Thread: Goose down !!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Goose down !!!

Before I start I will say I’ve been through many fantastic threads on here in the last few days researching and I’m amazed at the wealth of knowledge in here , however I’ve not found my answers, hence my questions!

Ive been donated a goose down duvet for my first ever project of making a TQ.

The label states that the duvet has 1000g of fill...

Now before I go ahead and make myself crazy with sewing baffles etc , my questions are 2.
    1. Will goose down be good enough ?
    2. I’m in Sweden and look to manage in -15 /-20 Centigrade , am I assuming correctly a 3” high baffle will give me sufficient cover /warmth?

Cheers guys

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    The issue you are going to have, is simply that you don't know the actual fill power of the down you have. That means calculating the amount of down per chamber/baffle(assuming you make a baffled quilt) can't really be calculated .... yet.

Look up a few threads on determining fillpower, make a simply apparatus to at least get an estimate of the quality of down you have, here is one I found on the forums https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...om-lofted-down ...there are lots, maybe even look up the actual method and just "wing" a quick home setup.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    The issue you are going to have, is simply that you don't know the actual fill power of the down you have. That means calculating the amount of down per chamber/baffle(assuming you make a baffled quilt) can't really be calculated .... yet.

Look up a few threads on determining fillpower, make a simply apparatus to at least get an estimate of the quality of down you have, here is one I found on the forums https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...om-lofted-down ...there are lots, maybe even look up the actual method and just "wing" a quick home setup.

Brian
    Brilliant
    Thanks Brian
    I’ll have a play about
    Watch this space

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Also, I don't know the calculator you plan to use... but this is a link to one that is very popular. The thread is also worth the read, I use the latest version of this one and it does what I need and seems to get me projects that work as designed.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...culator/page13

Brian

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanging in sweden View Post
    Before I start I will say I’ve been through many fantastic threads on here in the last few days researching and I’m amazed at the wealth of knowledge in here , however I’ve not found my answers, hence my questions!

Ive been donated a goose down duvet for my first ever project of making a TQ.

The label states that the duvet has 1000g of fill...

Now before I go ahead and make myself crazy with sewing baffles etc , my questions are 2.
    1. Will goose down be good enough ?
    2. I’m in Sweden and look to manage in -15 /-20 Centigrade , am I assuming correctly a 3” high baffle will give me sufficient cover /warmth?

Cheers guys
    Assuming you want the quilt to work well in -20°C (-4°F) conditions, you probably want to plan on having 4" (~10cm) loft height. {4" = -10°F}

For -15°C (+5°F) conditions, 3.5" (~9cm) loft height should do the job. {3.5" = 0°F}

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Assuming you want the quilt to work well in -20°C (-4°F) conditions, you probably want to plan on having 4" (~10cm) loft height. {4" = -10°F}

For -15°C (+5°F) conditions, 3.5" (~9cm) loft height should do the job. {3.5" = 0°F}
    Thanks big guy! Appreciate it. What baffles sizing/spacing would you recommend? 12” /6” ??

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post

My word has expired and I don’t use it enough to warrant buying it again... could someone be kind enough to alter the spreadsheet so that baffle height is 4” please. I’m trying to figure out my outer shell dims. Thank you kindly

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Goose down works just fine. As stated, not knowing the fill rating will be an issue
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Images
    Most bed spreads use poor quality duck down with lots of feathers. This means the fill power will be low and the weight will be high. Factor that into your plans.

• + New Posts