Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    That's interesting. I have a 65L. I hope it works!!

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    That's interesting. I have a 65L. I hope it works!!
    Don’t over think it. Get some gear, get outdoors and test test test. More you do the more experience you will acquire. With experience you will figure out the details with setting up quilts. This might ruffle some feathers however some people feel ‘cold’ because they don’t know how to set up their gear properly. Once that’s figured then you can figure out the calories you need before sleep to keep the engine burning maintaining warmth. I know my 20° uq will take me to 20°, I’ve done it and know how to set it. Same with TQs. Not all brands are the same. But as you test it you will figure it out. And most of all, have fun doing it.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Perfect! I have heard from several people that others say uq and tq don't work b/c they don't know how to set it up. I'm glad I've been told that b/c now I know not to give up. It took me a little while to find the sweet spot hang in my hammock but once I did....as Shug says.."Whhhoobuddy!!!" does it feel sooo good! So thank you for your honesty, and others before u. I will not give up. Shoot, for $300 I HAVE TO make it work! Lol. There IS NO other choice! I'm in this baby!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    Wow, I really appreciate all your advice. I learned a lot from your response.
    I have begun training this summer with just hanging my hammock and finding the perfect hang. I think I have that pretty nailed. I wanted to begin my winter sleeping this winter in my back yard, but I just wont have the money for both top and bottom quilt until next year, I'm still saving. This is a VERY expensive hobby, but I love every minute of waking up under the stars each morning in my back yard. There's just nothing like it. I currently sleep in a sleeping bag with blankets and a pad and absolutely hate it. It's just too much of a hassle. That's why I've decided to try quilts. Also, I don't think 3 bags and two blankets will fit in my bag on the AT...lol.
    I found it very helpful when you explained to me that even though someone else is warm in a 20 degree won't mean that I will be and that I will just have to play with it for myself. However it sounds like a 0 degree is a good start. I am really grateful for your advice on the VB. This sounds very interesting. It sounds like I have something to study this winter..lol. It's interesting no one else has mentioned it. I've heard of and have watched Andrew Skurka, but not in these regards. I'm very interested to hear what he has to say.
    Thank you so very much for your reply. I have more to learn, but plenty of time to do it. I just don't understand how people decide in Dec. to hike the AT and go in March. How do you find the money? And how in the world do you learn even HALF of what there is to learn?!
    You are very welcome. Enjoy your learning experience! Here is some stuff from Skurka:
    https://andrewskurka.com/vapor-barri...y-application/

And from HF's own Dejoha:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...r-Liners-(VBL)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You have six years to get this all sorted out.bYou will be at the top of your game by then.
    Slow down and enjoy the whole hammock and comfort quest. Savor every moment of learning.
    Then walk that AT like a Boss.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Lots of excellent advice. In my life experience I have always needed to experiment to find what works for me.

I am female and on the short side. Depending on conditions I get colder than my companions. I live part of the year in northern B.C. -45C is not rare but it is dry. I also live in Northwest Oregon, frequently damp and comparatively mild temps.

My cold weather clothing for Oregon includes a lot of down. My winter clothes at home mostly silk & wool. My Oregon winter clothing is way too hot at home. If you become too warm and perspiration happens you quickly chill and possibly endanger yourself.

I always carry the little heat packets with the little bit of metal you pinch to cause a chemical reaction. One small heat pack on my stomach (not gut--stomach) keeps the chill away. Hats are important as are appropeiate foot gear.

When Hammock Forums started there was not much ready made gear available, people were creative. Way back in the 60's very little functional stealth gear was available. You almost had to get creative to explore.

My experience dictates a 0°F or 20°F UQ year around. I ventalate if I become too warm (has not happened in 15 years).

TQ was my second investiment. I use 20° F, one foot out if too warm, maybe both feet out and only cover my hips on a really warm still night.

Down for drier conditions. Sometimes synthetic for really damp conditions like in the Rain Forest.

I use a UQP always. I do not like netting so I only use my netted hammock when the insects are awful.

So far in life the learning of something is the fun part, I like challenges like how to stay dry with minimal gear... Life is not as much fun when I master a skill I always move onto the next challenge.

In reality people are able to make or aquire perfectly serviceable gear that will preform perfectly if they do a bit of research. Obly in recent history has there been such a great variety of gear available. My son and I through hiked the PCT way back when it was just a series of informal paths. Our gear was really basic, some Army Surplus and a lot of DIY stuff. We had a great hike with lots of adventure. I am so glad we made the trip when we did because so mumucof what we enjoyed is now gone.

It is amazing what a person who wants something is capable of creating to achieve their goal.

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Lots of excellent advice. In my life experience I have always needed to experiment to find what works for me.
    … snip … snip … snip …
    It is amazing what a person who wants something is capable of creating to achieve their goal.
    I’m in awe!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    I’m in awe!
    Me too!

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    One good thing with an UQ is you can use it through a wide range of temperatures. I used mine from about 0 to 65. You will likely need at least two different TQs for a thru hike, especially if you use a 0 degree TQ to start.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    It's great that you are starting to prep so early. I'll say this, you can almost never have too much underquilt. They seldom make you too hot, but can surely not be warm enough and there's not a lot you can do if that happens. In your situation, I would probably prioritize the 0* underquilt for training and save for a nice top quilt down the road. That'll save you the effort of messing with pads or other things you won't be taking on your through hike and you can train with the top insulation you already have for now. I run a 0* UQ and 20* TQ in the winter whether needed or not for actual conditions. Those take up ~2/3 of my ULA Catalyst and about 3/4 if you count the hammock and tarp. You are going to be pretty cramped in a 65L pack if you have to run more than 4-5 days of food. That said, I would probably spring for 950 fill down to cut weight and volume. My UQ is 750 and I think my TQ is 850 and you can tell the difference in compressed size. I would also right size your system for you so that you aren't packing weight and bulk in the unused length of your sleep system. Besides the cold sleeper issue, you also have to factor in moisture accumulation on a long hike like the AT. Your quilts (especially the TQ) can easily lose 10* of rating over a humid week. You can remedy some of that with overstuff and also by hitting up a laundry mat and drying them from time to time, but you have to factor in some moisture loss in your insulation especially on a trail as damp as the AT. You also need to factor in your clothing. Clothes should be selected to work with/augment your sleep system and up the rating. I can take my 20* TQ down to 0 with a light wool base layer and my down anorak (hooded). You're going to want something on your head to retain heat while you sleep. I usually just use a wool buff in shoulder season and by the time I need more than that I'm already in my puffer at night so the the hood fills the gap. When my wife goes with me, we have to up her insulation by 10-15 degrees over what I take so she can stay warm enough. I'm a big guy and she's quite small so usually she offsets the extra insulation volume with clothes that are much more compact than mine, but her ULA Circuit gets awfully full when it gets below 30*. You didn't mention it, but I would save my pack for last if you haven't bought that already. That way you can buy what you need to fit your gear and expected worst case load out. Think of it this way, better to train heavy and hit the trail light than the other way around. One of our friends luxuries out on her training hikes so she knows what's a requirement and which luxuries are worth their weigh, but never takes all of that on the real hike. She says the lessons of painful practice runs lead to peaceful hikes. I tend to agree with her logic and when you are crushing miles you've got less down time to wish you had all the luxury stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast