DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I would never rely on any kind of "fuse". If the storm is that bad, expect something else to fail first.

Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I'm using this. It's what I have but I need to order about 3 more.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
    I'm using the same thing on all of my tarps, but they're alot cheaper here: https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...ucts/lineloc-3

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Thanks. I only have 3 and need to order more.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I would never rely on any kind of "fuse". If the storm is that bad, expect something else to fail first.
    Another debatable technique for sure. If you use a fuse that breaks prematurely during a storm gust, you just got your shelter wet, unnecessarily.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >If you use a fuse that breaks prematurely during a storm gust, you just got your shelter wet, unnecessarily.

That's only if your "fuse" is the last link. If you use bungee WITH your guy line, such that the bungee attaches parallel with the guy line for a bit, then a broken bungee won't let that guy point fly free.

However, if the wind is strong enough to "trip my fuse", I may have to don the rain/storm gear and consider a reorientation or location of my set up. This happened - not in mid storm - a month or so ago at Pirate's Cove in the B.C. Gulf Islands. I saw the wind coming in from the west and put my tarps (GE and Bridge) broadside to the weather. But the winds just pushed the tarps into the hammocks. We were dry, but I figured a smaller profile to the wind would be best. That morning (next day), I reoriented so the tarps were parallel with the wind. The doors and the support trees blocked most the wind and the air flow was such that instead of pushing the tarp material in, it give it lift so it was reaching away from the hammocks. I also used snakeskins for the first time and they immensely helped with the redeployment.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    my experience was that the shock cords allowed the wind to move the stakes more through moving the tarp, and the stakes would pull out of loser soil during the gusty winds of Spring and Autumn. Again, this was in lose soil (sand).

it's totally unnecessary with my current setup which uses inside end pole-mods. It's tensioned so nicely it never flaps or anything in exactly that situation and, with a strong enough ridge-line, the only reason I have to guy it out is to keep it from pivoting along the ridge-line axis

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I used them when I carried silnylon and silpoly tarps. I saw no downside. They were shock absorbers for the guy lines, and tensioners for the tarp. Then I switched to a single under-tarp pole and that proved to be a better tensioner, but offered no protection from tripping over lines.

Switched to DCF tarps and no longer see value in the shock cord, other than for the doors
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I used them when I carried silnylon and silpoly tarps. I saw no downside. They were shock absorbers for the guy lines, and tensioners for the tarp. Then I switched to a single under-tarp pole and that proved to be a better tensioner, but offered no protection from tripping over lines.

Switched to DCF tarps and no longer see value in the shock cord, other than for the doors
    if you ALWAYS enter and exit the tarp area by the same route, you never trip over the lines. I started that habit back in my tent days, after tripping over a guyline and getting a rope burn on my forehead. it's served me well ever since, and I get reminded of it sometimes during setup or teardown which is the only time I really have to walk near the guylines.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WalksIn2Trees View Post
    if you ALWAYS enter and exit the tarp area by the same route, you never trip over the lines. I started that habit back in my tent days, after tripping over a guyline and getting a rope burn on my forehead. it's served me well ever since, and I get reminded of it sometimes during setup or teardown which is the only time I really have to walk near the guylines.

I do enter and exit by the same route (I use hammock pullouts that always go towards the head end, so I enter from the foot end). However, I don't use the same pitch all the times. Sometimes low and wide, sometimes high and wide, sometimes a quarter-back, other times porched.. and where the stakes and guy lines go.. I rarely repeat.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I also use the same entrance. Less chance of tripping in the dark. I want to try the pole mod. How do you stabilize the center? I was thinking about running the pole threw a persick loop on the ridge line. (Spelling)

Goodbye to a good tent. The Quest is over 20 yrs old and now the poles will go into to tarp.
    Last edited by ibgary; 10-20-2019 at 07:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast