Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

seeking best way to optimize 2 10' pieces of webbing for tree straps?

So what I normally do is put the webbing around the tree, then tie a square knot then double up both pieces of webbing and tie an overhand with a bite (slip knot) and this worked great.

But I'm wondering if I want to maximize the webbing wouldn't it be better to: 1) Loop it around the tree

2) Tie a bowline knot to secure it tightly to the tree.

3) Create a bite with the remaining longer length again using an overhand knot (slip knot).

Or ... some other method?

Asking as I'm headed to Yosemite with 2 10' pieces of webbing in addition to my Hennessy Hammock Deep Jungle XL and figuring trees might be a bit sparse especially at altitudes above 8,000'. The included cord on the Hennessy is pretty frickin long and using a single ring suspension system if it matters.

Images
    Sew loops at each end, thus turning the webbing into a pair of tree huggers? I'm not sure how you could maximize a given length of webbing any more than that.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    I agree with the loop suggestion above but would add that I would definitely check in with a ranger or someone with local knowledge of where you are planning to go to make sure hanging will be a viable option. I hope you have a great trip!

Images
    For best use of the strap, sew (or tie) an eye on one end. Then strap goes around the tree and through its own eye.

Connect free end of strap to hammock by any means you like (tied to continuous loop, threaded through a buckle, or attach a whoopie sling).

I started with two 12ft straps and did this (more or less):

1) Keep one ten foot section. Fold 6" over on each end, and sew a 3" loop. Net will be a 9ft strap with a fixed eye on each end.
    2) Cut the other ten foot section in half. Sew a 3" loop on each end. Net will be two 4ft straps with a fixed eye on each end.

This will net you three straps. The two four foot sections will be what you use most of the time. You can always chain the two 4ft sections together if you find two REALLY big trees.

Wrap around the tree, fee through one eye, use the other eye to attach the suspension. On a 12" diameter tree, you will need about 3ft of strap to go around the tree -- leaving about 1ft of tail to tie the knot, or attach to the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    For best use of the strap, sew (or tie) an eye on one end. Then strap goes around the tree and through its own eye.

Connect free end of strap to hammock by any means you like (tied to continuous loop, threaded through a buckle, or attach a whoopie sling).
    I don't have a sewing machine. Would a seamstress be able to do this or is it too thick to get the machine through?'

Also when you say sew it; how many times over would you want to go? i..e how many separate lines of thread are we talking? i'd love to be able to show the seamstress exactly what i want
    Last edited by arooni; 10-16-2019 at 09:51.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by arooni View Post
    I don't have a sewing machine. Would a seamstress be able to do this or is it too thick to get the machine through?
    Yes. Advise your seamstress to use a "denim" needle, and make sure to use a heavy thread (polyester upholstery thread is a good choice)

Quote Originally Posted by arooni View Post
    Also when you say sew it; how many times over would you want to go? i..e how many separate lines of thread are we talking? i'd love to be able to show the seamstress exactly what i want
    Have a look at this video by our very own Jellyfish. It should have everything you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Semiuseless View Post
    I started with two 12ft straps and did this (more or less):

1) Keep one ten foot section. Fold 6" over on each end, and sew a 3" loop. Net will be a 9ft strap with a fixed eye on each end.
    2) Cut the other ten foot section in half. Sew a 3" loop on each end. Net will be two 4ft straps with a fixed eye on each end.

This will net you three straps. The two four foot sections will be what you use most of the time. You can always chain the two 4ft sections together if you find two REALLY big trees.

Wrap around the tree, fee through one eye, use the other eye to attach the suspension. On a 12" diameter tree, you will need about 3ft of strap to go around the tree -- leaving about 1ft of tail to tie the knot, or attach to the eye.
    Question; I really like this approach and I have a third piece of 10' webbing that I've already converted into two 5' pieces.

I'm wondering why couldn't I just tie a bowline knot at the end of each of my pieces of webbing? That way I'll have a loop at the end of each piece of webbing. Then I have a bomb proof knot that doesn't take more than 1' of length and is easy to untie if I need it. No extra clips or weight and maximum flexibility. Thoughts?

PS: The beckett hitch is awesome. Will definitely be using that to attach my cord from my hammock to my tree straps in the future. Thanks team!
    Last edited by arooni; 10-16-2019 at 13:06.

Images
    You can certainly just tie a loop. The most appropriate knot for that would be a Water Knot which is specifically intended for flat webbing.

If you want to sew an eye, just fold the end over once and sew either 1) a box with and X inside like a seat belt, or 2) a series of 3 or more bar-tacks. You only need about 2” overlap.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you have an outdoor store - like REI - in your area, they often have a list of local people who provide sewing services for outdoor gear. I'd go for the eye, then you could use buckles or whoopie slings on the tail. But heed that advice to check with the park people. Sometimes hammocks are not permitted, sometimes park people may want 2 inch straps around the tree.

This "checking first" is admittedly tricky. If you ask, it is easy for them to say "No" and you've also alerted them of your intention. On the other hand, I've just naively set up in a site and when the park official came around - saw my webbing, my location out of the main viewing area, the tidy, "no environmental impact on the ground" setup - I was given a pass. When kayak camping, my paddling partner uses a tent. We found that after I initially set the hammock up - get suspension lengths right - I can take it down from the tree and stash it in his tent during the day. After the activity, fee collecting, etc. of the day is done, the hammock comes out and is just reattached to the tree. I'm not saying the hammock wouldn't be permitted; we are just minimizing any discussion about it. If there were a posted sign saying nothing is to be connected to the trees, of course we would honor that.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast