Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
    If you are good about paying your bills, look into an airline credit card. I use the southwest card to purchase everything, then just pay it off every month. points add up quick.. My wife and i haven't payed for an airline ticket in years.. plus you can use points to help offset the cost of rental vehicles and hotel stays.. Southwest has a sign up incentive right now, for 40000 points if you sign up and spend a $1000 on the card in the first 3 months.. I would imagine you spend more than $1000 a month just on groceries.. 40000 points is probably enough for 2 trips, plus the unused points roll over to the next year.. Its a no brainer in my opinion if you plan to travel.

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sou...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    I fly a lot for business and use an airline card to pay for just about everything during business trips. That plus the hotel loyalty programs got me to Hangcon last year along with a hotel room the day before I flew back to dry out my gear.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I'm doing Dolly Sods next week, but Shining Rock Wilderness is now my plan b. I don't know the person off the top of my head, but thanks to him for posting a review today. Looks like a nice, totally new place for me.
    I've hiked most of the trails around Shining Rock and have a lot of the GPS tracks. I'd be more than willing to help with your plan as well.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    I've hiked most of the trails around Shining Rock and have a lot of the GPS tracks. I'd be more than willing to help with your plan as well.
    Thanks! TallPaul just informed me about the bear canister requirement which I want nothing to do with, so I scratched it. Plan A better work!

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Thanks! TallPaul just informed me about the bear canister requirement which I want nothing to do with, so I scratched it. Plan A better work!
    After my trip a couple weeks ago, I'm not carrying a bear can any more. If I can't convince a ranger that I'm not a yahoo and can hang my food PCT style where a bear has no chance, then I'll take the fine. There are a lot of tourons around Shining Rock that make it harder for everybody, though (bears included).

You could always hit Linville Gorge. Their permit requirement goes away tomorrow.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvankirk View Post
    You could always hit Linville Gorge. Their permit requirement goes away tomorrow.
    It crossed my mind but that's close to 10hrs which is too much, at least for this trip. Didn't know about the permits, another thing I don't do. (Man I sound like a real batch!)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/WM bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I’ve thought about uber/lyft and while they can get you to a remote trail head, what about pickup getting off the trail? What happens if no one shows and you more than likely have no cell? Even if you have satellite texting it would likely take a while and then you have the problem of making your flight.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Ideas:
    1. Check on meetup.com of local hiking/camping groups. You can post on the group's discussion board or join one of their events.
    2. Discover if the park has a Friend's group and have them ask their members if they can help you out.
    3. Ask your own Facebook friends if they know anybody in that area.
    4. Find hiking/camping group or state/national Facebook groups and ask there.
    5. Ask here on HF and other camping/hiking forums like WhiteBlaze.
    6. Call and ask the park rangers.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123