Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up VIDEO Trip Report: 3-day Solo Backpacking Hammock Loop - Uwharrie National Forest North Carolina

On this trip I spent 3 days backpacking the Uwharrie Trail/Dutchman's Creek Trail 20-mile loop in North Carolina during May 2019. Spring was in full force; everything was very green, the creeks and streams were full and the birds were happy to be alive. Uwharrie National Forest is a hammock campers' dream with the lay of the land and trees!

Per usual, I slept in my Simply Light Designs hammock & tarp. I've used this setup for several years now and am starting to wonder if one day I will need a replacement hammock due to natural wear and tear on my lightweight SLD Trail Lair. I'm sure I will go back to Jared for another when the time comes.

On Day 1 I covered about 1/4 of the total trip distance along the Dutchman's Creek Trail, the forecast called for only a slight chance of rain so of course it rained non-stop. Day 2 (another rainy day) took me around 10 miles along both the Dutchman's Creek Trail and the Uwharrie Trail and was capped off by an awe-inspiring thunderstorm. On Day 3 I finished off the final 1/4 of the trip along the Uwharrie Trail and then went and visited my mom for Mother's Day.

Shorter highlight video for anyone who wants the scenery without all the details: https://youtu.be/GRplaCyYq7M

Enjoy the video trip report from my journey!
    Layne

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I really appreciate all the support, positive feedback and constructive criticism from you guys over my first couple trip report videos so wanted to give y'all a heads-up that my next two videos (8 days in Yellowstone and 3 days in the Roan Highlands) I won't be posting here because I went to ground on those adventures. Nothing like sleeping in a t*nt to make one appreciate the greatness of hammocks even more! Don't worry, I will have more hammocking trips to share in the future!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    WBWooki/UGQ Bandit
    Suspension
    Standard
    Sweet thanks for sharing your trip! As close as I am to Uhwharrie I’ve still never been out there. Think I want to get out there this winter
    "Why didn’t Noah swat those two mosquitoes?"

My Backpacking YouTube Channel

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    great video, subscribed, look forward to your next video.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by prelohded View Post
    Sweet thanks for sharing your trip! As close as I am to Uhwharrie I’ve still never been out there. Think I want to get out there this winter
    If you're like me and need to plan your trips in advance due to work or other responsibilities then Uwharrie is the premier winter backpacking destination in NC. Much more predictable, and generally milder, weather than our mountains farther west. Dispersed camping is allowed all over the forest so you can always find sites with plentiful firewood. Happy to suggest routes to anyone who wants to get out there and explore!

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennsy Camp and Canoe View Post
    great video, subscribed, look forward to your next video.
    Thanks Pennsy, glad you enjoyed it! Next video will be Yellowstone and I am looking forward to releasing that one as well. I've got a buddy who wants to go on a float trip next year, I'll have to check out some of your camp and canoe videos before then to prepare.

Thanks for this I just scouted out the Uwharrie - dutchmans trail for backpacking, lots of great places to camp on that trail, planning on going either next weekend or the one after. Lot of places where you can hear water near by, very relaxing, I have heart issues and this trail is great for me as I can find great places that are not a super long walk from where I parked.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billtaichi View Post
    Thanks for this I just scouted out the Uwharrie - dutchmans trail for backpacking, lots of great places to camp on that trail, planning on going either next weekend or the one after. Lot of places where you can hear water near by, very relaxing, I have heart issues and this trail is great for me as I can find great places that are not a super long walk from where I parked.
    Hey you should join our group hang this coming weekend!

Beech Creek hammock hang - CalTopo
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by billtaichi View Post
    Uwharrie is a great place to get away and relax! Enjoy your visit out there

Hammock
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    Hey you should join our group hang this coming weekend!

Beech Creek hammock hang - CalTopo
    Was beautiful weather for a hang if y’all were out this past weekend

• + New Posts