Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Pharaoh Lake is a great spot for swimming, but the fish are just as carnivorous as the bugs! I received a bloody nipple and my wife a bloody belly button from large red breasted sunfish at site #6. They were attacking in groups. I have never experienced anything like it!
    Beautiful trip report by the way!

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I went swimming in both Shroon lake and Lake George with no problems of "carniverous" fish lol! That was in July of last year. Maybe DEC is stocking piranha in Pharaoh lake (haha). Anywhoo..that is a super lovely part of the "Dacks" that I have yet to explore. Looks pretty awesome. When I go there I mostly spend most of my time at Lake George and Shroon Lake, but after this trip report my curiosity is piqued. Nice pics btw. An interesting bit o' lore about this part of the Adirondacks, the town of Ticonderoga is where the pilot to Star Trek was filmed (it is close to Montreal, the hometown of Cpt Kirk, aka William Shatner). They still have the original set of the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise in town.

One of my best backpacking experiences ever was at Pharaoh Lake. It was slightly crowded but we had a great campsite with an awesome view of the lake and most of the campers were on the other side. The rain hit in the morning and it was a monsoon all day. Luckily I took along a small tarp and we spent the entire day watching the rain pour on the lake and around us, but we kept perfectly dry. We laid there reading, napping, chatting and sipping beer and coffee the entire day.

The next day the sun broke out and we climbed to enjoy the view from the summit.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have cleaned up the GPS tracks from Ambit to get rid of (significant!) stray waypoints and make the gpx files manageable... fewer than 500 waypoints per track. So if anyone wants to replicate this hike, HERE is a user-friendly and accurate map.

I also hate to over-exaggertate distances hiked so here are the new totals for days 1-4... 6.78, 7.37, 8.02 (originally 10.57 ?) and 5.81, for a total of 28 miles.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianSnat View Post
    One of my best backpacking experiences ever was at Pharaoh Lake. It was slightly crowded but we had a great campsite with an awesome view of the lake and most of the campers were on the other side. The rain hit in the morning and it was a monsoon all day. Luckily I took along a small tarp and we spent the entire day watching the rain pour on the lake and around us, but we kept perfectly dry. We laid there reading, napping, chatting and sipping beer and coffee the entire day.

The next day the sun broke out and we climbed to enjoy the view from the summit.
    It's always fun hanging out under a tarp and staying dry while the storm rages. When we did the LHHT earlier this year, it was a cool experience to make a cup of coffee under my small hex tarp while an intense morning thunderstorm delivered buckets of rain and strong gusts buffeted the tarp.

If you get the chance to go again, camping at the top is highly recommended. Various logistics and regs make it a rare experience, but if you can manage it there is nothing better than to catch a sunset and sunrise from a peak.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Nice! Thanks for uploading the pics. Now I see them and they are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.
    Fall can be some of the best camping. Just got back from Kinzua Dam area in ANF and the leaves were beautiful. Awesome Fall weekend.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Great photos & trip report... thanks for posting.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Nice! Thanks for uploading the pics. Now I see them and they are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.
    Fall can be some of the best camping. Just got back from Kinzua Dam area in ANF and the leaves were beautiful. Awesome Fall weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    Great photos & trip report... thanks for posting.
    Thanks much, and glad you enjoyed it! Fall is without doubt my favorite season as well... it all comes together, cooler temps, fewer bugs and color.

I've done a fair amount of hiking in PA but not a bunch in ANF, so I'll add that to my list.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12