Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles

Smile Darien vs Blackbird

I am in the market for a new hammock. Right now I have a hennessey, but I need something lighter. The Darien and the Blackbird have caught my eye. Has anyone tried BOTH of these? I've heard great reviews on each one individually, so now I have to decide between the two. The only real difference I'm seeing and what is drawing me in to the Darien is that I can build it to my liking down to the color of the zipper! But are the comfort levels the same? And is there a real difference between 10 ft and 11 ft that I would even notice? I'm a 5'5 female at 125 lbs.

Images
    The Blackbird XLC is 11' long, but the Original Blackbird is 10' like the Darien.

The Darien is much more customizable in terms of fabrics, colors, and add-ons. At is core though, it's a lighter hammock than the Blackbird because it's simpler. The Darien has a non-removable bugnet with a zipper on only one side. It's an asym hammock and only works in the particular asym direction you choose when ordering. The Blackbird is also an asym (when the bugnet is attached - without the bugnet the hammock itself is symmetrical), but the direction of asym can be changed by removing the net, flipping it over, and reattaching it. The Blackbird does have a fully removable net and has zippers on both sides. The net can also be swapped out for a winter top cover or it can be used without either. The Blackbird's tie outs will keep the bugnet a little farther away from your face and there is a storage shelf on the side opposite your head. Storage in the Darien would come down to adding storage pockets, peak shelf, ridgeline organizer, or another accessory like the Gear Sling or a gear hammock. Or just use your pack for storage.

Base price on a single layer Darien is about $50 lower than the price of a single layer Blackbird and $80 lower than a single layer Blackbird XLC.

A Blackbird in your color choice might be in stock and ready to ship, but a custom Darien is going to have a lead time of a month or more. There are stock, ready to ship Dariens though - just without a whole lot of options.

You can trick it out with options and add-ons, but at its core the Darien is a nice, simple, lightweight hammock. The Blackbirds are a little fancier and more modular.

I hope that helps inform your decision a bit! Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBBXLC/Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunder/Mtn fly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/EEEnigma
    Suspension
    DClips/BeatleBuckl
    I love my Blackbird XLC and I am biased but I don't believe you will go wrong with either choice. Both companies have great reputations. If you do go with Warbonnet, I would suggest the Dream-Tex fabric.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ahursey530 View Post
    If you do go with Warbonnet, I would suggest the Dream-Tex fabric.
    +1 on that.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I don't own a Blackbird, but I love my Darien. The craftsmanship is impeccable. If you don't mind the wait for a custom order, it is totally worth it! I find the Darien very easy to find the sweet spot and be comfortable.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm 5'9" and perfectly happy in my 10'/64" Dariens... one with 1.7 Robic and another 1.2 Robic. If I could have but one it'd be the Robic 1.7 (now called MTN XL)... I think...

I'd email the Smurfs and ask for their suggestion. Their recommendation was spot-on for me. Sounds like you've hammocked enough to be satisfied with your lay direction preference.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Blackbird has the shelf which stores a lot of gear. That is a plus.
    I have a Dream Hammock Raven too but never tried a Darien.
    Both are comfortable and well made. It will just be down to features and particulars for you at this point.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    I am definitely a simple person, so I think I'm leaning toward the Darien. Simple, save money and customized.
    Thank you for your help!

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    I live here in Ohio and it's turning colder and I'm not winter ready. Still new and buying gear. This spring I will have enough saved up for an underquilt, but until then hammocking is shut down due to lows hitting upper 30's and all I have is a crummy walmart sleeping bag , so I can wait a little while.
    Thank you for helping me decide.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Great idea... I will email them. Thank you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast