Thread: New Chameleon

New Chameleon

About to pull the trigger on a new Chameleon hammock and upgrade from my ENO but I’m concerned about my cocoon that I currently use. The Snugpak Cocoon is the only gear that I currently own and love. It would be a deal breaker if I found out I couldn’t use it with my new hammock.

I currently remove my ridge line, install my cocoon, and then reinstall my ridgeline. Does anyone see any reason why I wouldn’t be able to do the same thing w a new Chameleon or is the ridgeline permanently attached. Sorry for the newb question.

AG

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aginhouse View Post
    About to pull the trigger on a new Chameleon hammock and upgrade from my ENO but I’m concerned about my cocoon that I currently use. The Snugpak Cocoon is the only gear that I currently own and love. It would be a deal breaker if I found out I couldn’t use it with my new hammock.

I currently remove my ridge line, install my cocoon, and then reinstall my ridgeline. Does anyone see any reason why I wouldn’t be able to do the same thing w a new Chameleon or is the ridgeline permanently attached. Sorry for the newb question.

AG
    The ridgeline is not permanently attached to the Chameleon, but you do have to undo the continuous loop to remove it. If this will be a normal part of your setup routine, you might want to come up with a way that will make it quicker and easier to disconnect and reconnect. However, keep in mind whatever you choose needs to have a decent load rating, not a cheapo carabiner.

This might be just about the best piece of hardware for the job.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ti...geline-biners/

Note that if your suspension angles are correct, the ridgeline will not be under a great deal of tension. It looks like this Ti ridgeline biner is rated for 100 lbs. If you want something more bombproof, use a full size biner.

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    The ridgeline is not permanently attached to the Chameleon, but you do have to undo the continuous loop to remove it. If this will be a normal part of your setup routine, you might want to come up with a way that will make it quicker and easier to disconnect and reconnect. However, keep in mind whatever you choose needs to have a decent load rating, not a cheapo carabiner.

This might be just about the best piece of hardware for the job.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ti...geline-biners/
    I like it, thank you

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Can you use the bug net with the cocoon on?

Images
    I'm not sure about the particulars of the Cocoon you mentioned, but based on photos I'm seeing it looks like the Chameleon bugnet could get in the way of using that product. The net is removable of course, but if you're never going to use the net, you'd be better off with a netless hammock, which would be like an upgraded version of your Eno.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I'm not sure about the particulars of the Cocoon you mentioned, but based on photos I'm seeing it looks like the Chameleon bugnet could get in the way of using that product. The net is removable of course, but if you're never going to use the net, you'd be better off with a netless hammock, which would be like an upgraded version of your Eno.
    I agree. If you're committed to that 69 ounce (sixty-nine ounces!) Snugpak Cocoon, you're better off with a basic netless hammock. The Chameleon is more of a centerpiece of your hammock system, but if you already want the Snugpak Cocoon to be your centerpiece, then choose that.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    None or Z-Rest (it
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

New Chameleon

I agree. If you’re really looking to use the Cocoon, save the money and weight. Buy the netless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by aikirunner View Post
    I agree. If you’re really looking to use the Cocoon, save the money and weight. Buy the netless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Couldn’t use the bug net w the cocoon but in the winter I don’t need the big net. However, in the summer or warmer nights I would add the bug net and go w a lighter underquilt. I turn to the cocoon system when it’s in the 40’s. Pretty dang comfy!

69 nine ounces LOL. It’s def not a light weight backpacking option but very comfy if your car camping.

I appreciate everyone’s quick response. I’ll probably go w the basic hammock and then add the bug net in the spring or when a sale is announced.

• + New Posts