Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    First Love M-1965
    Tarp
    Poncho hootch

Amok Draumr solid material screen replacement for winter

I was wondering if Amok or a third party vendor is going to create an opaque material replacement for the screen for cold weather use? I am thinking of a piece that is the same size and shape as the screen, set up and zippered in the same way but rather than screening it would be made out of the same material as the hammock itself. Not as a replacement for a good tarp but rather to cut (eliminate) cold winds and blown snow from swirling their way under the edges and into the hammock.

Just a thought.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon + Amok draumr XL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 20F
    Suspension
    UCR + SPIDER/POLY
    This is a good idea, but there is must be some small window for moisture to escape.
    Something like moonlight cover from Dutch where you can adjust size of venting window.

You can contact guys from Amok and ask them about cover. Or ask them via Youtube channel , recently they are made an Q&A video and planning to do it another time.
    Last edited by shichimi; 10-17-2019 at 08:05.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Didrik and the guys are from Norway. I am pretty sure they just camp like normal whether there is snow or not. But, if you can get the same zipper from someplace, I am sure it wouldn't be difficult to pattern a winter cover from the bug net for anyone who can sew (i.e. most of the people here except me). Just make sure to vent it, as already mentioned. Good luck.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    does the new bugnet completely unzip? I thought it was still attached at one point like the original Draumr...

I'd originally rigged up a sock style, with part of a Costco quilt, that you slipped over the footbox like a literal sock, then up and over the bug net portion

never was really satisfied with it, nor did I feel like it ended up making much difference

it would be interesting to integrate it into existing zipper if that was an option tho (altho I still really like the idea of having essentially like a big top quilt fit sock style over the footbox)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    does the new bugnet completely unzip? I thought it was still attached at one point like the original Draumr...
    I thought the same but checked last night after reading the first post in this thread. The newest Draumr including the XL does have a bugnet that zips all the way off. I thought it only unzipped 95% of the way and stored in the pocket, but that's not the case.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-17-2019 at 13:10.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post

I'd originally rigged up a sock style, with part of a Costco quilt, that you slipped over the footbox like a literal sock, then up and over the bug net portion

never was really satisfied with it, nor did I feel like it ended up making much difference

it would be interesting to integrate it into existing zipper if that was an option tho (altho I still really like the idea of having essentially like a big top quilt fit sock style over the footbox)
    I comes all the way off to you can leave it behind if not needed.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    I think that this is a great idea, but... The bigger problem to "go low" will be the insulation provided by the pad for winter camping. Its only rated to 25 degrees. You will have to supplement that to be comfortable in really cold weather.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    I think that this is a great idea, but... The bigger problem to "go low" will be the insulation provided by the pad for winter camping. Its only rated to 25 degrees. You will have to supplement that to be comfortable in really cold weather.
    For the XL, yes. I think the regular Draumr will accommodate pads that can go lower.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    True. I have used my Exped Downmat XP 9 in mine as it is rated to negative 30ºF.
    Remember that all pads have R-Values to get to lower temps.
    Shug

R Value Pad Chart copy.jpg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    First Love M-1965
    Tarp
    Poncho hootch
    Yeah it would definitely need a vent and I was also thinking of a clear plastic window or two to let in light and maybe even some clips on the inside that will allow it to attach to the trapeze so when you fold it back it creates an awning of sorts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast