JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    This is a really clever way to do the secondary suspension. It adds almost nothing that wasn't already on the manufacturer's materials list, and for the user it means a little less weight and fewer lines to potentially detangle when taking out the quilt to set it up.
    We are not fans of secondary suspensions in general so we wanted to find the simplest and lightest solution. We use end suspensions instead of side channel suspensions on all of our full length underquilts. With the end suspension there is no chance of the quilt accordioning in and it saves some weight with no need for a secondary suspension.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    We are not fans of secondary suspensions in general so we wanted to find the simplest and lightest solution. We use end suspensions instead of side channel suspensions on all of our full length underquilts. With the end suspension there is no chance of the quilt accordioning in and it saves some weight with no need for a secondary suspension.
    I have always said that was the advantage of the original JRB suspensions compared to the perimeter style that came out later. Perimeter style(side channel) is fantastic for the initial adjustment, getting the UQ's top edge where you want it relative to your shoulders/neck. Or for changing the quilt's position quickly if you change position in the hammock, if you scoot up or down. Or for venting. But they always had a tendency to shorten, or accordion, towards the low point center, once the hammock was occupied. Maybe causing a gap, very likely at least leading to less than optimum performance. Hence it wasn't long until someone realized that was happening and developed a secondary suspension which cured the problem. Wonder who discovered that and first wrote about it? I think I had figured out it was a potential problem- and happening with side channel suspension torso UQ- before I ever read about the problem and solution, but I can't remember.

But one thing I always knew: I had(and still have) a convertible (from full length to shorty) JRB MW3. It had the same old suspension that had already existed on the JRBs, the end suspension. Thus, it has never had any need for a secondary suspension. Side channel suspensions have great pluses, but they do have that one issue of sag towards the low point. Easily fixed with a DIY secondary, or now many models come with a secondary built in. Or, this JRB version, which I really like. I like it better than my DIY versions.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyHanger View Post
    Thanks Mr. Emery. I've added the secondary to my Greylock 3. I'm thinking about the Greylock 4 and just wondered how the new arrangment looked (wondering if I don't like it can I convert back to the original style with a few mods).
    I think you will love it. But if not, I think you could convert back easily enough by just removing the main suspension from the cord lock, then adding your Prussiks back as per usual. Although, if you wanted the cord locks gone, you might have to cut the little ribbon that goes through them. However, I think you would need to keep the cord locks to adjust the end channels, to snug the ends up if needed. In fact(I just looked), my MW3 already has the cord locks on the end channel cords, I am assuming yours does also, so no need to remove them to get back to the way you were. Just pull the main suspension out of the cord locks. But I bet, once you try it, you won't do that.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-17-2019 at 11:44.

Images
    The Greylock 4 has been on my radar for some time now and I think this thread made up my mind. Order placed.

This fills a gap in my UQ roster between my 20 and my minus 20.

Images
    Email notification of order received: 1:15pm
    Email notification of order shipped: 1:17pm

Even if that only means the shipping label has been printed, that's still impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I think you will love it. But if not, I think you could convert back easily enough by just removing the main suspension from the cord lock, then adding your Prussiks back as per usual. Although, if you wanted the cord locks gone, you might have to cut the little ribbon that goes through them. However, I think you would need to keep the cord locks to adjust the end channels, to snug the ends up if needed. In fact(I just looked), my MW3 already has the cord locks on the end channel cords, I am assuming yours does also, so no need to remove them to get back to the way you were. Just pull the main suspension out of the cord locks. But I bet, once you try it, you won't do that.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    Here is a close up of how the cord locks are attached. The small grosgrain ribbon at the top of the photo loops through an attachment slit in the cord lock, the round shock-cord in the center is the side channel suspension, and the cord on the bottom is the drawstring used to snug up the end of the underquilt.

Attachment 177634

A few years back we were experimenting with length wise baffles and on the prototype Jack sewed he had this mod. I did not care for the baffle design but I loved this mod. My personal Greylock had the prusik loops on it for years but with this change it becomes a product that does not have to be modded for use.
    Thank you

Images
    The Greylock 4 has been on my radar for some time now and I think this thread made up my mind. Order placed.

This fills a gap in my UQ roster between my 20 and my minus 20.
    Hey, another GL4 brother! LOL! Hope you like yours as much as I do. Though, I have mostly used the short half of my MW3 convertible, have not really put the GL4 to the test yet. I had an MW4 (full length of course), which I sold in a weak moment(thinking I had too many UQs, also stupidly sold a Speer Pea Pod). And, admittedly, most of my use of these UQs has been on JRB bridge hammocks. But always a very warm experience, and virtually adjustment free.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey, another GL4 brother! LOL! Hope you like yours as much as I do. Though, I have mostly used the short half of my MW3 convertible, have not really put the GL4 to the test yet. I had an MW4 (full length of course), which I sold in a weak moment(thinking I had too many UQs, also stupidly sold a Speer Pea Pod). And, admittedly, most of my use of these UQs has been on JRB bridge hammocks. But always a very warm experience, and virtually adjustment free.
    From what I've seen on YouTube, the GL4 looks so puffy and lofty - I think it might rival the loft of my full length minus 20. JRB states it's a "conservative" 0* and I don't doubt it.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Email notification of order received: 1:15pm
    Email notification of order shipped: 1:17pm

Even if that only means the shipping label has been printed, that's still impressive.
    It was packed and printed at 1:17. The mailman just picked it up. The label said 2 Days so you may have it Saturday (USPS can be odd on what counts as day 1)

Enjoy!
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast