Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    well, the issue (in my eyes) is that when your suspension/hang isn't ideal, the ridgeline will absorb a lot of the excess forces, rather than have the hammock do it

in this case, it'll apply those forces right to the end of the gathered end.....probably not ideal

also maybe a non-issue? let's see what happens with longer term hangers tho I guess. just seems like they're missing the mark on this one
    That's right, time will tell. They say they have had a 1% RL failure rate on the first round of deliveries, due to some problems with inspection/manufacture/Ouality control. But, regarding this odd RL and also the weight of this single layer hammock, I have to remind myself that this hammock has a very high weight rating. Although I'm not sure what the real rating is as it is different, depending on where you read, I think they said "let's just call it 350" or "400 lbs" ( not sure which), and they have a video of them testing it to almost 1600 lbs. Which presumably is with this strange RL.

I can't imagine why they decided to do it this way, though I thought I read something about patent issues with HH, but others than HH offer a structural RL connected to the suspension, right? Plus, would that HH patent still hold 13+ years later? I have no idea. But, though price would potentially effectively be even higher if having to do these mods, it is easily bypassed using some of my own RL material. There is a little finger sized passage where the net can be pushed aside, and the preferred RL material can be passed through right to the webbing CLs. Or, the supplied webbing RL could simply be extended to the CLs with some light version of Amsteel, and we are right back to a traditional structural RL.

This conversation spurred me to give mine another try. I think it is growing on me, at least as far as comfort goes. Today, again, I had no calf ridge(with the foot end just slightly higher than the head) and no knee extension, and a fetal position was very comfortable. I felt really snug and toasty with the Inferno UQ under me, and the quilt was hanging at a nice diagonal position. There really was a nice pocket for my head, like some one else said. I measured it: 11'8" long inside the hammock's gathered end channels, and 6 ft wide at the center. That is a big hammock.

Inferno on Ninox foot end

Head end

Inside head end. The UQ is visible as a silhouette/shadow. Great coverage to well above my head:

Inside foot end, great UQ coverage, no apparent gaps, notice UQ on a bit of diagonal:
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-28-2019 at 21:25.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    oh I know, it's supposed to be similar to a hammock, you whip manually, and pull/gather it unevenly

strategically of course

looking at the finished product, doesn't seem like anyone notices, except how much of a bathtub it is
    I notice it. Very much. In a bad way. I don't like the high walls - they gave me a painful neck after the first night, because I lay too close to the wall (not the edge!). It turned out I lay too close to the wall, because I instinctively avoided the rise on the spine. The next night I consciously lay in the middle, with my head a couple of inches away from the wall. I didn't get neck pain again, but found the lay much more uncomfortable due to the spine ridge. If the Ninox would have been cut rectangular, I probably would have liked it a lot better, because the fabric is very nice and wide.

BTW - I have the double layer version. Stretch is not an issue with 2 layers. I can confidently say that because I don't like stretch at all.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I notice it. Very much. In a bad way. I don't like the high walls - they gave me a painful neck after the first night, because I lay too close to the wall (not the edge!). It turned out I lay too close to the wall, because I instinctively avoided the rise on the spine. The next night I consciously lay in the middle, with my head a couple of inches away from the wall. I didn't get neck pain again, but found the lay much more uncomfortable due to the spine ridge. If the Ninox would have been cut rectangular, I probably would have liked it a lot better, because the fabric is very nice and wide.

BTW - I have the double layer version. Stretch is not an issue with 2 layers. I can confidently say that because I don't like stretch at all.
    Did you return yours? Funny the differences, because I actually found a nice pocket for my head that seemed supportive for my neck, but I have not slept in it over night yet, only for shorter naps, so I may change my mind about that.

However, I am not usually one to favor high walls or deep hammocks or really even wide hammocks. To the extreme that I am often in disagreement with most folks here, in that one of my all time favorite hammocks is only 10 ft long and 4 ft wide, the Claytor No Net. There are almost no walls with that hammock. It gave me the wonderful ability, back when I had my Pea Pod, of sleeping on my side(fetal or legs straight), with my face right on the edge of the hammock, and the pod rotated so that my breathing hole was also to the side or even slightly down. All of which allowed me to have the pod almost completely closed, insulating my head like a mummy hood, and my breath vapor would go right out the tiny or large breathing hole, into the cold air. This was unique and excellent for comfort and insulation with this combo. But any sort of wall and I would have been exhaling into the side of my hammock.

So no, normally walls or deep hammocks and I do not mix, for me more than most folks. Still, I plan to keep playing with this hammock, because it seems to have some positives. I don't want to sell it short like I did the original JRB bridge hammock. Which I quickly returned, only to get another one a few months later, and I ended up being one of that hammock's biggest fans. But talk about from one extreme to another; from the Claytor No Net to this huge hammock! It will be amazing if I can like both!

Images
    BTW, I have inadvertently hung my +200lb self with the RL guitar string tight, a couple of times. Did not intend to, but when I reached up and checked, it was super tight. No problems so far. Time will tell.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Did you return yours?
    No, I didn't since I paid for international shipping and customs. I might have returned it if I would be located in the US, though.

Funny the differences, because I actually found a nice pocket for my head that seemed supportive for my neck, but I have not slept in it over night yet, only for shorter naps, so I may change my mind about that.
    I did not mind when I went to sleep either. But after a full night of my head being held in that position, I couldn't move my head all day without pain.

However, I am not usually one to favor high walls or deep hammocks or really even wide hammocks.
    Well, usually only very stretchy hammocks have this type of wall. I'm not referring to "the wall" that results from lying in a hammock diagonally and that many people seem to hate. That type of wall is opposite the head. The Ninox's wall is only there, because the sides are shorter than the rest of the hammock. This creates an extreme bathtub.

I have built W-shaped hammocks myself, and it is helpful to shorten the sides somewhat, to prevent the feeling that you can roll out of the hammock accidentally. But the Ninox's design goes far beyond that. I don't get why they made it this extreme. I can only see disadvantages like that it makes getting in and out of the hammock difficult, and prevents you from sitting on the edge. Also, I can use much less of the width if I want to lie flat. No advantages come to mind.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Ultimate Hang's review of the Ninox Flat Lay Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I have built W-shaped hammocks myself, and it is helpful to shorten the sides somewhat, to prevent the feeling that you can roll out of the hammock accidentally. But the Ninox's design goes far beyond that. I don't get why they made it this extreme. I can only see disadvantages like that it makes getting in and out of the hammock difficult, and prevents you from sitting on the edge. Also, I can use much less of the width if I want to lie flat. No advantages come to mind.
    Well, there is the SLD Streamliner. It has curved ends, shifting the sweet spot more in line, allowing for cat-cuts in the sides. The goals are to save weight and lower view blocking walls.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Well, there is the SLD Streamliner. It has curved ends, shifting the sweet spot more in line, allowing for cat-cuts in the sides. The goals are to save weight and lower view blocking walls.
    Yeah, I have one of those as well. But I made the mistake of ordering a wide Streamliner - which has the opposite effect: you basically lie in a cocoon. It's very difficult getting out of it.

However, as I said, I have never been bothered by the type of wall that forms when I'm lying in a wide, rectangular hammock. I neither need nor want a 360° view, contrary to many other hammock users. And the regular wall is opposite my head (and opposite my feet), so it has zero effect on my lay. In contrast, the artificial walls created by extremely shortening both sides of the Ninox interfers with my lay in a bad way. If they had not made the cut this extreme, I would not have a problem with the Ninox.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12