Images

JRB Greylock4 New style secondary suspension on JRB James River Bridge

(as this was both hammock and UQ together, I just put it in general hammock talk)Who has used a JRB Greylock since they changed the suspension a while back, to include their version of a built in secondary adjustment? t has finally cooled off enough for me to start back experimenting with this stuff. Actually a bit cold this morning counting the wind chill.

I tried to get some pics, but I don't think I managed to capture how it works:

But, what it amounts to is there is a little cord lock at all 4 corners, with a total of 3 cords going through the cord lock. The main suspension, and a line from the end channel snugging the ends up to the hammock (or the opposite for venting), and an additional small loop of ribbon attached to the UQ, which serves as the secondary. So, instead of adjusting a Prussik, you adjust the cord locks.

JRB actually includes loops on the UQ corners for attaching to the original style JRB suspension, the type that is on my MW3 convertible, the type that was on my older MW4 as well. In addition to the full perimeter length of shock cord that goes through a side channel, which is great for adjusting your UQ exactly where you want it. But the advantage to this "older" type of suspension where you just attach shock cord to the ends is: no tendency for the UQ to sag, acting like an accordion as it slides along the shock cord in the side channel, becoming shorter as it sags into the curve of the occupied hammock. Hence, on these perimeter style suspensions, the need for a secondary suspension. But with the JRB(don't know about other brands), that function is built in with these cord locks. When you adjust the quilt so that the head end is where you want it, the quilt can not easily move after that.

It absolutely works. The disadvantage might be it is not as easy to change the position of the quilt once you are in because of the cord locks at all 4 corners. But it is doable, and I found that to also be a problem with the Prussiks anyway. But the advantage is, once you are adjusted and in, this baby is staying put, and the top edge stays straight, and the UQ stays in position. And it is al very quick and easy to adjust

All things considered, this seems like a very workable solution to me. Any one else been using it, and have an opinion on it, pro or con? Also, I am reminded of how well these UQs work with these bridge hammocks. I simply never have a gap that I can find anywhere along the surface of the hammock. Also, this Greylock is long enough that only a very small leg/foot pad would be needed. (more pics of this UQ on the JRB James River in next post)

Images
    Using the Greylock on the JRB James River Bridge, in fetal position, my entire body is covered, from top of my head to feet. But, I would have a foot pad with me anyway for when I am on my back. You can tell in this pic how much of the foot end is left uncovered and in need of a pad:

Here, I am laying on my side, and actually leaning back into the side of the hammock, which I love to do. My back felt nice and warm, as always:

Here, you can again tell how much I will need to insulate with a foot pad:

Here, you can see that the back of my head is well insulated. What I love whenever I attach a JRB UQ to a bridge hammock is the lack of gaps anywhere(except occasionally along the top side/edge where there is no body contact anyway). Another thing I have always wondered about: you know those creases ( again, looks like an accordion) here is an example of what I mean: you see in all gathered hammocks? I have often wondered if those could serve as a channel for cold air. Maybe not, but there are no creases to worry about with a bridge. Look at the gap free, crease free contact under my head:

Shoulders and elbow(I may be on my side here) pressed firmly into hammock, notice the gap free quilt contact:

Up on right side, leaning back into hammocks side wall:

Empty hammock/quilt during set up:

One more:

One last:

I have not found anything that works better than this combo, plus I have found it to also work great in my GEs. Though if I had not sold my Pea Pod, that is still my all round fav insulation(for gathered end hammocks only, of course), even though I slightly prefer bridge hammocks on which a Pea Pod does not work. And I will always remain an HH Super Shelter fan. So while I have other combos I like, these JRB UQs on bridge hammocks have always been a pretty bomb proof approach for me. ( I mainly have that pillow in there because the wind was whipping the hammock around, hoping to keep it in place for a picture)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-12-2019 at 21:01.

• + New Posts