Underquilt with WB XLC

I've been hammock camping for about 8 years and currently have a Warbonnet XLC. For most of this time I've used a sleeping bag with a Thermarest Base Camp pad and that took me down to the 30's fairly comfortable. As anyone who has used a pad knows, it can shift around during the night and I hate waking up at 3 am to adjust my pad (yes that even happens with my double layer XLC).

I recently purchased a UGQ top quilt and after using that this past weekend in the Adirondacks, I decided it was time to match it with a warm UQ. I figure a 20 degree UQ would be perfect for the camping I do.

I looked at some of the budget UQs such as the Dutch Cedar Ridge UP, the Hammock Gear Economy Incubator and several others.

I was wondering if the savings were worth it vs. buying a UQ from Warbonnet designed for my XLC.

So for those of you who chose a non Warbonnet UQ for your WB XLC, did it work out fine or do you regret it? Are there other worthwhile non Warbonnet options to consider?

Or am I better off shelling out the extra bucks for a WB UQ designed for my XLC? If this, do you recommend the Yeti or Wookie? Weight is not a major consideration, as most of my camping these days is via canoe and any backpacking trips would be just a few miles.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Hammock
    WBBB,XLC
    Tarp
    HG cuben hex
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    whoopies
    The hammock gear uq works perfectly with my xlc, no complaints at all.I also have a wb yeti that I use in warmer temps .

I have used a Jarbidge and Greylock 3 for several years on my XLC and have been pleased. I'm sure Warbonnet makes a fine underquilt, but I recently purchased a full length UGQ for Winter. I decided to go that route so I could easily use on other hammocks. I have a Lite Owl and Dutchware that I like to use in Winter.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Check out my post under the warbonnet threads....its called UQ help!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Any will work set up properly. Maybe these videos will give some insight
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20* & 40*
    Suspension
    Straps with buckle
    I have a 20° Econ Incubator and a 40° Econ Phoenix and both work great on my XLC. I stacked the two of them to get down to 6° overnight last winter, and I feel like I could have easily gone to 0° and below with that setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have a full length Burrow quilt that i use on my XLC and Chameleon. No problems on either.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i have a DIY UQ that I have used on my WBBB but there is something nice about the no fiddle factor of my Wooki. It attaches really easily and always keeps me toasty warm

Hammock
    BBXLC / sparrow
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    wooki/burrow/
    Suspension
    straps
    well, looky. hi, brian! we're having parallel lives or something.

i'm also interested in what you all think about a non-WB UQ for a BBXLC because sometimes i think i want more warmth than my 0° wooki (even with a sock) gives me. weight isn't a particular consideration because if it's that cold out, i'm pulling a pulk.

i have stayed happily in my hammock with the wooki / burrow / sock at four degrees, but some nights i sort of wish i had fewer cold spots, or more insulation at the shoulder. do y'all have ideas about layering?

I recently added a 20F Hammock Gear Economy Incubator to my fleet. I took it on a trip and I had never put it on the hammock. Did basic setup (I never messed with the primary suspension as it lifted my XLC hammock when I attached it): slightly snugged the end channels and slightly snugged the secondary. Crawled in with medium baselayer and loose wool socks. Slept very warm at about 28 to 30F. Never touched the suspension after the initial adjustment.

• + New Posts