SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    You can search for treads about this - there seems to be two schools of thought on warmth and sleeping attire. I like to wear some light cotton jammies because it's easier to wash clothes than it is to wash down quilts. Some suggest the less you wear, the warmer you will be - because your gear doesn't make the warmth - you do! All the gear does is help you keep what you make. I guess the idea if you bundle up too much, you don't make that cocoon of warmth surrounding you. But I'm guessing these A vs B situations are talking about really different temperatures, like -15 degrees vs 20 degrees. Try wearing less - just something light that doesn't restrict circulation - and let your top quilt/bottom quilt do their job. If you need extra heat, those pocket hand warmers work great and give 4 to 6 hours of warmth. Be careful though - because they can leak and you'll find black stuff on your hands or gear (depending on the quality of the "hot pocket").
    I’ve heard that often over the years as well, that bare skin to bare skin (like your bare legs together) is warmer inside a sleeping bag than you’d be clothed inside the same sleeping bag. However, my school of thought is I might have to get up in the middle of the night to take a short walk outside to answer the call of nature and, frankly, I don’t want to have to leave the warmth of my cocoon to DRESS in the cold before embarking. In the winter I wear layers to bed—a BREATHABLE base layer (longsleeved runners top and yoga pants or leggings), then a BREATHABLE winter top and fleecy jogging pants, then my microtherm down jacket with my oversized best up old down vest over that. Oh, and I wear thick long wool socks. NOT the same socks I was wearing inside my shoes, but dedicated “in the hammock only” socks, because even if you’d swear the socks you had on before going to bed are dry, they aren’t. And your feet will freeze all night if they are in barely damp socks...better to go without socks at all than to try to get away with wearing the socks you had on during the day. (In non-winter, I just wear 3/4 length yoga pants and a short sleeved BREATHABLE top. I never pack any cotton.) Over all that, I have my down topquilt. If it’s going to be under 40 degrees, I just pack my zero degree HG Econ TQ. If it’s not going to be under 40, I use my 40 degree UG Bandit TQ coupled with my 50 degree LL Operator TQ. If it’s a chilly night I sleep with the LL quilt inside the Bandit. If it’s not cold enough for both I pick whichever I need and toss the other out of the way (but still in easy reach) in my peak shelf. Beneath me I always have a WB Wooki UQ covered with a 2QZQ UQP...or, if it’s really windy or nasty out, a WB sock which, often, I leave unzipped most of the way because I like lots of fresh air even when it is frigid out. Also, less apt to wind up with condensation that way. But the sock gives me total wind protection on the back side and decent wind protection on the side where I have the top half of the arched opening unzipped. I also leave my Trail Lair’s big net deployed year round—keeps my pillow and covers from sliding over the edge of my hammock and spilling out. For my tarp, I use a WB SuperFly if expecting harsh weather or lots of wind or will be camping in a crowded situation where privacy might be at a premium, but 9 times out of 10, it’s just my WB MiniFly that I bring. The Minify is my favorite.

I ALWAYS bring a large dog—big enough and confident enough to engage a bear or other intruder while I get a head start down the trail(!), though, truth be known I’d probably be staying behind ganging up with my dog, worried about him. Because I travel with a dog, I always string up an extra ridgeline off center from my hammock’s ridgeline and lower...about eye level and just a little in front of me when I’m sitting in my hammock. On this line, I have a reposition-able Prussic Loop that I clip the dog’s mule tape “leash” on—keeping it short enough that he can’t get wound around my tarp stakes. But, honestly, the dog’s ridgeline has turned out so handy that I’d put it up even if I didn’t need it for him! In the summer I drape my hiking pants over it and clip my shoes to it and hang my backpack off it. That way every thing is handy to reach from my hammock, yet out of the way, off the ground and still under my tarp. If I need to get up in the night, I slip my loose fitting hiking pants over my yoga pants before tromping out into the weeds. Then when I get back, slip them back off while holding the dog’s ridgeline for balance, drape them over the ridgeline and crawl back into my hammock knowing I’m not dragging any trail grime, stick tights or ticks back in with me! The dog’s ridgeline is also where I hang wet clothes to dry on rainy trips. And it’s where I drape my poncho...keeps it enough away from my hammock but within easy reach still under my tarp.

For the dog I have a floored, DIY 3 sided tarp windbreak that I hang from the dog ridgeline and position so that my hammock partially shields the open side of his “tent” and I throw a thick piece of CCF pad on the floor of his “tent”. It has to be pretty brutal out for him to actually USE his 3 sided tent, though. Generally he winds up sleeping with his head poking out from under my tarp and his rear end right where my feet will land if I get out of my hammock.

That’s my set up.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Hg dcf 12 winter
    Insulation
    Cro 20 set
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    I use my dutchware chamelion and warbonnet mamajama 3 seasons(winter fall and spring i use 20 degrees cro quilts
    In summer i use a set Of terripin outfitters modular shells)
    To keep my rig together and for easy deployment i use a turtle tote from terripin outfitters
    Not all those who wander are lost

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    I'm male, so this may not be completely in line with your needs. This is my kayak/car camping setup. No trees required and a large cocoon of privacy and wind shelter. It's a CRO Winter Haven tarp with internal poles over a Chameleon Wide with ridgeline organizer, sidecar, peak shelf and side sling hung from a Tensa 4 stand. I was using a JRB 20 degree UQ and a 15 degree synthetic sleeping bag as a TQ that weekend. The grey thing under the hammock is half a yoga mat where my shoes go. 20190907_153151 (1).jpg

I use the storage (sidecar and side sling) for my night clothes, pillow and top quilt before I get into the hammock for the night. I hate squirming around trying to get off the quilt to cover up. I keep my drink and book in the peak shelf. My glasses and battery pack go in the ridgeline organizer. My phone goes in a Hangtime Hook connected to the battery to charge overnight. Since I'm usually running the GPS in my watch, it gets put in the ridgeline organizer to charge, too. When I'm kayak camping, my gear is already in dry bags and just gets piled up under the hammock. my chair goes under the tarp.

I like a long sleeve polypro base layer and pants to sleep in when the weather is cold, cotton pajamas when it's warm.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/ WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Minifly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutchware Beetles
    Fellow female hammocker here, I've found I actually have less stuff than my husband or dad but I'm a bit of minimalist within reason. I use a warbonnet ridgerunner (WBRR) hammock which has wonderfully large saddlebags that you can cram all your knick-knacks into. I typically only have my headlamp, water, kindle, and extra socks in my saddlebags. As per the tarp, this took me minute to master and each person is different when it comes to their setup, I have found a continuous ridgeline works best for me. Here's a link to the setup I use (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-Ik...g&index=8&t=0s). If you do run cold, up your insulation. I have a 20*UQ custom for my type of hammock and an insulated sleeping pad I put in the sleeve. I also have a 20*TQ.

If there are no suitable trees to hang from I will unfortunately go to the ground, but I have a sleeping pad so it isn't that bad. As per keeping critters out of your stuff, I have a camp chair I usually bring and when it isn't in use during the night I'll throw my stuff on it and stick it under my tarp then put my pack cover over my bag (just in case). For privacy, I am not really picky I typically just shout "I'm changing" and my camping cohorts will give me the privacy I need. If you need additional privacy you can always pitch your tarp at angle that gives you the privacy you need (unless you have DCF tarp which can be somewhat transparent).

Hammock
    Hummingbird Single+
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Pelica
    Insulation
    HG 850 20* TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Hummingbird WHOOPI
    Do you have a ridgeline on your hammock? If so, many different hammock brands, I'm thinking of Hammock Gear specifically, make little gear nets/organizers that you can hang from your ridgeline that are specifically designed to hold a few small items like a cell phone, head lamp, tissues, etc. This prevents them from getting lost in the hammock when you have your TQ/sleeping bag in it, plus there's less risk of it falling out of the cinched stuff sack that is attached to your hammock. I do hear what you are saying though about the lack of a "room". I found that having a little ground tarp was nice, coupled with using my tarp to create this space. When I camp with others, I set up on the edge of the campsite so that way I can just change in privacy behind my tarp, and then I have a dry space to fit my bag my hammock. I did buy a little $9 mesh gear hammock off amazon which worked really well with my webbing loops ENO Atlas straps- I suspended it with two carabiners off the excess under my hammock so my bag was off the ground. Now that I hammock camp with my dog, his pup tent goes lateral to my hammock, so I can no longer use that little set up.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taraH View Post
    Do you have a ridgeline on your hammock? If so, many different hammock brands, I'm thinking of Hammock Gear specifically, make little gear nets/organizers that you can hang from your ridgeline that are specifically designed to hold a few small items like a cell phone, head lamp, tissues, etc. This prevents them from getting lost in the hammock when you have your TQ/sleeping bag in it, plus there's less risk of it falling out of the cinched stuff sack that is attached to your hammock. I do hear what you are saying though about the lack of a "room". I found that having a little ground tarp was nice, coupled with using my tarp to create this space. When I camp with others, I set up on the edge of the campsite so that way I can just change in privacy behind my tarp, and then I have a dry space to fit my bag my hammock. I did buy a little $9 mesh gear hammock off amazon which worked really well with my webbing loops ENO Atlas straps- I suspended it with two carabiners off the excess under my hammock so my bag was off the ground. Now that I hammock camp with my dog, his pup tent goes lateral to my hammock, so I can no longer use that little set up.
    I like some sort of ridgeline organizer, and the HG version is good but any with some stitches to make 2-3 pockets is good IMO. It's really the only accessory I use for the hammock when backpacking, because I use the backpack itself to stow un-used gear and hang the pack off my head-end CL by the haul loop, per post #16 above.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    For a specific item, 2QZQ - now working with DutchWare - can make a custom ridgeline "bag". For example, you might want a size that will fit an iPad Mini (inside an outdoor case). Depending upon your trees and transportation method, you might just go for a full gear hammock; a small hammock that holds the gear/clothes that comes out of a pack or dry bag.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    The "what do you do if there are no suitable trees?" question stresses me out and makes me do a lot of research before I go somewhere.
    I'd love to see the geographic distribution of HF members. I suspect it's heavily weighted toward the eastern & northern US, where suitable trees are just about everywhere. Far easier to find suitable trees than it is to find a suitable place to pitch a tent.

Otherwise, just follow Shug for the answers to all your questions.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I'd love to see the geographic distribution of HF members. I suspect it's heavily weighted toward the eastern & northern US, where suitable trees are just about everywhere. Far easier to find suitable trees than it is to find a suitable place to pitch a tent.
    I think you're right. Finding a hammock spot stresses me out, too, here in Oregon.

Y'all got little baby mountains out there! Here on the west coast, "backpacking" usually means up in the mountains, and ranges from 4,000-10,000 feet. Those areas are near timberline and buried in snow until July. Many of the best backpacking destinations are places that have few trees, and the trees that grow there are small.

And in more recent years, wildfires have burned up much of the lower elevation places we hike in shoulder season when higher elevation hikes are snowed in. Burn zones are not good hammocking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123