Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Oh yeah but that's a V stake. Not really worth the savings IMO but I do own some.
    I guess my point was that I'm apparently using those wrong, too. I use the notch and have the legs of the V facing away from the tarp (opposite as shown in photo).

One nice thing about V-stakes, which is more aesthetic than functional, is that they nest together a lot more cleanly than Y-stakes.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Never had a need for shock cords

Years back some army tents were staked with large wooden stakes about 4 or 5 feet long.
    Pounded into ground about 3 feet, leaving 2 feet sticking up to tie tent guylines.

Tops of stakes were pointing in direction of tent.
    I never asked why
    They did work

I always tie my tarp guylines to trees and bushes, when available.

When I use a stake, it’s a cheap stake shepherds hook. I keep stored in old water bottle to prevent gear punctures.

One of my favorite stake replacements:
    Sturdy stick found on site. About three feet long
    Wrap guyline in a spiral barberpole wrap without any overlapping. Starting initial wrap facing away from tarp, initially wrapping under stick, maybe a dozen wraps.
    Place stick on ground at 90* angle to guyline and put a large rock or large log on wrapped stake. A little to tarp’s side, but still on stake.

In morning when striking camp, lift rock or log off of stake. Pull guyline upwards and spiral wrapped stick unrolls all by itself

Less is more...some is enough, enough is too much, more or less...

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I do enter and exit by the same route (I use hammock pullouts that always go towards the head end, so I enter from the foot end). However, I don't use the same pitch all the times. Sometimes low and wide, sometimes high and wide, sometimes a quarter-back, other times porched.. and where the stakes and guy lines go.. I rarely repeat.
    I meant once you're setup. a conscious decision not to walk near the obstacles and trip hazards around camp. like a mental version of the rope that marks a swimming area on the lake, and I might move fallen branches to mark out where not to go too, but usually just use a landmark like a pair of trees that I can see even on a dark night. exit the doorway, go between the birches, once I'm through the birches, I'm clear to go right-wards as long as i don't cross the open log, I'm clear to go leftwards as long as I stay on that side of the large tree

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    interesting to see how these threads evolve from related topic to related topic... went from bungees, to not tripping on guylines, to stakes

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    One thing that surprised me was the instructions (that I don't read) on y-stakes. The lone point goes towards the tarp! I had no idea. I figured you positioned the "v" side towards the tarp for more surface area to work against the soil. But I guess the part under the ground on the opposite side is also doing the same and they want the flatter side there. Fooled me.
    Many of the hammocking/camping/other sports myths that persist are based on similar misconceptions that are based only on cursory surface observations, and people make habits based on these observations, and it works until that one day when that condition they didn't think of isn't met, and suddenly they're getting wet and can't figure out why.

in firm rocky soil, you can get away with planting a stake without considering the orientation of the stake, and the angle of the cord, but when things get looser, that's when these things matter. I've had to use the stake only to secure the ends... wrapping the line around other things to take the force of the wind off of the stake.

Last edited by WalksIn2Trees; 10-22-2019 at 13:14.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I will admit, last weekend when I was setting up my tarp I decided to correctly put the "point" towards the tarp...then as I looked at it I said "nah!" and flipped it around. It's a habit and just doesn't seem right!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’ve never used shock cords for tarp
    Never needed them
    Maybe that is one reason my tarp is rigged not nearly as neat as other hammock campers

Neatness is important for tarps to shed rain and avoid pooling of water anywhere on tarp during rainy weather. Lately I’ve been getting tarp ridgeline tighter and also one end higher than other end. And setting tarp guylines tighter and pulling tarp into a neater shape. Sometimes I use trees and bushes instead of stakes and if they are a foot or so out of line of perfect pitch then my tarp sags in spots and rain doesn’t runoff as good as with a neat setup.
    Maybe next I’ll try shock cords and stakes for a better setup....nah

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Neatness is important for tarps to shed rain and avoid pooling of water anywhere on tarp during rainy weather.
    On that note, I'll mention my Simply Light Designs Winter Haven with 3 poles holds on to water like a champ. The top is pretty flat, so drops of water turned into quarter-sized drops just sitting there. I'll need to keep an eye on that if I encounter any heavy snow.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Shock cord work good for me but I have been toying around with different opinions I do like to keep it simple!
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678