REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps

1st Cold Test - Fall 2019

43°F and dropping fast. Projected low of 25°. Minimal wind, clear skies.

40° mummy bag
    Costco down throw
    NeoAir XTherm Pad rated well below zero
    Long john top/bottom

Feel I might be pushing it a bit. In the woods, so no bailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    No wind is good... sounds like enough layers as long as head coverage is also good.

Wind without a tarp or sock to block it is a tougher scenario.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Hey I have one of those! Mine didn't work so well when it got below -5 so I moved to a different thermometer.

Looking forward to hearing how it went.

thermpro.jpg

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    The first night got down to 28°F. I was *just* warm enough to be able to sleep all night. The handful of times that I woke up when switching sides, I was definitely a little chilly on the side not on the pad (arm, shoulder, butt).

Night two I debated wearing my puffy in addition. I decided not to, but kept it close in case. Only got to 30°F. Same results, but I feel like I could notice the 2° difference. At dawn I could feel a slight chill on my feet, unlike the night before. When I got up an hour later, I noticed the CDT had come off my feet.

I don’t know what effect the wind had. There wasn’t enough to be noticeable, or make much noise/movement in the trees, but I did occasionally notice air moving over me. I had my tarp set high for views. I should’ve set it in storm mode on the second night to test the difference.

Conclusion: top insulation/clothing combo was not quite enough for this setup/conditions(I thought it would be). Sure, I slept all night and wasn’t miserable, but I could stand to be a little warmer. Wearing another insulated layer on top & bottom probably would’ve done the trick, but I prefer sleeping in as few clothing layers as possible.

I’ve known this for a while now, but I really need to add a good 10-20° top quilt to my quiver.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Wearing too many cloths at night can restrict blood flow and make you colder
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 509-T203-KG View Post
    The first night got down to 28°F. I was *just* warm enough to be able to sleep all night. The handful of times that I woke up when switching sides, I was definitely a little chilly on the side not on the pad (arm, shoulder, butt).

Night two I debated wearing my puffy in addition. I decided not to, but kept it close in case. Only got to 30°F. Same results, but I feel like I could notice the 2° difference. At dawn I could feel a slight chill on my feet, unlike the night before. When I got up an hour later, I noticed the CDT had come off my feet.

I don’t know what effect the wind had. There wasn’t enough to be noticeable, or make much noise/movement in the trees, but I did occasionally notice air moving over me. I had my tarp set high for views. I should’ve set it in storm mode on the second night to test the difference.

Conclusion: top insulation/clothing combo was not quite enough for this setup/conditions(I thought it would be). Sure, I slept all night and wasn’t miserable, but I could stand to be a little warmer. Wearing another insulated layer on top & bottom probably would’ve done the trick, but I prefer sleeping in as few clothing layers as possible.

I’ve known this for a while now, but I really need to add a good 10-20° top quilt to my quiver.

Another interesting test from 509! I bet layering some warmer clothes would indeed make a big dif on top. And of course, your previous tests indicate you are a good 35 degrees or more before being cold on the bottom.

But, a warmer TQ or even sleeping bag would not only make a big dif, but be far more certain and convenient, due to less draft risk. Less chance of lifting an edge or foot area or getting a draft around the neck/shoulders when moving in your sleep. I got by just barely once layering my puffy clothing on top inside my 20F Pea Pod which - though just as thick on top- was rated less warm on top because the hammock sides lift the quilt up. It was in the 20s and I was just barely warm enough on top. But I decided it would have been worth the weight to instead have the lightest possible TQ to fill the gap on top. It would have been pleasantly warm rather than just barely good enough and hoping the temps didn't drop another 5 degrees. But mainly, it would have been so much more convenient to keep a quilt on top of me than dealing with the clothing. Still, it worked.

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by 509-T203-KG View Post
    a solid 20 degree TQ is worth it. My 40 is nice for lighter weight and less bulk but the 20 is the work horse for me. I hate sleeping in a pile of clothes and prefer a high lofting down cocoon when below freezing.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    Hey I have one of those! Mine didn't work so well when it got below -5 so I moved to a different thermometer.

Looking forward to hearing how it went.

thermpro.jpg
    -4... nice
    I got to -10 with a different thermometer. Then I accidentally broke it.

This was the first test with this thermometer. It seems like it’s reading 2-3 degrees high compared to weather apps & vehicle thermometers. Previous one was always spot on.

What did you get as a replacement?

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I splurged on the SensorPush. I thought I'd miss the readout screen but it's small and simple to clip to my CL or ridgeline. It seems accurate and in line with my other temp sensors. Haven't had it subzero yet so we'll see.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    I splurged on the SensorPush. I thought I'd miss the readout screen but it's small and simple to clip to my CL or ridgeline. It seems accurate and in line with my other temp sensors. Haven't had it subzero yet so we'll see.
    I have had mine down to -3* no issues and if I recall I think they go down to something ridiculously low like -40*. I love the data you get - plus it can be exported and spreadsheeted

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast