Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Up! Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Cloudburst w/ Door Kit vs. Custom Superfly - What am I missing?

Hey Everyone,
    I'm looking to purchase a Warbonnet Ridgerunner soon and am exploring what tarp option I want to go with. The Cloudburst is designed for the RR, but its stock length is only 11'. Looking through threads and on the Warbonnet website, it looks like they recommend a 13' ridgeline to be able to close doors around the suspension triangle. So, I'm kind of confused. It seems to me that I can order a custom 13' Superfly which already comes with attached doors for $165. If I go the Cloudburst route, it's only an 11' ridgeline and I'd need to order a door kit for another $75 putting me at $190 with less length, and to make it a custom 13' Cloudburst, I'm now up to $220. Am I missing something obvious why I wouldn't go the Superfly route? Thanks in advance.

Chris

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I'm guessing the door kit is for those that don't want/need the extra coverage every time they hang, but still want the flexibility without having to buy another tarp. Or for people that originally bought regular hex tarp, then found they wanted the end coverage.

If you want the doors, I'd go with the 13' Superfly since it's cheaper.

From their documentation:

We offer all our tarp models in 11′, 12′ and 13′ lengths. This length refers to the length of the Ridge-seam. In general, the 11′ tarps are most appropriate for end gathered style hammocks like our Blackbird, XLC and Eldorado, while the 13′ versions are best suited for bridge hammocks like our Ridgerunner. The doors on any of our 13′ “Fly” series of tarps will fully close around the suspension triangle of the Ridgerunner.

If you are ordering a 13′ tarp, by default the panel pulls will be spaced at 77″ apart to be most compatible with the poles of Bridge-style hammocks like our Ridgerunner and they will be spaced slightly less than that on the 11′ and 12′ versions. 13′ tarps will also come with 2 rings on the underside of the ridgeseam to attach your Ridgerunner bugnet cords to.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    I have the WB Superfly but am using the WBBB....the Superfly is HUGE so I don't think you would have any problems with the WBRR....I would though just give the guys a call at WB and speak to them personally and they will be able to fully help you; they are great to deal with!
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislwillers View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    I'm looking to purchase a Warbonnet Ridgerunner soon and am exploring what tarp option I want to go with. The Cloudburst is designed for the RR, but its stock length is only 11'. Looking through threads and on the Warbonnet website, it looks like they recommend a 13' ridgeline to be able to close doors around the suspension triangle. So, I'm kind of confused. It seems to me that I can order a custom 13' Superfly which already comes with attached doors for $165. If I go the Cloudburst route, it's only an 11' ridgeline and I'd need to order a door kit for another $75 putting me at $190 with less length, and to make it a custom 13' Cloudburst, I'm now up to $220. Am I missing something obvious why I wouldn't go the Superfly route? Thanks in advance.

Chris
    I think your numbers are right. Pretty simply, if you want the doors, the Superfly is $55 cheaper than a Cloudburst + door kit, whether you choose 11' or 13'. If you don't want to use the doors on the Superfly at any given time, you can tie them back. If you don't care about having doors, the Cloudburst is $20 cheaper than a Superfly whether you choose 11' or 13'.

The rectangular Cloudburst will give you a little more usable area under the protection of the tarp. It also has a tie out point in the middle on each side, though you can add that to a custom Superfly for $7 if you want.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of a set of external poles, unless you plan to buy them elsewhere or use trekking poles. The external pole kit is $35 for a Superfly and $40 for a Cloudburst. {Though if you order a 13' Superfly, they will space the panel pulls the same as they would on a Cloudburst, so you may need to opt for the longer $40 poles either way. You can't order it like that using the custom Superfly builder, but you can add the longer poles a la carte from the Tarp Accessories page.}

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I don't think the 13 ft SuperFly has to be custom unless you want a specific color. The 13ft option is selectable from the standard product description page. The 13ft choice has the pullouts specifically spaced for the Ridge Runner panel pulls and it also has interior d-rings for bugnet attachment. Note that in addition to seam sealing the panel pullouts, you also need to seal those d-rings on the ridge line.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I don't think the 13 ft SuperFly has to be custom unless you want a specific color. The 13ft option is selectable from the standard product description page. The 13ft choice has the pullouts specifically spaced for the Ridge Runner panel pulls and it also has interior d-rings for bugnet attachment. Note that in addition to seam sealing the panel pullouts, you also need to seal those d-rings on the ridge line.
    That's true, and the stock version is $10 cheaper if you spec them out same for same - but you can only get the stock 13 footer in 30D silnylon.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    13' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Up! Karo-Step
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I think your numbers are right. Pretty simply, if you want the doors, the Superfly is $55 cheaper than a Cloudburst + door kit, whether you choose 11' or 13'. If you don't want to use the doors on the Superfly at any given time, you can tie them back. If you don't care about having doors, the Cloudburst is $20 cheaper than a Superfly whether you choose 11' or 13'.

The rectangular Cloudburst will give you a little more usable area under the protection of the tarp. It also has a tie out point in the middle on each side, though you can add that to a custom Superfly for $7 if you want.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of a set of external poles, unless you plan to buy them elsewhere or use trekking poles. The external pole kit is $35 for a Superfly and $40 for a Cloudburst. {Though if you order a 13' Superfly, they will space the panel pulls the same as they would on a Cloudburst, so you may need to opt for the longer $40 poles either way. You can't order it like that using the custom Superfly builder, but you can add the longer poles a la carte from the Tarp Accessories page.}
    What does the middle pullout do that the other two pullouts wouldn't?

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    They have it listed, but every option is listed as out of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    That's true, and the stock version is $10 cheaper if you spec them out same for same - but you can only get the stock 13 footer in 30D silnylon.
    And I would definitely prefer in SilPoly for the (lack of) water retention.

Thanks for all the replies so far everyone!

Chris

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chrislwillers View Post
    What does the middle pullout do that the other two pullouts wouldn't?
    Maybe a little more security and less flapping in strong wind, due to the lack of cat cuts on the edges. Maybe a little more versatility for other setups, which might not necessarily factor in for normal hammock use.

• + New Posts