Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Couple Top Quilt Questions

Starting the hunt for my first top quilt (feel like there are more options for this than anything else!) and had a couple of questions coming from a sleeping bag.

1. Does anyone use a sleeping bag liner or something similar with a top quilt? I learned pretty quick that when I use a sleeping bag I tend to really sweaty and start sticking to the material leading to an uncomfortable night sleep (regardless of temperature). Then I found my sleeping bag liner which totally solved the problem. I thought a top quilt might breath a bit better but overall it is basically sleeping bag material over much the same section of your body so might run into the same issue.

2. I am a side sleeper and roll over a lot throughout the night side to side. Got used to needed wiggling in a sleeping bag in my hammock but thought a top quilt with the open bottom might not be so kind to the total rotation of my body. That a problem for anyone? Or does the top quilt stay with you pretty good when to roll over while mostly asleep?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    1. I wear clothing in the hammock, so no Liner material is needed.

2. I'm also a restless side sleeper, but have no problem with a top quilt. I do need to tuck in the sides once I roll over.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'
    No liner for me. If I get hot I stick body parts out until I cool down. Top quilt makes that way easier than a sleeping bag. I also wear a light layer of clothing unless it is hot outside...but I hardly ever camp in hot weather.

I have one TQ with snaps for the foot box. They keep coming unsnapped and I can feel them on my legs and it bugs me. Get a sewn footbox if you think that will be an issue for you.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    Starting the hunt for my first top quilt (feel like there are more options for this than anything else!) and had a couple of questions coming from a sleeping bag.

1. Does anyone use a sleeping bag liner or something similar with a top quilt? I learned pretty quick that when I use a sleeping bag I tend to really sweaty and start sticking to the material leading to an uncomfortable night sleep (regardless of temperature). Then I found my sleeping bag liner which totally solved the problem. I thought a top quilt might breath a bit better but overall it is basically sleeping bag material over much the same section of your body so might run into the same issue.

2. I am a side sleeper and roll over a lot throughout the night side to side. Got used to needed wiggling in a sleeping bag in my hammock but thought a top quilt with the open bottom might not be so kind to the total rotation of my body. That a problem for anyone? Or does the top quilt stay with you pretty good when to roll over while mostly asleep?
    1) I have never used a liner. You can get fabric choices in TQs these days.
    2) The sewn foot box is a great choice.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Yeti 20
    Suspension
    homemade whoopies
    I've never felt the need to purchase a real topquilt because my mummy bag with 3/4 zipper works absolutely perfectly. A rectangular bag wouldn't work for me, but the very tapered mummy bag which I never liked much in a tent because there is so little room in it is perfect. It does have more material in the sides than I really need, but it's not a problem. If I was a hiker looking to shave every gram I'm sure I'd feel differently.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    1. No bag liner, just a light base layer (shorts, tshirt). If I get too warm, I stick out a leg or push off the tq.

2. I have a zippered footbox. I roll a lot at night, and the tq pretty much stays with me. If you're concerned about your sides, maybe go with a wider tq?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    1. No liner....I usually sleep in ultra thin long underwear and long/short sleeve shirt which totally negates that sticky feeling if you get sweaty. You can always slide the TQ off you to cool down if need be.
    2. I move around a lot; back and both sides non stop. The TQ always stays put more or less. Sometimes I might have to simply tuck it back under me if I feel the need. TQ's are great for movers and shakers in a hammock lol.
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    All great responses !!

1) I try to wear clean / fresh clothes in the hammock.... wanting to not only help w/ bears, but also to help keep my gear fresh and ... it just feels good !
    2) I'm a side sleeper as well... order the wider version, 1 step up from the std width and you'll be fine.. no need to go to extreme width or you'll have too much fabric to wrestle with
    3) 30deg and up.. I like a zip / drawcord footbox for venting options 20deg and down, I like a sewn footbox (warmer w/ no need to stuff a sock or hat in the drawcord opening.

I started, like many others w/ a partially unzipped sleeping bag and they really work quite well... the Under Quilt is THE biggest step up... moving to TQ's is nicer and oh-so comfy, but not nearly the step change like moving from a pad to an UQ !!

Good luck... lots of good vendors out there to choose from in every price range and design.. no best, plenty of greats !!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post

I started, like many others w/ a partially unzipped sleeping bag and they really work quite well... the Under Quilt is THE biggest step up... moving to TQ's is nicer and oh-so comfy, but not nearly the step change like moving from a pad to an UQ !!
    Absolutely the UQ is THE GAME CHANGER!
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    1) No Liner - I generally sleep in a base layer of some type. In the summer I may never even pull my quilt over me and in the winter I factor those layers into my sleep system. The other big reason is the fabrics available through the custom shops are much better than those used by your typical big box bag makers. Also in a bag the fabric is pulled more tightly against you since you are zipped in. With a quilt, it's just its own weight holding it down so you are far less prone to the type of stickiness you are talking about.

2) You can toss and turn much more freely in quilt. It doesn't have to really follow you. Since the hammock/underquilt fabric is wrapped around you too, the quilts is kind of naturally cradled in place. One thing to consider for this though is if you are ever going to go to ground with the quilt it needs to be wider than a dedicated hammock quilt. You loose that cradling effect and the quilt has to cover your full side sleeping height, plus pad height, plus a little extra drape to seal down the edges. Most of the cottage vendors have a FAQ that gives recommendations to cover this or you can just get the wide version and that's usually factored in unless you are a bigger person.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast