Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    One thing to keep in mind is, as the trees get further apart you have to put the suspension higher to keep the best/correct angle. You can use the Hammock Calculator at:

http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

to determine the suspension height for your given tree distance and hammock length. You can decide how high above your head you can reach comfortably. Then, for your (10ft or 11ft?) hammock you can determine the maximum tree distance within that comfort zone. Finally, estimate the max tree diameter you'll be using and then you can determine the necessary strap length.

If you like the daisy chain suspension - I've used it for a few years; very quick, very simple - note that ENO makes an XL atlas. The downside is they just made the "around the tree" strap longer rather than add more loops. As a result, if you need to hang for smaller diameter trees, you either warp the non-loop end around twice (more difficult to adjust) or wrap around the tree with the loop end so you'll have loops starting right at the tree.

Also, sources like DutchWare have lightweight looped webbing you can order at almost any length (lighter than the Altas straps too).

The Second Edition of Ultimate Hang is a good in-house reference but if you were going to take a book into the field, the First Edition, is much more packable.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    I received my ropes finally.
    They are 0,6mm wide and 5m long. Not that kind of dyneema one can use to make whoopie sling unfortunately. Though 100% polyester...
    How can I use it, to gain some extra length?
    15733898858842488537491079060097.jpg15733898858842488537491079060097.jpg

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Guess it's gonna be bowline or figure 8....
    Any fast release alternatives? Don't want to lose strength because of series of knots on the rope...

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    I am thinking of using kind of marlin spike hitch on the strap side. What kind of stick should I use (I am 110kg)? How can I fasten the stick in the atlas strap?

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Could a prusik knot made of 550 paracord be an alternative at the hammock end?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Tips and tricks for extension

A marlin spike hitch can join a rope and a strap together. Will not slip, will not jam. Easy disconnect.
    This particular marlin spike hitch requires a strong crushproof toggle or stick
    Put both strap and rope in your palm. Short loose ends dangling down closest to you. Tie marlin spike hitch with both strap and rope at same time, insert toggle, and tighten. The long ends go in opposite directions. Strap goes to tree and rope goes to hammock. It’s also possible to use same “knot” at tree and hammock.
    On your hammock adventures you will see other ways to suspend your hammock, at group hangs, YouTube, Ultimate Hang by Derek Hansen. And advertising from our beloved cottage vendors.

Shug has three or more videos addressing your questions. Informative and fun

Your suspension might go through a few changes along way—part of the fun
    As long as you are airborne, it’s all gravy...

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Thanks, gonna try it.
    What should I use to get a safe crash proof toggle?
    Can I use a toggle with a daisy chain suspension system? Thought I could insert a toggle in one of the loops (with or without extra fastening) and bowline on the rope. Can this work or or would be hazardous?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by drbodyjr View Post
    Thanks, gonna try it.
    What should I use to get a safe crash proof toggle?
    Can I use a toggle with a daisy chain suspension system? Thought I could insert a toggle in one of the loops (with or without extra fastening) and bowline on the rope. Can this work or or would be hazardous?
    Some use hammock rated carabiners as toggles
    Rated 1500 to 3000 pounds

You can use a stick or section of tree branch. Strong enough if you can’t break it with your hands

Might be able to use toggle with daisy chain webbing. Make a fixed loop in your rope with an eye splice or alpine butterfly loop. If that’s too hard, make fixed loop by doubling rope and tie an overhand or double overhand knot.
    Put fixed loop through daisy chain and put toggle in fixed loop, put a round turn around toggle or a couple extra wraps. Place under load.

If it holds—you are flying!

Always test your gear by loading slowly as you get in hammock, close to soft ground.

Good luck

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    HelikonTex Superta
    Insulation
    ENO Vulcan
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Thank You for the recommendation!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Jeff Myers at Myers Tech sells evo loops that are quick disconnect.
    I have videos listed on YouTube
    David Hughes Phantom Grapplers Recommended Ties part 1 and part 2
    Also good to go to a couple group hammock hangs to see lots of different rigs firsthand.
    Sometimes not good to hang hammock on trees spaced far apart. This has to do with angle of hang with 30* angle ideal with less forces applied to suspension than say a flat or horizontal suspension. This can yield unsafe load forces on your suspension and trees.
    This can be avoided with longer suspensions attached higher up tree than most anyone would normally reach. The average hammocker attaches suspension at reachable heights while standing by tree.
    Best way to avoid this over stress of suspensions and trees is to try to use trees spaced 15 feet apart, maybe maximum 20 feet apart.

Lots of Dutch Bling is quick disconnect as well as loop aliens and turtle ties

Good luck. Some fun, some trial and error—like most of us do frequently, and some videos, like Shug’s will help you hone your own personal style

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast