussicks to the tarp however you like (I use a long-ish evo loop, so I can take it off and prussick it on separately if I need more length to hang in a ridiculously wide gap).

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Reflect-It is UHMWPE which is slippery, but if you make your tarp's ridge line Prusiks out of some sort of woven polyester cord they will probably have enough "bite" to hold with Reflect-It.

I use Lawson Glowire for this purpose, with some Kelty Triptease for the tarp Prusiks and it holds very well.

The tougher challenge you're going to run into with a completely no-hardware setup, however, is finding knots for the tree ends of the ridge line that are adjustable and don't slip. Lawson Glowire holds knots well so I use either slipped Midshipman's Hitch (a tautline variation) on both ends or Midshipman's on one end and slipped Lapp knot on the other.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    You can use the ReflectIt and prusik for a hardware free tarp CRL, but you're probably going to want to learn/use the alpine butterfly version of the truckers hitch due to how slippery the cordage is. I have hardware on the ends mine for speed and efficiency but my tarp is connected to the ZingIt CRL with ZingIt soft shackle prusiks. If it does slip, retie the prusiks as klemheists and it will lock up more effectively. If you put a fixed loop on one end you can use any available stick or rock as a toggle on that end to speed things along. You can also skip the prusiks and use marlin spikes and toggles (found sticks) to hang your tarp on the CRL. It's a bit more fiddly IMHO, but it does work well and won't slip.

Quote Originally Posted by jcksparow View Post
    Just so I understand your question, are you looking for a completely hardware-free ridgeline, or just looking for budget-friendly alternatives to costly titanium bling?

If the former, this guide should help you out.

If the latter, you could try the two carabiner system. Any ol' cheap carabiners would work.

Neither method would require splicing, but if you choose to do so floral wire or old guitar strings are perfectly serviceable tools for the job.
    I'll try the 2 carabiner system. I don't mind hardware weight, just trying to do it without having to spend more.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0

My favorite knot... a break-away fiction hitch.....Works a charm... three tries and you'll have it down pat
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast