Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Not to be RUDE but I really dislike requests asking "Which is the Best".

Choice of gear and "BEST" is very PERSONAL. HF's has excellent providers of gear. Any problem children are called out quickly and publicly.

I like qestions like "What ----- do you use and why".

I have my favorite vendors I would say I love my xxx UQ because it is so light. That is me saying it is best for me and how I use it. My choice would not fit everyone in our group.

No very best Simply several excellent personal choices.

Sorry for the rant. It bothers me to argue the best in regard to HF vendors. I personally think all our vendors with one exception are the best hammock gear makers.

Again sorry for the rant.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post

Choice of gear and "BEST" is very PERSONAL. HF's has excellent providers of gear. Any problem children are called out quickly and publicly.

I have my favorite vendors I would say I love my xxx UQ because it is so light. That is me saying it is best for me and how I use it. My choice would not fit everyone in our group.

Sorry for the rant. It bothers me to argue the best in regard to HF vendors. I personally think all our vendors with one exception are the best hammock gear makers.

Hear, hear.
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post

He was asking an opinion between two products. That was a rant. And a worthless one.

I don't equate any forum post reply from any member as "worthless". We are all here to contribute to the HF community in whatever way we choose.

There's lots of options out there for the OP to consider. Getting out to a group hang is always a plus to see gear in action and hear everyone's opinion of what works for them.

I have a Econ incubator 0 and after two years, it's my go to base camp winter UQ. I haven't had the chance to see the SLD UQ in person, but Shortround did a great review of it that is posted in the SLD subforum that makes it worthy for consideration.
    Last edited by michigandave; 10-30-2019 at 21:18.

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    DIY 11' winter
    Insulation
    DIY insulated UQP
    Suspension
    Beckett
    Images
    I am new to hammocking this year, but I can tell you that what I've done was to start out with an underquilt like the Trail Winder (I chose to make it myself) with 5oz insulation. I've found I notice the cold under about 40degrees, although I've slept ok, and my coldest nights were about 30 degrees. I just got a 20degree Incubator as well because I intend to go out a lot this winter so I know I'll have many nights below 30, and well below 30. If I was ONLY doing the trips you're talking about, April to October or mild winters, I think I'd be fine with the Trail Winder. It's great - easy to use, resists blowing rain, and I'm not as worried about damp getting into it - so I sleep better without that worry.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a 40* Trailwinder and a 20* HG Econ Incubator. Since they're different temp ratings, I can't directly compare the warmth factor, but for usability (esp. for a beginner), there is definitely a shallower learning curve with the Trailwinder. Don't get me wrong, the HG Incubators are fantastic (and the Econ series a fantastic value), but they do take a bit of practice and patience in setting them up properly.

The other factor to consider is climate. By that I mean humidity. I've only been to San Antonio (pretty much a sauna the two times I was there), so I'm not sure what the climate is in your 'hood. In more damp or humid areas, I'd probably go with a synthetic UQ for peace of mind (generally considered to be less affected by dampness than down, although there are varying opinions). For areas with drier climates, down would likely provide a better warmth-weight ratio.

Really, between the two, you can't go wrong.

Thanks everyone. Based on all your input, I ended up buying a used-once SLD Trail Winder 20 degree off of someone on this forum. The fact that it seems to be more forgiving on setup for newbies was a big plus.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Help Choosing UQ: SLD Asym or HG Econ Incubator?

Quote Originally Posted by Damai View Post
    Thanks everyone. Based on all your input, I ended up buying a used-once SLD Trail Winder 20 degree off of someone on this forum. The fact that it seems to be more forgiving on setup for newbies was a big plus.
    Good choice. 20° is popular choice in general and still a reasonable packed volume for synthetic. The one thing about synthetic is it will start getting rather bulky at winter weights (10° and below).

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    A quilt to consider might be the Potomac from arrowhead equipment. It is an asymmetrical UQ specifically designed for Hennessy hammocks. But I can attest that it works with any GE hammock. Gives ya a great diagonal lay and is warm and durable. I also use the simply light TW. Both great and work well together for stacking on the super chilly hangs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12