Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help with sleep system for 0°C nights

I'm prepping for a Fall hike in Ontario, Canada in a couple weeks. Temps should go down to around 0°C. I'm a cold sleeper and am looking to fashion a quality system to stay warm and toasty in my Hennessy Backpacker overnight.

It's my first cold weather trip so I need to get some gear. I'm thinking of getting a good down sleeping bag, rated to -7 °C (comfort rating). To counter the compression of the down, I'd add the cheap amazon OneTigris $90 underquilt rated to +5°C. Between the two, I imagine that's enough? Assuming proper clothing layers and touque.

I suppose my question is how viable an underquilt is once the temp drops below what it's rated for.

Thanks for any input or other ideas.

*Underpads don't work for me, I always create too much condensation.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by mrorange View Post
    I'm prepping for a Fall hike in Ontario, Canada in a couple weeks. Temps should go down to around 0°C. I'm a cold sleeper and am looking to fashion a quality system to stay warm and toasty in my Hennessy Backpacker overnight.

It's my first cold weather trip so I need to get some gear. I'm thinking of getting a good down sleeping bag, rated to -7 °C (comfort rating). To counter the compression of the down, I'd add the cheap amazon OneTigris $90 underquilt rated to +5°C. Between the two, I imagine that's enough? Assuming proper clothing layers and touque.
    I would be very wary of that assumption for two reasons. First, once you compress the bag, its insulation is practically nil. At that point, you'll be relying on a +5 quilt to get you down to zero. The second reason I'd be wary is that many mass-produced vendors rate their equipment to "survival" levels instead of comfort levels. I can't say that for sure with the quilt you propose buying but I would surely not be surprised if that were a survival rating-check reviews. You should be ok on top using that bag.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    You seem to have a plan - with several variables in play. Next step: execute the plan before you head out on your fall hike by practicing at home or near home. Field testing will give you the best answers as opposed to advice from the internet. However, you might get lucky and a cold sleeper who owns a Hennessy Backpacker and uses a sleeping bag and also adds on a OneTigris UQ may chime in with just the info you need. That's the beauty of crowd-sourcing for an answer. It just might work. Best of luck and have fun on your hike.
    The game is the best teacher.

Images
    I agree, your bottom will get cold. Above freezing you can get by with sub-par gear because the worst possible outcome is slight discomfort. Below freezing, you need to take it more seriously. Many of these low-tier items are sold to people who don't know any better and will not likely test the limits. I know my cheap "20F" sleeping bag is shivering cold at 40F.

Images
    Well, most likely, no one knows what temp that $90 UQ made by who knows who is good for. The one I see for $89.98( a double, and very heavy at 59 oz) is comfort rated for minus 5C/23F, but who knows how accurate the rating is. But for just a few $ more you can get a light weight 20 oz AHE Jarbidge rated for 25F, and some folks have reported using them lower than that and being warm. Or, especially since you are in Canada(shipping), the original HH Super Shelter for your HH, several of us have used them at 0C and below, but best of all they are easily boosted just by adding an unworn jacket under neath.

However, there is a video of a fellow putting it to the test on the HH on the ID/MT border at 5700 ft, temp dropped to 42F + a lot of wind chill, and despite a poor installation job, he claimed he was more than warm enough(this was with the double, he had also tried the single with less success). So who knows, it might be good to the rated temp? At that weight, it should be plenty warm. But who knows.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/WM bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I went out last weekend under geared with an REI 30 F underquilt (I was trying to outfit two kids for cheap over the summer and it was on sale) and had an uncomfortable night when it dropped to high 30s. I sleep cold and that quilt is a 50 F comfort rating at best, so I too would be wary of similar mass produced gear. If my budget was $90 I’d be looking at DIY Costco quilts.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Only you can verify what will keep you warm at these temps so try to backyard test prior to going is the best advice I can offer.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    OneTigris is an iffy Amazon buy. When it comes to insulation, I'm not going near a quilt with so few positive reviews. I'd be seriously surprised if that kept you warm at -5 C. I'd take Billybob58's advice and for a few extra bucks, get a Jarbidge. The Jarbidge is well reviewed and trusted by HF members.

When I first started hammock camping, I had no intention of paying $120 or $130 for a tarp, so I tried to find that amazing Amazon buy of a $20 or $30 tarp. I now have a closet full of relatively useless $20 and $30 Amazon tarps. When it came time to buy insulation, I stopped dealing with Amazon and bought real quilts from our cottage vendors.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I was camping at Algonquin this past weekend in 0°C weather. I used standard three season quilts (Snugpak top, Arrowhead bottom) which I supplement with Costco down throws. I lay one throw on top of my Ridge Creek underquilt to add more warmth. While it’s true compressed insulation doesn’t work well, tossing an insulated blanket on top of your bottom quilt doesn’t automatically cause it to become useless.
    As others have said best to try at home first..

Thanks for the insight all. Looking at Arrowhead underquilts and they seem to be a great option. There's also a similar operation in Canada called Little Shop of Hammocks which I may inquire with as well. The Hennessy SS looks like an okay solution too but not my first choice.

All that said, anything custom I order online won't arrive in time. So rather than rushing a risky amazon purchase, I'm just going to play it safe and bring my tent, and be toasty warm with a quality sleeping bag and underpad. Disappointing, but I'll be more prepared next time.

Appreciate the quick feedback!

PS . I've looked hard for those famous costco down throws but they seem to be unavailable right now -- can't find em online or in-store. Let me know if you've had better luck somewhere!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast