Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Even with good quality shockcord, you really can't crank it as tight as you would something like zingit.
    I suppose that depends on your methods/hardware/etc but I've never found this to be the case. There are certainly downsides to using shock cord (including it's lower performance in very cold weather, like you mentioned). The list of downsides probably outweighs the upsides, in fact - but I personally don't agree that getting it fully taut is one of them.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    I suppose you could also argue that once you crank the shock cord to the max, it no longer “protects” your gear from any further shock loads, am I right? So if you want to minimize damage from wind gusts and wildlife/people tripping over them, you should be sure to sacrifice some tension.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I suppose you could also argue that once you crank the shock cord to the max, it no longer “protects” your gear from any further shock loads, am I right? So if you want to minimize damage from wind gusts and wildlife/people tripping over them, you should be sure to sacrifice some tension.
    I do agree with that. The shock cord probably has a lower breaking strength that most typical guyline material, so it could act as a "fuse" in a way, but whether that offers enough of the theoretical protection is another question.

Also, when shock cord is cranked to the limit, you're maximizing the potential to turn a stake into a tarp-seeking missile. And among the most likely triggers for this missile situation are the aforementioned wind gusts and tripping over the lines.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    This really seems to be the way of many. Years ago there were so many fancy setups with shockcord; personally I think people just wanted to tinker and fix a problem that didn't exist. I'm not a tinker...er. Function and simplicity over everything else.

You're never going to get a tarp cranked down as tight with shockcord as you would without. So when do go get it maxed out with shockcord, any tautness you gained is eventually lost anyway by the elasticity of that...AND the tarp. Zero gain, negative actually.
    Agreed

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I do agree with that. The shock cord probably has a lower breaking strength that most typical guyline material, so it could act as a "fuse" in a way, but whether that offers enough of the theoretical protection is another question.

Also, when shock cord is cranked to the limit, you're maximizing the potential to turn a stake into a tarp-seeking missile. And among the most likely triggers for this missile situation are the aforementioned wind gusts and tripping over the lines.
    The fuse I will use on the new tarp will be a loop of mason line connecting the tarp to the linelock. Tarp, mason line loop, linelock, tie out/zing-it, stake.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    The fuse I will use on the new tarp will be a loop of mason line connecting the tarp to the linelock. Tarp, mason line loop, linelock, tie out/zing-it, stake.

That sounds like a good plan. If you meant Lineloc 3, are you going to loop the mason line X number of times through the slot in the Lineloc, so that it stays straight? Or were you talking about this type?

I once did the first technique with shock cord on a set of Lineloc 3's so that I could add the Linelocs to a tarp that didn't have them, but I ultimately decided I didn't care for the shock cord in that particular setup. On that tarp, I switched to Atwood micro cord for the corner guylines tied to the tarp's D-rings with bowline knots. I just marlinspike the micro cord to the shepherd's hooks, pull taut and stick them in the ground. That's a DCF tarp, which doesn't really stretch - and I think the tarp is probably stronger in tension than the micro cord.

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I'm using this. It's what I have but I need to order about 3 more.

Images
    Gotcha. This is what I meant, although I'm sure there are other ways to set them up.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I've always used zing-it for my tie outs. I also use Tato Adjustable Tarp Pulls. The shock cord on those keeps tension on any over night stretch or sag and is even better in high wind at keeping stakes from pulling.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Gotcha. This is what I meant, although I'm sure there are other ways to set them up.

Just like that, but I connect with a mason line loop as the fuse, then run zing it to the stake.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast