Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mab0852 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love Brandon and Warbonnet, but in my opinion Warbonnet's cinches are best used as weigh in the bottom of your trash can.
    I'm surprised to hear that. I started with the standard strap/buckle suspension on my blackbird back in 2012. Still going strong with zero issues. Then I bought two Traveler hammocks with the same suspension. Then once I started trying other hammocks from Dutchware and SLD, I ordered them without suspension so I could add my own...the Warbonnet Strap/Buckle suspension.

So I have five total now ranging from 7 years old to one year old. No issues or complaints. I tried the buckles from Dutchware but didn't care for the amsteel wrapped a bunch. The Warbonnet setup is simple and compact with just a loop of cord around two triangles.

As far as separating them, I don't think it gets any simpler. Actually, I guess it does since they added the mini pull cord recently, but none of mine have those. Don't need it. Just put about 2" of slack in the hammock by grabbing it and separate the buckles a little. It slips right out. I can do it with gloves, mittens, in complete dark

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Paul/OneClick, I'm betting I weigh ~2x what you guys do and that is definitely a factor in my opinion/complaint. I'm not a fan of Dutch's regular cinch buckles either for the same reason, but the Beetles are a different ball game especially since you can completely unhook from them and the slots are too small for the strap to twist or bunch up. There's definitely something to Brandon's originals as Dutch's Junebugs are a pretty close copy of them. I switched pretty quickly from original blackbird setup to Dutch buckles, then Spiders, and finally settled in on the Beetles as the best overall option. I really like being able to completely disconnect my hammock without changing the adjustment of my suspension. It comes in super handy when it's raining and I want to stow my hammock so I have full access under the tarp or just throw up my straps without unpacking the rest of my hammock while I wait on it to calm down a bit. It's also nice in certain situations where I get my elevation off (usually when pitched on a slope) and want to flip ends to get my feet on the high side. I'm just not a fan of having to thread and unthread my straps to separate my hammock. That's the same reason I use Dutch Clips and don't thread my straps through their own loop or use knots on my guy lines that require me threading feet of line over and over to tie them. Come to think of it, I won't even buy a motorcycle helmet with double D rings for the same reason. Threading things just annoys me and I can tie knots with the best of them. Not saying it doesn't work great for you guys and a lot of other folks, it's just less than optimal for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Yeah, I could never get the beckett hitch tight enough for a comfortable hang more than a foot off the ground. Trying to do a j-bend was making me j-rage.

I am thankful for my strap/cinch buckle system. It's truly the easiest for me.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    In my notes I am showing our Dynaweave webbing tied to a 7/64" amsteel cont. loop using a single/normal slipped becket hitch...showing that to slip at 350-400 lbs, and to hold until webbing failure when modified with some sort of backup (like the modified beckett we show, and with other backups have similar results).

One thing to mention (maybe relevant to you maybe not), Some people are tying a becket that is actually a slipped half hitch and not actually a correctly done beckett. (if it doesn't tie around the two strands of the amsteel loop it isn't right)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by mab0852 View Post
    The Warbonnet's are too hard to separate/adjust with any load in the hammock.
    Watch this video to understand the benefit of adding a pull cord to a buckle system like the WB buckles.

https://youtu.be/jWT8xKgaVMI

As a matter of fact, WB is now selling their buckles with this new modification for a little while now. I use the June Bug buckles by Dutch because I appreciate the thick and rounded profile they have. I believe this will be the most gentle on the webbing and amsteel loops. I just got some Venom Hybrid straps from RSBTR that I am looking forward to testing out.

I’m kind of interested in trying out the Autumn UL Breeze buckles too.

https://www.autumnultralight.com/pro...breeze-buckles

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Got it, just different techniques I guess. I never once thought about disconnecting my straps from the hammock in almost 8 years.

Images
    Beetles are a pretty awesome evolution of the cinch buckle. Lots of people like to be able to remove the straps from the hammock, and the Beetles make that extremely easy. Besides being more expensive than just about any other of the buckle types, I'm struggling to think of any downsides. They do have a couple unique features:

- The dual hooks allow you to use them to hang the dogbones of a bridge hammock, thereby shortening the minimum span between trees by 1-2 feet.
    - The hole in the Beetle buckles allows for the installation of a spreader bar for hanging 2 hammocks side by side. It's not the only method for doing that, but it's a feature that's unique among cinch buckles when you don't have large diameter trees to hang from.

Ok, one other potential downside is that they have a recommended weight rating of 300lbs, which is less than the Warbonnet ones which are 400lbs.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    - The hole in the Beetle buckles allows for the installation of a spreader bar for hanging 2 hammocks side by side. It's not the only method for doing that, but it's a feature that's unique among cinch buckles when you don't have large diameter trees to hang from.
    That is another reason I love then. I hang double with my wife using a spreader all the time. So much easier than trying to find a big tree or one with a Y that's just right!

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur + bugnet
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    Trailwinder/EE Rev
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I just paid good money for a set of those off Ebay. The pair of them 15' long weigh 1.52 oz. I think these straps with a J-bend is now my go to suspension.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    It’s interesting how two people can have completely different experiences with a product.

Been using them for close to 7 years and not had them slip or fray the strap. I also find them easy to use - in fact they are my go to for non-WB hammocks. Just tilt the buckle back and it slides up and down the strap. The new iteration of buckle has a cord you can pull on to assist with this. I never had to put a knot in the strap - that can lead to the issues of the buckle not staying straight and causing issues with the strap. Finally you can remove the straps from the hammock by pulling them out of the buckles. Easy to re-thread when needed.

Beetles buckles do offer similar ease of use (from what I can tell, never owned them) and I’m always tempted by the lighter Spider straps that can used with them. So I may be joining you on the Beetle buckle thing.
    I agree with different results because I have the spider straps and the beetle buckles wouldn't hold completely - some not much but some slippage and I couldn't adjust them after load was applied very efficiently. They began to fray my poly straps so I sold them.
    Funny but everything is subjective - Truly HYOH and as a YouTuber I once followed always said "don't be scared" to try new stuff

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Images
    In his last paragraph, I think Paul was talking about Dutch's black and white Spider/Poly straps that can be used with the Beetle Buckles. At 5.5 grams per foot, they are for sure lighter than basic polyester straps.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/uh...traps-huggers/

Not to be confused with Dutch's Spider Web straps. At only 1.5 grams per foot, they're crazy light, but like the Dynaweave in this thread's first post, they don't work properly with any buckle systems. The material is too thin and slippery.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/sp...s-and-huggers/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12