Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images

Warbonnet custom straps...

I received my order in proper time and picked it up today to test with my new xlc.

The issue I have is with the polyester custom straps. They do not appear to work with the Warbonnet cinch buckles. They consistently slip when used and have a tendency to bunch up or fold over into a tube...which I know is not safe. I had to stay with my partially destroyed, but reliable, poly straps I bought off Amazon 3 years ago in order to test out the hammock today without fear of landing on the ground and messing up my new hammock. I even tried tying a half-hitch with a bight after the cinch buckle and they still slipped. A beckett hitch would also not hold with these straps. I am not certain what application they are meant for given their apparent high slippage factor.

I don't know if the problem is that they are too thin or too slippery to be used with Warbonnet cinch buckles...or both. What I do know is that they don't work....

Any advice is appreciated. I've sent this same info to Warbonnet today earlier and requested advice or a return.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC - DL
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Problem solved!
    Warbonnet answered promptly.

Hi Dm,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Unfortunately you received our Dynaweave straps by mistake instead of the polyester straps. The Dynaweave material is not recommend for use with adjustable buckles. I'm really sorry about the oversight on that. We'll have these remade with the polyester material and shipped out today.

R.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Ok, was gonna say those don't look like poly straps.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Ok, was gonna say those don't look like poly straps.
    What are....how are those "Dynaweave" straps used?
    I couldn't see how to use them in any setup I know of....

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Becket hitch or whoopie slings.

Edit:

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Yup, all of the ultralight webbing on the market lacks the friction required to work with any kind of hardware except for a toggle using a MSH knot. There are some hybrid materials that strike a balance, but they aren’t too much lighter than standard straps unfortunately. You can sell those straps for some good money though! Otherwise, you can learn the Becket hitch, or the J-Bend knot to make use of them as a way to save a few ounces on a backpacking trip. The disadvantage to doing so is that you will spend some time flattening them out where they contact the tree (for kindness to the tree and added friction) every time you go to use them. That, and until you practice a bunch with the Becket hitch, you will not get it right on the first try. Which takes some extra time as well to untie and retie until you master it. So you save a few ounces, but you lose at least a few minutes for every hang until you dial it in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Yeah, I could never get the beckett hitch tight enough for a comfortable hang more than a foot off the ground. Trying to do a j-bend was making me j-rage.

I am thankful for my strap/cinch buckle system. It's truly the easiest for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Yeah, I could never get the beckett hitch tight enough for a comfortable hang more than a foot off the ground. Trying to do a j-bend was making me j-rage.

I am thankful for my strap/cinch buckle system. It's truly the easiest for me.

It sounds like the Dynaweave straps would be little use to you then. Assuming they weren't damaged by trying to use them with the cinch buckles, I think you could easily sell them. A 20' pair of those would be $62 + shipping from Warbonnet. No doubt you could at least reclaim the $22 + shipping that the pair of polyester ones would have cost you.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Don't get me wrong, I love Brandon and Warbonnet, but in my opinion Warbonnet's cinches are best used as weigh in the bottom of your trash can. I love their products and these were a leap forward when they came out, but all of my stuff including my XLC is now running 18" dogbones through the gather out to Dutch Beetle Buckle suspension. They work great with poly and even better with his Spyder straps. The Warbonnet's are too hard to separate/adjust with any load in the hammock (TQ/UQ) and once loaded with body weight they tend to creep, twist and let go or worse abrade your straps as you have pictured. They may not do it quite as bad, but they will still do what you have shown with the poly straps. If I have to knot them off anyway, then I may as well just use a marlin spike and ditch the buckles. The other deal breaker for me is not being able to really quickly separate my hammock from my straps in an instant without changing my setup (for example I want to swap head and foot end for whatever reason or my strap are wet or covered in sap.) For what they cost, I really wish Warbonnet would just team up with Dutch and run his stuff out of the box or at least give an upgrade option for his stuff.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mab0852 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love Brandon and Warbonnet, but in my opinion Warbonnet's cinches are best used as weigh in the bottom of your trash can. I love their products and these were a leap forward when they came out, but all of my stuff including my XLC is now running 18" dogbones through the gather out to Dutch Beetle Buckle suspension. They work great with poly and even better with his Spyder straps. The Warbonnet's are too hard to separate/adjust with any load in the hammock (TQ/UQ) and once loaded with body weight they tend to creep, twist and let go or worse abrade your straps as you have pictured. They may not do it quite as bad, but they will still do what you have shown with the poly straps. If I have to knot them off anyway, then I may as well just use a marlin spike and ditch the buckles. The other deal breaker for me is not being able to really quickly separate my hammock from my straps in an instant without changing my setup (for example I want to swap head and foot end for whatever reason or my strap are wet or covered in sap.) For what they cost, I really wish Warbonnet would just team up with Dutch and run his stuff out of the box or at least give an upgrade option for his stuff.
    It’s interesting how two people can have completely different experiences with a product.

Been using them for close to 7 years and not had them slip or fray the strap. I also find them easy to use - in fact they are my go to for non-WB hammocks. Just tilt the buckle back and it slides up and down the strap. The new iteration of buckle has a cord you can pull on to assist with this. I never had to put a knot in the strap - that can lead to the issues of the buckle not staying straight and causing issues with the strap. Finally you can remove the straps from the hammock by pulling them out of the buckles. Easy to re-thread when needed.

Beetles buckles do offer similar ease of use (from what I can tell, never owned them) and I’m always tempted by the lighter Spider straps that can used with them. So I may be joining you on the Beetle buckle thing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast