Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrorange View Post
    Thanks for the insight all. Looking at Arrowhead underquilts and they seem to be a great option. There's also a similar operation in Canada called Little Shop of Hammocks which I may inquire with as well. The Hennessy SS looks like an okay solution too but not my first choice.

All that said, anything custom I order online won't arrive in time. So rather than rushing a risky amazon purchase, I'm just going to play it safe and bring my tent, and be toasty warm with a quality sleeping bag and underpad. Disappointing, but I'll be more prepared next time.

Appreciate the quick feedback!

PS . I've looked hard for those famous costco down throws but they seem to be unavailable right now -- can't find em online or in-store. Let me know if you've had better luck somewhere!
    Hey Mr. Orange, as a tent camper, you don't happen to have a long, wide(bigger is better, especially with a long, wide hammock) sleeping bag with a full length zipper, do you? And can you get the hammock's net out of the way? If so, you might want to experiment with wrapping the bag entirely around the hammock, the original concept that led to the design of the Speer Pea Pod. You might have to do a simple mod or 2 to get it to work, like sewing on some loops and attaching some shock cord as a suspension. Or adding some simple nylon cord to tie it to your hammock suspension. Or, you might not have to do anything. Look up Shug's many videos on converting his bags to a pod. If you can get it to fully wrap around your hammock and have enough room, and there are any gaps(usually a top gap because the hammocks edges lift the top layer pf the bag/pod, you can easily fill in with any puffy clothing that a guy who lives in Canada probably ha plenty of. Or if you have any kind of light, thin summer or liner bag, you can place that inside the wrap around bag.

You would not believe the insulation that can be generated with this technique. IMHO, it actually beats all other systems in efficiency simply because it is about the only guaranteed draft proof top and bottom approach. If even needed- if there are any gaps after zipping up, just tighten up any suspension added so that it just barely touches your back. Or. leave the gap and fill it with a puffy jacket. But once you zip that bag closed around the hammock, you won't have to worry about any gaps or drafts. Again, just check out Shug's videos on this subject. I think it is his go to approach now for really severe way below zero temps. But, he layers quilts within his pod. At warmer temps( I have seen him do minus 40F), you won't need many, if any, added insulation.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    If money is the main concern there is a Hammock Gear 30F underquilt that would suit you on the for sale board here. ( not mine ). It’s listed at a bit more but would get you to 0C no problem.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Images
    Here 'Ya go, here is one of several videos on home made no sew( or very little sew) bag to pod conversions. Pod explanations begin about 5 minutes in. It could get you by until you can get exactly want you want delivered. And in the mean time, it's free and you can keep hanging!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_R5yH0rNMw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg7Q5Wqfgkk
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-18-2019 at 14:51.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >If money is the main concern there is a Hammock Gear 30F underquilt that would suit you on the for sale board here. ( not mine ). It’s listed at a bit more but would get you to 0C no problem.

Everyone has their own reaction to the cold but I sleep pretty warm and I wouldn't put a 30 degree UQ against 0 degree weather. At a minimum, I'd go for 20 degrees and that's with a lot of help with an underquilt protector, or a full sock, and/or close guyed tarp with doors. If I were nighting in 0 degrees, I'd use my 0 degree UQ/TQ combo, WITH an UQP and tarp with doors or a full sock. AND wear a balaclava.

0 degrees is nothing to play with. I wouldn't camp with only a 30 degree UQ - with an anticipated 0 degree night (remember estimated temps usually don't include wilderness chill factors) - and expect it to go well.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    OP is talking about 0C, not 0F temps.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    OP is talking about 0C, not 0F temps.
    lol yeah, I think there is some confusion here. 0°C is pretty mild in the scheme of things.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mrorange View Post
    Thanks for the insight all. Looking at Arrowhead underquilts and they seem to be a great option. There's also a similar operation in Canada called Little Shop of Hammocks which I may inquire with as well. The Hennessy SS looks like an okay solution too but not my first choice.

All that said, anything custom I order online won't arrive in time. So rather than rushing a risky amazon purchase, I'm just going to play it safe and bring my tent, and be toasty warm with a quality sleeping bag and underpad. Disappointing, but I'll be more prepared next time.

Appreciate the quick feedback!

PS . I've looked hard for those famous costco down throws but they seem to be unavailable right now -- can't find em online or in-store. Let me know if you've had better luck somewhere!
    Good choice, in fact Arrowhead has a 10% winter insulation sale right now. I have two of the Ridge Creek underquilts for my Bridge.
    https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...Camping-Quilts

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Zero degrees Celsius is same as 32 degrees Fahrenheit
    Mostly cottage vendors based in US will be using Fahrenheit to show temperature rating for their underquilts and topquilts.
    Skeeerdy cats like me, try to use a ten degree buffer, to reduce chance of getting cold.
    I have a 20* set quilts and a zero degree set of quilts. If forecast is below 30, I might use zero degree set quilts. And if forecast is below 15* Fahrenheit, I might stack quilts using both sets at same time.
    Your mileage may vary

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Oops - where is that embarrassed smily

But still, I also wouldn't want a 30 degree quilt for 30 (okay, 32) degree weather. For a wide range of temperatures, I'd go with a 20 degree UQ and UQP. I've found that weather forecasts are not exact - often they are determined for city dweller locations. For example, I live in High Desert, 23 miles away from a ski resort. When the news says it's going to be 30 degrees, that's 30 degrees IN TOWN. It will be a bit colder on the mountain. So it's nice to have a little cushion in your gears comfort range.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I use “3-season” rated UQ and TQ and have happily gone down to -3C.
    I find it critical that you ensure that the down in the UQ is moved back to underneath your backside or it will get cold at the lower end of temperatures.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast