Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images

Ultimate Hang's review of the Ninox Flat Lay Hammock

https://theultimatehang.com/2019/10/...atlay-hammock/

I found Derek's review of this hammock interesting as I have been looking at it. Thought others might enjoy the reading also
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    yikes, looks like a mess

ridgeline sewn to the hammock, not suspension, and the bugnet zippers look awful

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Using webbing ridgeline and webbing loops instead of using Amsteel was a bad idea IMO. I think there were trying to save a little money and wanted a more newbie-friendly adjustable ridgeline. The problem is that newbies don’t want adjustable ridgelines and they are a bad idea for integrated bug nets anyway. And I have also heard of stitches failing in these areas. And they should have made it a little narrower to save some weight. They also should have had a heavyweight single layer option.

It’s curious that Derek didn’t address the wavy shaped end channels though as that is it’s most interesting feature.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I felt like he did address that

He said there was nothing special about it, just a rectangle of fabric

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Ultimate Hang's review of the Ninox Flat Lay Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    I felt like he did address that

He said there was nothing special about it, just a rectangle of fabric
    That’s why I think he didn’t though. According to SMR, it is not a rectangle. It’s got wavy shaped end channels that the webbing suspension loops thread through. Supposedly, it raises you butt, lowers your head and feet, and tightens up the sides. It at least sounds interesting, but I have been curious what others thought about this in particular, especially Derek who has tried so many others. I suppose the fact that it felt typical to him suggests it is just a minor tweak at best.

Due to the ends being sewn together, you can’t really unravel it like most other hammocks to examine and confirm this though. If Derek was unaware of this, he would not have been able to realize it either for the same reason. I assume SMR wouldn’t lie about this, but it would require some stitch ripping to confirm it.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    According to SMR, it is not a rectangle. It’s got wavy shaped end channels that the webbing suspension loops thread through.
    oh I know, it's supposed to be similar to a hammock, you whip manually, and pull/gather it unevenly

strategically of course

looking at the finished product, doesn't seem like anyone notices, except how much of a bathtub it is

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Improve upon the design of the wheel. 2lb hammock with webbing in place of dyneema. Stretchy fabric creating too much sag. Ultra comfortable deep well that makes the ridgeline out of reach.

I like SMR and how they continue to try and innovate and push the envelope.

It seems that the old timers had it right with a standard gathered end. So much innovation and so many useful modifications occurred in the early years of HF, you have to applaud those individuals who keep trying to further the hammock quest with new ideas. Even if they don't work as well as hoped.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabmanhang View Post
    Improve upon the design of the wheel. 2lb hammock with webbing in place of dyneema. Stretchy fabric creating too much sag. Ultra comfortable deep well that makes the ridgeline out of reach.

I like SMR and how they continue to try and innovate and push the envelope.

It seems that the old timers had it right with a standard gathered end. So much innovation and so many useful modifications occurred in the early years of HF, you have to applaud those individuals who keep trying to further the hammock quest with new ideas. Even if they don't work as well as hoped.
    I agree. It does appear, based on Derek's review, and several other user reviews at other places than HF, and my personal limited experience, that the big sag(like an HH Safari, maybe even a tad more) and the stretchy fabric(not like the Safari) are actually quite comfy. Derek:
    While I was a little disappointed to find out that the hammock didn’t have any unique design (e.g., fabric cut, special foot box, etc.), it didn’t disappoint in terms of comfort. The hammock is LARGE and has a deep sag, which means getting into a diagonal lay is easy and comfortable.
    I have not slept in it yet, but in my short tests it is indeed quite comfy for me. But it has some trade offs that many here are not going to like. But for me personally, I find that applies to every hammock I have tried: a bunch of pros and cons. I have purchased more than one hammock that many people here thought was the very best they had ever used, just to find that it didn't really do it for me. Often the hammock would indeed be great in one area, but then it would not be as good as another hammock in some other area. And almost all gathered hammocks have at least some problem for me in the calf ridge department. So far at least, I have noticed this hammock is at least as good as the very best GEs in that area, with zero knee extension. But, as always, with some trade offs.

I think the claustrophobic among us might really like it. It has by far the roomiest interior of any hammock I have tried. Car campers might favor it more, not being concerned with every oz. It is probably about as light as any other single layer hammock, except they are smaller. So bigger is going to be heavier, all other things equal. This is the best hammock I have used for guaranteeing the net won't be near my face. I could literally hang a gear hammock inside of this thing and still have plenty of room. All that room may appeal to some, but be worthless to others. And the weight obsessed will obviously have no use for such a large hammock.

I have no problem with the webbing loops vs Amsteel. What small fraction of an oz would I save with Amsteel CLs? Can't be much. This is, for me, just different, but works just fine. Same with the suspension, it works just fine. In fact, I quite like it. But, I'm not sure if the suspension might not be heavier than most, I haven't Weighed it. But if I decide I don't really like it, I'll just use one of my many straps through the continuous webbing loops. I'm not sure if you can buy the hammock without the suspension?

I do like the built D rings on the sides which work pretty good to hold the SMR Inferno under quilt on a diagonal. I haven't tried it with any other quilts, other than the JRB greylock short UQ which I don't think needs anything of that nature. But who knows, that might prove beneficial with some other full-length under quilts. but as always, pros and cons for me, but still very comfortable.

Images
    I forgot to say: I also don't have any problem with the webbing RL which is sewn to the fabric rather than the usual way. I do find it weird, but I never pull my RLs tight any way, and it is not going to be a problem if adjusted so that t is not guitar string tight.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I forgot to say: I also don't have any problem with the webbing RL which is sewn to the fabric rather than the usual way..

well, the issue (in my eyes) is that when your suspension/hang isn't ideal, the ridgeline will absorb a lot of the excess forces, rather than have the hammock do it

in this case, it'll apply those forces right to the end of the gathered end.....probably not ideal

also maybe a non-issue? let's see what happens with longer term hangers tho I guess. just seems like they're missing the mark on this one

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast