Dutch 11' NylonD
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Half pound of extra weight that comes with it? You might want to look at that again, because there is hardly any difference in weight between a Dutch Chameleon w/bugnet and a Dutch Netless hammock with Fronkey bugnet. In fact, the Chameleon with asym bugnet weighs more.

Dutch Netless Hexon 1.6 334.98
    Dutch Fronkey Bugnet 230
    Grams total 564.98
    Ounces total 20.177

Dutch Chameleon 434.2
    Asym Bugnet 144
    Grams total 578.2
    Ounces total 20.65

I use Dutch Netless hammocks with Fronkey bugnets, and I also have a Chameleon. Since I truly hate zippers (too hard to exit quickly, plus they fail), I'll take the Dutch Netless with Fronkey bugnet every time. Unfortunately, my beagle Joey can't sleep in the Dutch Netless - he looks out over the edge of the hammock, sees the ground and spends the entire night scheming on how to escape from me. With the Chameleon, Joey sees the zippered bugnet and just goes to sleep since he can't figure out how to escape.
    I made my own Fronkey net out of materials that were available locally. It weighs in at 8.75oz w/ stuff sack, (also DIY).
    I know I could order some nanoseeum or lighter fabric and cut the weight in half.
    My comment about saving 1/2 lb was mostly hyperbole. The real weight savings would probably, as your figures indicate, be around a quarter pound.
    I'm also considering the reduced bulk from an integrated net as I am trying to transition to a smaller volume backpack.
    There's just so much extra material in a Fronkey net as it has to wrap underneath the hammock too.
    Yes, zippers do fail occasionally, but it seems like integrated nets are kind of the go to for most dedicated hangers.

I miss hanging with my dog.
    My little Lulu, RIP, used to get so excited when I started to pitch my hammock, she LOVED to swing and snuggle.
    Our current poochie is just a bit too big to comfortably share hang time with.

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Some like attached bugnets and some like the versatility and lighter weight of unattached netting, but like you, I also tired of the Fronkey style bugnet. To each his own. If you're looking for a symmetrical hammock with a removable bugnet, I'd go with the Trail Lair, it is a really nice hammock. It has always been my favorite and I always encourage people in the market for a new, or replacement, hammock to give SLD a look. Jared is really easy to deal with and his prices are more than reasonable for a fully featured, made to order hammock. And the turnaround time is virtually unbeatable, especially if you go with in-stock fabrics.

I should add, the bugnet is not completely removable, it unzips and stores in a mesh sack attached inside the foot end of the hammock. Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrknot View Post

I think I am ready to upgrade to an integrated bugnet system. It just seems like it would be so much easier and lighter.
    My budget would be <$150...

I'd also like to be able to remove the net for hassle-free lounging, either completely, or stow it like the HG hammock does.
    This may be a little wide of the mark in terms of what you're asking, but the price is well within your budget and meets the criteria of removable, easier and lighter than the bottom entry bugnet: the HUG style bugnet as designed by Derek Hansen and sold by Arrowhead. It's not a new hammock, which is what you're asking for, but it ticks all the other boxes:

https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/store/c5/HUGBugNet
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE Revolt
    Suspension
    Spider Daisy Chain
    Images
    hey hey,

I don't have the raven(I went with a darien) but i do own a Hammock gear netted hammock. its brilliant. the material is the same as dutch, the hexon 1.6. It does store away in it's little bag at one end, but there is a little bag at both ends for other small items, plus a hand loop either end too which you could attach something like your bag to as well. Very comfortable and well made, sleep any posistion you want in it. I really enjoy the sleep in this. it's cool how it packs into its own bag which becomes a central pocket too. you wouldn't regret buying this hammock.
    My friend owns a half zipped wide and always has the bugnet rolled down and tied the one side but i am sure it is asymetrical though.
    A true optimist is someone that plants two acorns and buys a hammock.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    Paria Sanctuary
    Insulation
    Gemini UQ, Drop TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies+straps
    I too tired of my bulky add-on full-coverage bugnet; it's a huge pain in the butt during setup to get my underquilt attached, it's too heavy, and it takes up too much room in my pack.

I found this, and just received it over the weekend:
    https://www.amazon.com/11ft-Camping-.../dp/B07P1NWGL4

I tossed the included suspension, and put my own Amsteel EVO loops in the gathered ends. And I tossed the paracord fixed ridgeline and am using a whoopie-style adjustable one made out of a ZingIt/LashIt equivalent while I dial-in an optimal length. Lastly, I removed the attached storage sack.

For $49 shipped, I had to try it. Initial impressions are good. I too am coming from a 11' Dutch netless.
    I was very close to biting on the Warbonnet Eldorado while on sale this weekend, but it was still $99 shipped.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Agent23; 12-03-2019 at 09:55.

Hammock
    HG Netted
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla
    Insulation
    HG Inc. Econ 20
    Suspension
    Tree Strap, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post
    hey hey,

I don't have the raven(I went with a darien) but i do own a Hammock gear netted hammock. its brilliant. the material is the same as dutch, the hexon 1.6. It does store away in it's little bag at one end, but there is a little bag at both ends for other small items, plus a hand loop either end too which you could attach something like your bag to as well. Very comfortable and well made, sleep any posistion you want in it. I really enjoy the sleep in this. it's cool how it packs into its own bag which becomes a central pocket too. you wouldn't regret buying this hammock.
    My friend owns a half zipped wide and always has the bugnet rolled down and tied the one side but i am sure it is asymetrical though.
    I also have the HG Netted, and have similar feelings about it as IronFist's.

I think you mentioned three very good options in the original post: Dutch Chamelon, Dreamhammock Raven, and HammockGear Netted.
    You won't go wrong with any of the three.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post
    I too tired of my bulky add-on full-coverage bugnet; it's a huge pain in the butt during setup to get my underquilt attached, it's too heavy, and it takes up too much room in my pack.

I tossed the included suspension, and put my own Amsteel EVO loops in the gathered ends. And I tossed the paracord fixed ridgeline and am using a whoopie-style adjustable one made out of a ZingIt/LashIt equivalent while I dial-in an optimal length. Lastly, I removed the attached storage sack.

For $49 shipped, I had to try it. Initial impressions are good. I too am coming from a 11' Dutch netless.
    I was very close to biting on the Warbonnet Eldorado while on sale this weekend, but it was still $99 shipped.
    Spiguyver just did a review of this hammock and gave it high marks for such an inexpensive hammock.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCqz...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent23 View Post

Loving mine so far. Upgrading it this weekend.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Cheap off-brand
    Tarp
    GoldArmour
    Insulation
    Hyke &amp; Byke
    Suspension
    ThermaRest Straps
    I'm a relatively poor law student, and I got this - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Removeable bugnet, and the poles keep the net out of your face without needing another set of ridgelines (yes, usually you'll have a ridgeline, but if the weather is nice, isn't the option to NOT have one nice?).

And it has plenty of pockets to stash stuff in, which is nice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12