Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF in Sylpoly
    Insulation
    Mod' WindHard Tiny
    Suspension
    Webbing + cinch
    I use a Massdrop Klymit Pillow X ultralight. I find the X seams in the pillow allow it to form and cradle my head in the hammock better. I know normal pillows can be underinflated to achieve a similar effect. I underinflate my pillow x too. But the X seams across the pillow are ready folding points in this one.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I have a Sea to Summit Aeros that's comfy, but honestly the best inflatable pillow I have is an Outdoor Vitals one. I don't inflate my pillows all the way, so I've found all but the Outdoor Vitals one to be really loud and crinkly.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Typically I use extra clothing for a pillow. It's hard to justify carrying any extra items. If you happen to be kayak camping, a sponge for keeping the kayak dry doubles as a nice pillow in a hammock. Cover it with a soft shirt and its basically temper pedic lol

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > If you happen to be kayak camping, a sponge ...

The sponge in my kayak is often wet because, you know, it's a sponge But I so carry a small felt bag and can stuff something like an outer jacket in there. Works great - though the "pillow" is more often used at the knee rather than at the head.

When looking at blowup pillows, I found the most expensive ones sounded like a bag of crunched cornflakes next to my ear. Either in this forum or somewhere else I read about that so was sure to try them out at REI. I'm pretty sure I ended up with a "quiet" Sea-to-Summit model (when I remember to bring it).

Occasionally I read about a stuff sack that, when turned inside out, has a felt side to make it a pillow. But that means whatever is stuffed inside as filler, is essentially encapsulated by what was the exterior of the bag. I prefer to keep outside surfaces, outside. However, as a dry bag, it should close air tight. So it could turned inside out (to bring the felt surface outside) be closed empty and still have some support from the air trapped inside. That would work.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 02-15-2020 at 14:00.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Not an inflatable, but I've been using a Arrowhead cub pillow for about 10 years
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I tried a Massdrop Klymit X but went back to stuffing clothing inside my Underquilt stuff sack.

I now use the Klymit X when sailing as it keeps my head in the right position while the boats rocking.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

Occasionally I read about a stuff sack that, when turned inside out, has a felt side to make it a pillow. But that means whatever is stuffed inside as filler, is essentially encapsulated by what was the exterior of the bag. I prefer to keep outside surfaces, outside. However, as a dry bag, it should close air tight. So it could turned inside out (to bring the felt surface outside) be closed empty and still have some support from the air trapped inside. That would work.
    I've tried all sorts of inflatable pillows and none seem to work for me. Truth told I can go pillow-less in the hammock. That said, I use the ZPacks reversible DCF pillows sack. As described above, it's a roll top DCF dry bag by day, holding my extra clean clothes (typically just a pair of socks and a base layer T) and reversed at night it has a soft fleece on one side, and uses the same clean clothes as filler. Seems to work fine for me, and does double duty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Nemo user here. I have other cheaper ones but the Nemo is my favorite. I put a string on any pillow I use & tie to the ridge line.

A couple weeks ago, I bought this pillow as I wanted something that packs smaller than the standard car camping/travel pillow available at Wal-Mart (The Mainstays travel pillow in the bedding section is great btw, ~$8 for pillow and case. Just doesn't pack very small) I've been sleeping on it for a little over a week. I wanted to make sure it was comfortable before I took it hammock camping. If it was larger, I would consider replacing my standard pillow with it.

I like a really soft pillow so I inflate it about 1/2 way or a little less. I do hear a little plastic crinkle if I move around but I don't think it's very loud. The soft cover that comes with the pillow is really comfortable and with the pillow 1/2 inflated the cover hasn't come off in the week that I have used it. The pillow packs down to about the size of my clenched fist, but I am thinking that I may lay it flat in my pack rather than rolling it up in it's stuff sack. The only con that I have noticed with it so far is that you have to hold down the exhaust button while deflating it. Makes it a little awkward holding the button and rolling it up at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCKJJ7P/

- Clyde

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LynxT-JRB HG
    Suspension
    strap/buckle
    I have the sea to summit medium with soft fleece side it's ok i keep it with me but I always use my thermo-rest squishy, never got used to the air pillows, also have a jacked up neck though.
    WHAT MAP

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast