Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I restored the route map link on the spreadsheet that was showing an error message.

The notes that NOW wrote said that Site #6 is south-facing. When you look at the images from Google Earth pasted below you can see an indent on the north shore of Pallette Lake (south-facing). That's probably very close to where we will hang.

Broad view of all three lakes:
    Three lakes.jpg

Closer detail of Pallette Lake:
    Pallette Lake.jpg
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Jacks-R-better bridge
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    JRB Top & Bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Anyone planning on doing this hike and hang should bring snowshoes. We have a LOT of snow on the ground and trying to walk in without snowshoes will be almost impossible.
    Also, bring lots of warm clothing and bedding. High on Sat. is predicted to be 11 deg. F. Overnight low Friday is 6 deg and Sat. is 5 deg.

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Thanks Watertooner!
    That link never showed up for me before.

The navigation link from the fixed spreadsheet:
    https://ibb.co/1bZHP8D

I figure about 2.75 miles from parking to camp (using the dental floss method )
    Not all who wander are lost.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    Hi everyone. Sorry for being MIA the past several weeks. My family been dealing with a multitude of medical emergencies since October and it's been tough to keep up. I made a map here marking a shortcut portage route and path along with site 6 (triangle) I also have a map showing the 2 parking options. I will be contacting the research station today to get an idea of ice conditions. For safety purposes, lets plan to park at lot B and take the short cut to Pallette. We are not to use any of the hiking trails you may find online that circle the lakes as they are groomed for x country skis. The DNR trail that leads from the small parking area to pallette is not groomed and we are free to use it. Cell service is spotty in the area but I have had no problem with Verizon.

Plan B > If I come to find that ice conditions are not safe enough in the area for any ice travel, then I will relocate the FBH to an alternate location along the Ice Age trail in Taylor County or Lincoln County on both the Forum and the Spreadsheet. If we end up on the IAT, we will be at a lake where fishing is possible.
    short cut path.pngclose up of the trail.png

Feel free to text me at 2622422757 or email me at [email protected]

A reminder than while temperatures are looking pretty mild for the weekend, you are responsible for you. Bring the gear that you know will suffice and we can all expect to have a great time
    Last edited by NickoftheWoods; 01-06-2020 at 03:40.
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    edge
    Insulation
    DIY down -40 to 40
    Do you have to have the state park pass to park here?

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    No permits or stickers or fees for the WI FBH. We keep things simple and laid back here

The location is going to change and I am working on the maps right now to post tonight on here and FB and on the spread sheet. We will be in Langlade County on the IAT near Veterans Memorial Park and Jack Lake. Stay tuned for full details

Hammock
    HH UExpl; WBBB; JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    CCS; HH Hex; WB Su
    Insulation
    MW-3, Sierra Sniv
    Suspension
    Woopie, Dutch Clip
    Thanks for hosting this Nick!

Pulled out my winter gear 2 days ago. I had carefully put away my Atlas snowshoes in the protective bag after using them on several weekends last year. To my horror the plastic of the bindings has disintegrated and cracked into multiple pieces! (good thing I inspected them, and not just tossed them in the truck). I figured I could use my wife's almost never used ones (same vintage of 20 yrs): nope! Same thing!
    So off to REI for replacements. While I was there I was looking at winter trekking boots, to replace my 20 yrs old trusty pack-boots (complete with structural duct tape). Somehow those new boots followed me home. Hemmed my wool pants for the boots, then discovered my "large" Outdoor Research gators don't fit. Errrrr.. Back to REI next day for XXL size gators. (this has become an expensive trip). We'll see what's next. (still not packed)

Hoping for a ton of snow!
    Not all who wander are lost.

As of today's ice reports for Northern, WI most lakes have an average of 5 inches of ice, and significant slush on top, with sporadic pockets of open water. So mostly safe for foot traffic, but take extra caution. It's been a goofy year for conditions. The abnormally warm weather, combined with snow cover has completely prevented the ground from freezing for the first time in years, and has been super weird on the ice! I can't make it to WI this year, despite my best efforts! Hopefully next year, and be safe out there!

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    ATTENTION!!! NEW LOCATION FOR WI FROZEN BUTT HANG.
    After dozens of calls to DNR, Park staff, bait shops, outfitters, and friends in the north woods of WI, I have decided to avoid the deep slush and spotty conditions of boulder junction. 2 major lake crossings on 4 inches of ice and 8 inches of slush just isn't ideal right now and they have rain in the forecast this week. The new location will still be great for fishing, better in fact than bolder junction. We will still cover the same distance too.

Our plan B is to hike in 1.5 miles on the Ice Age Trail in Langlade County near Jack Lake. The Parking lot on County J HERE will be plowed and from there we can head south on the IAT past the western side of Jack Lake towards Game Lake. The Park is closed to the public so we have the entire area to ourselves. There is stacked wood for us and we can also cut from the forest if need be. There are picnic tables as well. There is roughly 22 inches of snow on the ground so be sure to bring snowshoes or skis. Fishing should be decent on Game lake for panfish. Myself or another attendee plan to head up Thursday to scout both Game Lake and the east side of Jack Lake along the old IAT path. Jack lake has panfish, bass, pike, and trout. Please see the map for a better idea of the route.
    New 2020 FBH Map.png
    Here is another image of the IAT path 81758551_475845013135483_6635485581944029184_n.jpg

Be sure to see the Spread Sheet for more details. Click Here for the Spread Sheet

Please text if you have any questions or concerns while planning for this weekend. 262-242-2757
    Last edited by NickoftheWoods; 01-07-2020 at 01:53.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Insulation
    SMR Inferno
    Unfortunately I'm already taking weekends off for the MN hang and the Rendezvous, and work wasn't amenable to three in a row. Have fun out there, and hopefully I can make it next year!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast