Insulation
    Mt. Wash+Polarpod
    Suspension
    Python+ 'biner
    Hello, OldnSlow;

Thanks for the report.
    When were you speaking with Ed?
    Is Ed selling Tree To Tree?

Dale Bostwick, " Darby" here, has been out of action for a couple YEARS.
    I got some of Dale's last work.

So, is Ed arranging for someone else to resume production?

Speer hammocks and downgear are superb. Thanks.

All the best.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter Rockwell View Post
    Hello, OldnSlow;

Thanks for the report.
    When were you speaking with Ed?
    Is Ed selling Tree To Tree?

Dale Bostwick, " Darby" here, has been out of action for a couple YEARS.
    I got some of Dale's last work.

So, is Ed arranging for someone else to resume production?

Speer hammocks and downgear are superb. Thanks.

All the best.
    I don't think anyone is selling Speer designs. I must have tried for a year or two to get in touch with Dale, hoping to order either a Pea or Polar Pod, but could never get any response to e-mail or phone voice mail messages. I think he had health issues and left the business, or maybe some other reason. When Dale decided to leave the business, we also lost access to Speer products(or designs), as wellas those great Switchbacks.

I wish some one would take on the task of making Speer style pods again, but maybe there is not enough market demand. I have about 4 or 5 reasons why I always thought the Pea Pod was the most efficient way to stay warm in a GE hammock, as well as- at least in some circumstance- the most weight efficient. Though I don't think I convinced many of that(except maybe Shug, who designed his own pods for the most severe conditions!) The 20F pods were listed as 36 oz(though my older Speer was 42 oz). Hard to beat that with 2 full length, long 20F quilts. True, there there some issues with the way some hammocks raised the TQ part, causing a gap and making it not as warm on top as 2.5+" of loft should have been. OTOH, that draft free design helped greatly to make up for that, and once that gap(very little to none anyway on a narrow Claytor) was filled with either puffy clothing I always had on a cold trip, or with the lightest of quilts, it was even warmer than 20F. Anyway, I wish some one would manufacture one. I have a friend that has one and I need to remember and check with him and see if he wants to sell it.

Hammock
    TTT Switchback
    Tarp
    TTT Catcut+ 2Q mod
    Insulation
    Mt. Wash+Polarpod
    Suspension
    Python+ 'biner
    Tx, BILLYBOB:

Dale was very candid with me about his health issue and he was quite conscientious about making sure my orders were completed, to the point that I was worried he was doing too much. A year later he called to reverify that ALL my orders had been filled. All I wanted was to know he was progressing and he said yes snd that he was off for a Linville weekend. Nothing more recently.

If anyone knows how to contact him, please signal here. I cannot connect the dots on a watering hole he might have frequented. Thanks.

My surprise, conveyed above, is why I was hopeful that Ed Speer might be doing something now.

Hopefully we will learn more here.

Respectfully,
    Porter

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have his number, I will text him and inform him of this thread.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    TTT Switchback
    Tarp
    TTT Catcut+ 2Q mod
    Insulation
    Mt. Wash+Polarpod
    Suspension
    Python+ 'biner
    Thanks, so much, DUTCH:

Porter.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I don't think anyone is selling Speer designs. I must have tried for a year or two to get in touch with Dale, hoping to order either a Pea or Polar Pod, but could never get any response to e-mail or phone voice mail messages. I think he had health issues and left the business, or maybe some other reason. When Dale decided to leave the business, we also lost access to Speer products(or designs), as wellas those great Switchbacks.

I wish some one would take on the task of making Speer style pods again, but maybe there is not enough market demand. I have about 4 or 5 reasons why I always thought the Pea Pod was the most efficient way to stay warm in a GE hammock, as well as- at least in some circumstance- the most weight efficient. Though I don't think I convinced many of that(except maybe Shug, who designed his own pods for the most severe conditions!) The 20F pods were listed as 36 oz(though my older Speer was 42 oz). Hard to beat that with 2 full length, long 20F quilts. True, there there some issues with the way some hammocks raised the TQ part, causing a gap and making it not as warm on top as 2.5+" of loft should have been. OTOH, that draft free design helped greatly to make up for that, and once that gap(very little to none anyway on a narrow Claytor) was filled with either puffy clothing I always had on a cold trip, or with the lightest of quilts, it was even warmer than 20F. Anyway, I wish some one would manufacture one. I have a friend that has one and I need to remember and check with him and see if he wants to sell it.
    I agree, someone needs to be making pods!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter Rockwell View Post
    Tx, BILLYBOB:

Dale was very candid with me about his health issue and he was quite conscientious about making sure my orders were completed, to the point that I was worried he was doing too much. A year later he called to reverify that ALL my orders had been filled. All I wanted was to know he was progressing and he said yes snd that he was off for a Linville weekend. Nothing more recently.

If anyone knows how to contact him, please signal here. I cannot connect the dots on a watering hole he might have frequented. Thanks.

My surprise, conveyed above, is why I was hopeful that Ed Speer might be doing something now.

Hopefully we will learn more here.

Respectfully,
    Porter
    When was that? I never was willing to take a chance on ordering when the web site was still up, which was for quite a while, during which I was unable to contact any one there, via either phone(I would leave messages) and e-mail. I heard rumors that small orders were still being filled, but I couldn't take that chance on a +$400 order. So I never did.

But, too bad, like Speer before him, he was well known for excellent products and customer service, at least until he couldn't be contacted. I hope he is doing well, I hope he is healthy.

As for Ed Speer, I have never heard a word about him since he handed everything over to Dale. It appears that folks just burn out on the cottage hammock businesses. Of course, sometimes it's not that, there are just health or personal reasons that take folks out of the business.

I do wish Ed would comeback into the business, but I doubt that will happen. But he and his products and designs(along with Youngblood working with him, also apparently gone from here) were unique in many ways. Just think: his book, the home made hammocks or store bought ones, his online bulletin board, his wild experiences with hammocks in the wilderness, the Pea Pod, the Snugfit, the Segmented Pad Extender, his group hangs in NC. Even his online moniker: NotToWorry. He was quite the hammock camping pioneer.

Hammock
    TTT Switchback
    Tarp
    TTT Catcut+ 2Q mod
    Insulation
    Mt. Wash+Polarpod
    Suspension
    Python+ 'biner
    Hello:

Sorry, I sent a detailed post earlier this AM and it hasn't appeared.

I may have missread OldnSlow about the sale of the business.
    Maybe he was referring to Ed selling to Dale.

Anyway, my Polarpod with 16oz extra was delivered 14 AUG 15.
    Hammocks and tarps between then and late 17.

Around 2018 he called me to report he was doing ok.

All my gear from Dale with TTTTG invoices had SPEER tags. I thought Dale was making Ed's items.

So not sure about a sale. Hopefully Ed's superb items will be available.

In ALL of my dealings with Dale, he was polite, concerned and followed-up, even when deathly ill!
    Ok, there were delays, but given his determination to be responsible when under adversity and that he dragged himself to finish a custom order and would NOT accept payment due to delays, I give him A+ marks.

Respect, hugs and smiles for Dale. Hope he surfaces.

Respectfully

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I met up with Dale back in September. He was doing well and just as enjoyable to share a pint with as always. In his own words, "Since I stopped selling hammocks I actually have time to use them!" After going through a rough spell its great to see him enjoying himself! Hopefully he will stop by for a visit at Trail Days!
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12