Preventative Maintenance

I've got a tarp that's approaching 6 years old. I always store it clean and dry. Besides seam sealing, what should be done? How long should the materials last before it no longer repels water?

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Theoretically, the material should last indefinitely assuming little or no direct sunlight for extended periods. I have a silnylon tarp I used during my ground-dweller days that is in the neighborhood of 12 years old and it is still going strong. I use it occasionally when I sleep out on the deck. Other than keeping it clean and not storing it wet, I've done nothing in terms of maintenance.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    I've got a tarp that's approaching 6 years old. I always store it clean and dry. Besides seam sealing, what should be done? How long should the materials last before it no longer repels water?
    I agree with TrailRunner that they should (or could) last a long, long time. All depends on conditions, how frequently used, how hard/easy you are on your gear. I have known people who could destroy something in 2 days that would last me 2 decades.

That said, one thing to look for is stuff with polyurethane (PU) coatings. There are some silnylon tarps with PU coatings and these can break down over several years just sitting in the closet. You'll notice a distinctive smell and they'll have a somewhat sticky feeling. However, this is my experience from older gear so maybe they're improved over the years.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not to worry until it starts to fail. If it ever does. I have old tarps still going fine.
    Seems your taking good care of it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I agree with TrailRunner that they should (or could) last a long, long time. All depends on conditions, how frequently used, how hard/easy you are on your gear. I have known people who could destroy something in 2 days that would last me 2 decades.

That said, one thing to look for is stuff with polyurethane (PU) coatings. There are some silnylon tarps with PU coatings and these can break down over several years just sitting in the closet. You'll notice a distinctive smell and they'll have a somewhat sticky feeling. However, this is my experience from older gear so maybe they're improved over the years.
    Yep, I have experienced exactly the PU deterioration you describe more than once( and P.U. is very appropriate for the smell, as in Phew!) So far no sign of that on my old Sil-nylon tarps or under covers.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I have a 20+ year old GoreTex shell from EMS. The Goretex is still waterproof but the surface fabric has needed a reapplication of a DWR coating (durable water repellant) a few times. This is available in a spray bottle applicator from Nikwax (carried by REI or Amazon). I use the one marketed for clothing, TX Direct, but, they also offer one specifically for Tents and Gear, Tents and Gear Solarproof.

The TX Direct revives the water beading on my coat for 2-3 years per application. I have never used the Tents and Gear product

https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/product...erproofing.php

Good Luck
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Thanks everyone. Next time you see me at Louise's, the peach cobbler is on me

• + New Posts