WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES

WI>9th Annual Wisconsin Frozen Butt Hang>Jan. 10-12>Boulder Junction

Join us for the 9th Annual Wisconsin Frozen Butt Hang!
    This annual group hang is organized once again by Nickofthewoods of nowoutdoors.org

Ideal for snowshoes, igloos, big fires, ice fishing, ice sailing, bushcrafting, bacon cooking, and of course lollygagging!

The Wisconsin Frozen Butt Hang, with the exception of last winter, has always been a challenging "pulk or toboggan towing" trip. We like to get waaay out there and really test ourselves and our gear. We've been lucky enough to have some of the coldest temperatures the Midwest has to offer and routinely have among the coldest of all winter hang events. Except last winter. Way to own that cold MN!

Where: This year we will be back in the Northern Highland American Legion State Forest near Boulder Junction WI. I will arrange to have a parking area plowed for us near the Escanaba Trail parking lot.

The Route: We will cross 1-2 lakes based on conditions. Head north on Escanaba Lake and take the portage trail to Lost Canoe Lake then head to the west and over the portage to Pallette Lake. The end of this portage is camp site 6 and this is where we will hang. Travel time will be roughly 1-2 hours, again, depending on snow conditions. Most of this will be over wind blown lakes and portages. The hiking trails in the area are groomed for Cross Country Skiing Only. Do not use the hiking trails. You should plan on using snow shoes or skis on this trip. The area is made up of mixed hardwoods and the site has a picnic table and pit toilet (these may be buried) The south facing site overlooking Pallette Lake has numerous large trees to accommodate LOTS of hangers. We will plan to hike out using a shorter route about 1 hour on Sunday.

This event has always been a celebration of the coldest weather we can hope for. This event is not recommended for beginners with little to no experience camping in the cold. That said, there are lots of other opportunities for beginners to dial in there gear before the hang. You can contact me at [email protected] for info on some beginner friendly trips i'm hosting here in WI.

Caution: Camping in sub freezing temperatures can be Extremely Dangerous and IS NOT the best time to try new gear for the first time (ex. stoves, tarps, boots, sleep system, etc). It is always a good idea to familiarize yourself with new equipment before taking it to the field. If you have any questions regarding your current gear or clothing, I would be happy to help.

Here are some videos from the 2019 Wisconsin Frozen Butt!

Last edited by NickoftheWoods; 10-15-2019 at 00:36.
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The "feels like" temp of 27° this morning prompted me to pull on the Big Bill wool pants and Lester River wool shirt when letting the dogs out - just to get in the mood for what's to come. Your invite for the Frozen Butt of 2020 completes the deal. I'll have to start a gear list, check it more than twice, and watch the calendar fly by until mid-Jan. Sounds like fun. I'll put ice-fishing gear on my packing list.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    One of my Madison buddies is just crazy about Pallette Lake and that little wilderness area. I met him out there for an overnight this weekend, and yea really neat little spot. You put on a great hang, wish I liked people en masse. But I don't. Enjoy!!
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0°
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Sounds perfect! A few of us from Kansas have done the Minnesota FBH the last two years and we’re looking to possibly switch up our trip this year just to get a change of scenery. Might be seeing you all there!
    "From form to form, beauty to beauty, ever changing, never resting, all are speeding on with love's enthusiasm, singing with the stars the eternal song of creation."

Hammock
    custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Nick, thank you for setting it up. Look forward to the hang and winter camping.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    One of my Madison buddies is just crazy about Pallette Lake and that little wilderness area. I met him out there for an overnight this weekend, and yea really neat little spot. You put on a great hang, wish I liked people en masse. But I don't. Enjoy!!
    Just so you are aware. Last winter we had 40 people because it was easy walking from the car, mild temp, and shug came by for the hang. Aside from last winter we have never had more than 12 people and avg about 10 people. Last time we went to this location, only 6 people made it out due to the difficulty and cold.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    I hope to make it but is all depends on work and when I have to take my NREMT
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Camo 12' DCF
    Insulation
    Loco Libre & WB
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    This sounds amazing!! Cant wait!!

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    If you are flying into Chicago, we can drive up together. I'm not to far away just over the boarder in WI. We might have a special guest flying in from the south as well.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    I am in. it has been a while since I have shared some cold with you Nick. see you there.
    diyin to hang

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast