Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY tensa stand question - drilling question

What size holes should I drill in the 3/4 in conduit to connect?

I am not a very tool orientated person. What would be the easiest way to prevent the holes from cutting the amsteel line I plan to use. Is there something I can insert into the hole I知 not thinking of to prevent the line from being cut?

Thanks for thoughts!

Copper tubing peen hammered over has been used. Cmc4free posted this photo to another thread. If you do a search on "tensahedron" there are 2 realllllly big threads chock full of just about anything you could ever want to know about building one.

21e92f4efb7054122d46a7585068210f.jpeg

Images
    Yep, not my photo for the record. That photo is cross-posted on Tensa Outdoor's website, after having initially been posted here by another member, Rat. His initial post here:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1918795

In one of the aforementioned gigantic threads, there was some recent discussion about the particulars of installing the copper tubing grommets, which starts with this post:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1991162

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I haven't built a DIY stand (yet, I bought one), but I have read through the entirety of those threads. I always imagine that when I do build a stand, the peened cooper tubing inserts will be the solution I use for those holes. It seems like the most elegant solution to the drilled hole issue. Not necessarily a very difficult solution either.

My main problem is I live in a tiny condo and I have virtually no tools and a tiny budget. I was hoping there would be a very very simple solution I知 not thinking of. I currently just have the poles lashed. May keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by talon1974 View Post
    I was hoping there would be a very very simple solution I知 not thinking of.
    Well, I didn't follow through with the idea and don't know if would have worked out or not, but at one point I was considering hitting the automotive parts store and seeing if I could find a firewall grommet that would work. The plan was to use a bit of JB weld or similar in the groove to solidify it even more, but probably wouldn't be necessary if you found one with a good diameter and edge space fit on conduit.

Very tough and usually run 2 bucks or under each. This wouldn't be the right size, but just to give you an idea of what I mean.
    3LEU5_AW99.jpg

Images
    My main problem is I live in a tiny condo and I have virtually no tools and a tiny budget. I was hoping there would be a very very simple solution I知 not thinking of. I currently just have the poles lashed. May keep it that way.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1915478

This build offers a simpler solution, using rubber grommets that you'd just pop into place without tools. The post also gives the details that 1/2" holes were drilled and 3/8" grommets were used. (With these sort of grommets, there are actually 3 key dimensions - inner diameter, outer diameter, and material thickness. So probably the grommets are 3/8" I.D. x 1/2" O.D. x 1/16" thk)

DIY tensa stand question - drilling question

Ah. However, that build seemed to use fence railing. I think 1/2 inch holes on 3/4 inch emt conduit would excessively reduce the strength. Do you think a 3/8 hole would be enough? I知 wondering if I could get the Amsteel through that with the addition of the rubber grommet (if they even make a 3/8 grommet inner diameter.

What are those things called? Auto stores? Like autozone ya think?

Or am I totally off base and the 1/2 inch holes would be ok on the conduit?

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1915478

This build offers a simpler solution, using rubber grommets that you'd just pop into place without tools. The post also gives the details that 1/2" holes were drilled and 3/8" grommets were used. (With these sort of grommets, there are actually 3 key dimensions - inner diameter, outer diameter, and material thickness. So probably the grommets are 3/8" I.D. x 1/2" O.D. x 1/16" thk)

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    This build offers a simpler solution, using rubber grommets....
    And I would have known that if I had read every page of the build bible threads.

I "tried"... kinda sorta...

Images
    Ah. However, that build seemed to use fence railing. I think 1/2 inch holes on 3/4 inch emt conduit would excessively reduce the strength. Do you think a 3/8 hole would be enough? I知 wondering if I could get the Amsteel through that with the addition of the rubber grommet (if they even make a 3/8 grommet inner diameter.

What are those things called? Auto stores? Like autozone ya think?

Or am I totally off base and the 1/2 inch holes would be ok on the conduit?
    Are you going to use 7/64" Amsteel in your build? If so, the holes really only need to be slightly bigger than that, but maybe a doubled section of the cord has to pass through...?

Say you wanted to use the rubber grommets (and that's exactly what they're called):
    If using a single strand of 7/64" Amsteel, there's a size available that's 1/8" I.D. x 1/4" hole x 1/16" thk (so drill a 1/4" hole)
    If using a double strand of 7/64" Amsteel, there's a size available that's 1/4" I.D. x 3/8" hole x 1/16" thk (so drill a 3/8" hole)
    There's also 1/4" I.D. x 11/32" hole x 1/16" thk, which would mean drilling a smaller hole, but these might be harder to find if not using a specialty retailer like McMaster Carr. More common sizes will be available at hardware stores (in the drawers of the hardware aisle) or in auto parts stores.

Anyway, the forces on the poles are mostly compressive, especially near the ends. So a hole that seems large relative to the diameter of the tubing might not be as bad as you'd think.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast