Images

E.E. Enigma Regular/Slim for hammock use ~ initial impressions

I debated for a while about which options would suit my purpose the best. I wanted a 40° TQ to pair with my 40° Hammock Gear Premium Phoenix and have been wanting to try out an Enlightened Equipment TQ for some time. I prefer a sewn footbox, so I considered the Enigma vs. the Enigma H.E. Though I don't necessarily foresee using it much (if at all) on the ground, the toggles on the footbox of the H.E. didn't appeal to me, so I opted for the regular Enigma.

Even more than regular vs. H.E. it took me a while to decide on sizing. I am 6'1" and 175lbs. The size chart recommends Regular length for people between 5'6" and 6' tall and Long for between 6' and 6'6". The charts also show that Regular is 72" long and Long is 78" long. I know E.E. measures this before filling, which added to my uncertainty, but my experience with other TQ's has been that 72" is just right and 78" is quite long. Since 40° is kind of a fair-weather quilt, I don't anticipate wanting to pull it up beyond my chin, so I chose Regular. I'm right on the borderline between their recommendations, so that was a difficult choice. As for width, despite it not seeming like a popular choice, I went with Slim (50") as that is a pretty standard "regular" for most hammock-oriented TQ's. By and large, the biggest chunk of E.E.'s business is probably for ground use, so I think that's why they spec 50" as Slim and 54" as Regular, which would be a "wide" by many hammock quilt vendors' standards.

For fabric, I picked Graphite 7D outer and Midnight Blue 7D inner. 950FP DownTek, no draft collar (though I don't even recall that being an option a few weeks ago when I ordered). Finished weight is 12.25oz.

As usual for 7D fabrics, it's really silky and shiny - "space-age" stuff. By the 23rd century, I'm sure we'll be down to 4D fabric, but regardless, this is the sort of material Captain Kirk would sleep with. Some might not agree, but I like low denier fabrics for a TQ, especially a warm-weather one where I'm not going to have long sleeves or long pants on. I also have a 50° Operator Series Ghost Pepper by Loco Libre, which was made using Membrane 7 fabric from RSBTR. The E.E. 7D fabric is different, though they have similar feel. The ripstop grid is a little smaller on the E.E. 7D than the M7 fabric. I haven't had either one long enough to really speak to durability, but it goes without saying an item made with such gossamer materials needs to be treated with care.

I first tested it out on a bed to see how it would fit. I was happy to see that the Regular length comes up to my chin without my feet being uncomfortable in the footbox. The Slim width is totally fine for hammock use and even seems adequate for me to use on the ground. I'm a pure back-sleeper whether on the ground or in a hammock. I think a side-sleeper or a restless sleeper would need something wider than the Slim, unless they were considerably slimmer than I am. I have a fairly slim build but broad shoulders and that was the only area it was close to being tight for me, though only if both snaps at the top end were closed. With only the top snap closed, there was no tightness at all, and in warm weather I probably wouldn't close either of the snaps. So maybe I was lucky, but I think the Regular/Slim fit was the perfect choice for me at 6'1" 175lbs, a back-sleeping hammock user.

I tested it briefly in a netless hammock along with my HG Phoenix 40°. I was in my garage which was about 50° (no wind of course) and wearing more clothing than I would sleep in late-spring through early-fall, but I was instantly warm and quickly became too warm. I think it will be perfect in conditions that are too cold for my 50° or no TQ at all, but not cold enough to be comfortable in my 20°.

I haven't tried it on a pad, but E.E.'s pad attachment strap system is widely praised, so if I ever need to use it like that, I'm sure it will perform well.

Not an inexpensive quilt, but I got one totally tailored to my preferences and although it's still new to me, it seems to be just what I was looking for. I'll put up some photos soon.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-25-2019 at 17:55.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Great writeup! Thank you.

I absolutely love my EE stuff! I'm nearly 6'2" and wish I could do the regular.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Great writeup! Thank you.

I absolutely love my EE stuff! I'm nearly 6'2" and wish I could do the regular.
    Thanks. I was hoping if nothing else, documenting my experience with the sizing could be helpful for someone else in the future.

If they did "true" customs, I might have ordered a 74" but I think what I ended up with is perfect for me. The "slim" width is a nice incentive to avoid gaining too much weight.

Images

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Good recap of your decision process, and it appears to have worked great.

You're going to love the 7D/950 combo. I have a 30deg Enigma reg/reg same material spec and it has become my favorite TQ... 14.1oz of luxurious stufffability, it just disappears into the bottom of the pack!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Thanks, and I agree the compressibility is impressive. Though I may not necessarily transport them in stuff sacks, I found this to be an interesting comparison. Both stuff sacks below contain both an UQ and a TQ. I probably should have used a Smartwater bottle for reference.

On the left is the EE stuff sack, which contains the 40° Enigma, 72"x50", 950FP, 7D for both shells and the 40° HG Premium Phoenix, 950FP +1oz, 10D for both shells. The middle stuff sack contains a 50° Loco Libre Operator Series Ghost Pepper, 75"x50", 900FP, 7D for both shells and a 50° Operator Series Habanero, 900FP, 10D for both shells.

The 50° LLG set weighs 18.8oz in the stuff sack, but the UQ has no secondary suspension and the TQ has sewn-through construction.

The 40° HG/EE set weighs 25.3oz in the stuff sack, but both items have full feature sets. There's also 1oz overstuff in the Phoenix.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-28-2019 at 19:32.

• + New Posts