Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    netless hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    undecided

2" wide suspension ideas.

I did a quick search but didn't find any information with what I'm looking for. if there already is a thread to this let me know.

I am a heavier guy who loves nature. currently I am using 1" wide spider/poly webbing from dutch with a marlin spike (added with a whoopie sling for extra length if needed) as suspension. I like the marlin spike and toggle because I know it's not going to slip on me. I have tried cinch buckles and the like but they always make me feel as though they may slip (I have had some slip but Ithink it was mainly the type of webbing I was using) and I don't like that Idea. I really care about the trees I know they are hardy but sometimes when removing the suspension I am noticing a little bit of wear on the bark even when double wrapping x-pattern. I have decided to take a little bit of a hit on the weight and upgrade to 2" suspension. the problem is the 2" poly is not the easiest to marlin spike with my current toggles and I don't exactly see the need to bring 7-10 feet of the stuff when only 2-4 is being wrapped around the tree.

Does anyone have any experience using 2" wide webbing that could give some advice?

I have thought of an idea to DIY a 1"-2" combo that might work, looks a bit silly but It might work. this is attached below.
    2_ webbing.png

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    What about using a 2" tree hugger (loops at both ends), and larkshead a 1" strap onto one hugger loop and the tail end of the strap threaded through the other hugger loop.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    If you are going DIY, you are on the right track but instead of the secondary as you have drawn, just sew 6-12" of the 1" onto the 2" as a section of adjustable ladder bar on your front loop end. That section would barely see any stress loading if you are running your suspension correctly. So it would look like

()()()()()()[_______}-------------- Hammock

Matter of fact, I like that idea so much I may just borrow it.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I recently purchased 4 foot long 2inch wide Spider 1.5 from Dutch with 12 feet of Spider 1.5 x one inch.
    I put an Evo loop on one sewed loop of the hugger.On smaller trees I run the excess hugger and the strap thru the Evo loop,wrap around the tree until I get to the 1 inch strap and pull it thru the Evo loop.

At that point a MSH with a toggle can easily be used on the 1 inch Spider or a Beckit hitch or J bend could be tied.The MSH knot for this material is not exactly large but I tested it the other day under load and it worked ok.Whether it's needed or not I can't say but I have wrapped a rubber band on my CL's so that it stays more closed at the MSH knot.Yeah,the MSH knot and toggle idea has always preyed on my nerves but nothing bad has happened yet but I am always picky about what is under the hammock in case of a fall.Here's a pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

2" wide suspension ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    What about using a 2" tree hugger (loops at both ends), and larkshead a 1" strap onto one hugger loop and the tail end of the strap threaded through the other hugger loop.
    This is what comes to mind for me too. And no need for an offshoot. Just double or triple wrap the skinny trees.

Hammock
    netless hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    undecided
    Quote Originally Posted by mab0852 View Post
    That section would barely see any stress loading if you are running your suspension correctly. ...

Matter of fact, I like that idea so much I may just borrow it.
    Take my idea! I'm all for open source. Heck I wouldn't have any of my hammock stuff without trying to improve others ideas and so forth. I see what you mean, I think my thought of the second one was in case a double wrap put too much of the 1" on the tree. I think I try the second for now and try it on a couple of different sized trees. I can always rip the stitching if it is just pointless. I'll get back to you if it is a help, hinderance, or just useless. I'm excited to experiment.

Hammock
    netless hexon 1.6
    Suspension
    undecided
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I think this is essentially what I planned on doing, and I guess a hugger would technically be more versatile since my design is more of one trick pony. I was just thinking weight savings for the 2" hugger most of the time they come in 4'-7' and I wanted to try to cut it down to 3' since typically the trees around me are around 1'-2' diameter and the "Carabiner" end sees almost no friction while the "back end" and hammock end see the most. I'll look into it more. Maybe a 3' hugger(2") with a 6" lead loop and a 1.5' tail end(both 1").

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Dutchware has 2" wide kevlar huggers.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    You might want to get two different length huggers. Maybe a 3 foot and a 4 foot. That way you could have options. The 4 foot may go twice around a small tree and the 3 foot on the larger tree, or when the 3 foot is too short then the 4 foot one will be good to have.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I have a interesting idea. Make a series of 2” wide huggers. Each 12”- 24” long (or whatever really). Then splice a continuous loop of amsteel through one loop of each hugger so that it is non-removable. When you need to lengthen your hugger, you just lark the amsteel loop of one hugger to the webbing loop of another one. You would leave the excess hanging down the tree for the unexpected skinny trees. Allows you to take only what you need for the trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast