Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Flying then getting to trail head

Other than the obvious rental car, is there some other method I'm missing? I hate to spend $250 on a rental to basically just park it at the trail head for a week. But I doubt an hour ride in an Uber is any cheaper or even possible.

I'm looking at expanding my menu farther out. Just kicking around numbers:

Flying/Rental
    $547 for a flight, rental and gas.

Driving own vehicle entire way
    $151 in gas (plus wear and tear)

Driving rental entire way
    $401 for rental and gas

Flying is actually making some sense, especially since it cuts 8 hours off the travel time.

Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Time saved from flying is a great advantage. Plus you don’t have to drive yourself! Maybe if you were taking a big family that you had to pay for, a road trip is better. Ubers are a possibility. We took an Uber all the way from Fresno Airport to Yosemite valley one time! I don’t recall the price, but my best attempt at recollection would be around $190 for 3 people. One note about that is Uber can’t pick you up on the airport premises, so you simply have to walk across the street and it’s cool.

Private shuttles are also a thing. They often specialize in filling the niche of transporting hikers from airports to trailheads. When we section hiked the beginning of the AT in Georgia, we used a private shuttle to get to Amicalola. A private shuttle is much like an Uber in how it’s a person driving you in their own personal vehicle, but like I said they specialize in this niche. So they aren’t some random clueless person working for a big corporation like Uber. So they can help you with useful local hiker knowledge and know where the trailheads are and where to get supplies and good food and might have fuel at the ready to sell you etc. They are aware of the extended drive times it often takes and will at least be expecting a funky, dirty hiker with a big backpack when they come to pick you up. They also serve as a good local emergency contact. Just call them up if you need to change your pickup time.

We simply read the AT guide for a list of shuttles that operate in the area we would be.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Where are you flying to maybe someone can give you a ride?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I'd probably end up renting the car.. but here's a few other ideas.

Go with somebody else & split the rental car cost.

Car rental prices fluctuate so keep checking even after you book. Search for nearby off-airport car rentals. Uber to there.

Go to a place where trails are relatively near the airport. Search Google for private shuttles from the park to the airport.
    - Zion NP (Las Vegas)
    - Colorado mountains (Denver)
    - Olympic NP (Seattle/Tacoma)
    - Yosemite (SFO or Fresno). The YARTS bus ranges outside the partk. One other nice thing about Yosemite is you can get on/off their park buses at various stops, so I've gotten dropped off at one trailhead & ended on another.

Train to Glacier NP.. and then bus from there? Been awhile since I've looked. We did this from MN but rented a car in Glacier as the trail we got approved to hike wasn't convient to buses.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    And are you using Google Matrix for checking flight prices?
    I was helping somebody with a flight from Charlotte area to Spain & it was like $300 cheaper to fly out of Greenville/Spartunburg. Sure its an extra 2 hr drive each way but $300 would be worth it to me.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I forgot to add long term parking for the flying option, so approaching $600 total. I hate to bother people for a ride, but could.

Life's hard...I'll go camp in my yard.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Personally,I would drive and spend the money I "saved" on more gear that I really don't need!

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Yes, if there is a more economical way, that rental car sitting there is what I call "substantial money down the toilet." I hate that. I would try hitchhiking first for two hours before renting that car. But -- before getting on the plane, I would want to know the exact current laws for that state about hitchhiking, not misinformation which is easily available. Often you can get that from the main office of the state police who will cite the number and letter of the regulation. I've learned about several state regulations that way over the years. They've always been very helpful. Local cops are often misinformed, especially where I live. Sometimes it is allowed but not at on and off ramps, or other restrictions. And if hitchhiking turned out to be feasible, I would wear a big smile, have the pack on my back, clean cut appearance with no questionable clothing, and an easily read handheld sign stating my final destination, such as "Hiker headed toward Yosemite." Truckers are more likely to pick you up I am told, partly for the company.

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I've thought that maybe their should be some kind of meetup area on the forum where people could arrange trips with others or even rides. Maybe somebody local could tag along as a guide. I would consider giving somebody a ride to a trailhead if it wasn't too far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast