Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airport hanging

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL

Airport hanging

Alright, after an initial perusing of the forum, I see a number of people are against hanging a hammock in airports, afraid it will give us a bad name, I guess? But I am not sure what the issue is. If one sleeps across four or five chairs, are they not taking up even more space, not to mention the fact that there is no way they are comfortable, will likely not be well rested, and crabby to every other passenger they come across and airport staff. Seems to me the responsible thing is to use a hammock 😁.

My question really is, has anyone had many run ins at airports doing this? I have a 7 hour, late night layover in Honolulu next month on my way to Micronesia, and I have tried finding a way to ask the Honolulu airport directly, but they don't have any contact link on their website. I definitely don't want to ruffle any feathers, but it is a weird layover length that I don't want to get a hotel for just 4 hours, but I don't want to be unnecessarily miserable. Anyone have luck with this, and specifically at the Honolulu airport? Thanks for the input. Happy hanging.

By the way, going scuba diving, follow us at Scuba Savvy.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    New things are scary! But really it could be a safety hazard, people getting "clothes-lined"? Or possible damage to the structure once people start hanging from things that were not meant to take a load. If it did catch on and more than one person is doing it, they could start taking up too much walking space and get in the way of passengers, airport maintenance, and the guy that drives the old folks car and yells "coming thru!!" Lots of variables.

How do you propose to hang a hammock in your typical airport?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    It depends on the airport, but I have been in plenty that have a wide diameter pillar over in a corner near a set of seats that are all bolted to the floor. And in some tropical airports there are even outdoor areas with trees that are on the other side of security.obviously one would want to ask if you could hang from those trees but if an airport doesn't have a problem with it and you aren't affecting anyone I don't see why one could not hang in one of those areas.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    More likely an insurance and liability issue.
    Folks may start setting up tents for privacy next.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    More likely an insurance and liability issue.
    Folks may start setting up tents for privacy next.
    Shug
    +1....

From a security standpoint I could understand it being considered a risk factor if you have accompanying luggage that is out of immediate view and reach. Sure... asleep... your eyes are closed, but it's more likely for a person sleeping uncomfortably to be more aware of surrounding noises and crack and eye open for a luggage check. In a hammock, you're likely sleeping more soundly and have to raise up and peer over an obstacle... let alone being within the definition of "easy reach".

It wouldn't be hard for an officer to justify it as leaving your bags unattended.

Just a point to ponder...
    Last edited by Yarome; 10-24-2019 at 11:29.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    My 2 cents on this is that hammocks and airports aren't necessarily a good fit for reasons others have already noted. Hammocks are good in many other non-traditional places though. I guess if it passes the common sense test, it works. That said, I've hung in some fairly unconventional places, although now mostly hang in the privacy and comfort of my backyard.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Airport hanging

Oops wrong thread. Ignore me, lol.
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 10-24-2019 at 13:30.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You are lucky that your airport provides chairs where you can span three or four in order to lie down. Most I've been in specifically have an arm rest between seats that prevent a person from taking more real estate than the one seat offers. You would be better off with an ¾ length inflatable pad - easier to find a quiet corner on the floor. But the other issues of social awareness - what's going on around you, where your bags are, etc. - come into play.

When I've had to stay "over night" in an airport - arriving about midnight when all the concessions are closed and bathrooms are being cleaned - we just do puzzles (jumble, sudoku, crossword) and/or just suffer through it. I recall our ancestors came it the west coast by covered wagon, eating possum and squirrel. I figure I can endure one night in an airport. But it still isn't fun.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I recall our ancestors came it the west coast by covered wagon, eating possum and squirrel.
    Each other when it gets bad. Really bad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast