Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    one of my tarps is an asym tarp that I made from Dutchware’s Xenon Wide asym tarp kit. I’ve really only taken it out in the summer and it’s experienced a few stroms. However, since the fabric is wide I can pitch it in “storm mode” to offer a little more coverage. You have to pitch the tarp pretty low to make sure you don’t get rain coming in sideways; it’s not a tarp to be using with heavy winds and pouring rain. The main things to consider when using an asym tarp are site selection and how high you picth the tarp.

Images
    Just checked on the hammock/asym tarp set up. It was a pretty good line of storms for an hour or so, heavy rain, pretty windy, lightning, all of that. I was watching the set up and I could see the tarp being lifted upwards by the wind, so figured no way. Plus, my pitch was anything but optimum. And totally exposed on a hammock stand. No cover from trees.

There were a few drops of water beaded up on the foot end, left side of the under cover. If the undercover had not been used, that water would have been on either the UQ or hammock foot end, though DWR would probably kept it from getting through to the inside. OTOH, with a better storm pitch and/or a more sheltered spot, I might well have avoided even that small amount of water on the hammock ends. But the Under Cover did it's usual superb job of protection. Inside, all was bone dry.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-11-2019 at 23:02.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Someone told me once that if I fudged just a little on the 30 degree hang angle I could get the tarp lower to the hammock.I'm going to assume that having the hammock a little closer to the ground to start with and the tarp as tight to the hammock as possible is about all one can do.

It's been about 15 years or so since I quit my asym but might just try it again.Seriously,I observed a storm last winter from the safety of my den where the wind was making it rain totally sideways and I just had to be glad I was not under any tarp in that situation.It looked like a car wash out there!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have a DIY wide asym, and was caught in a sudden storm. Heavy rain and winds for 2 hours. Barely had time to get the tarp up before the rain started. I stayed dry, but it took some work. With time for better site selection, or less wind, and I wouldn't have had any concerns. Unless I am trying to shave every ounce possible, I'd go with a larger tarp, but I wouldn't hesitate to take the asym when warranted.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    Kitsap Cowboy‘s Glasgow KISS tarps were super nice as well and had a storm flap. With UL fabric it would be a great alternative to Dyneema.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Kitsap Cowboy‘s Glasgow KISS tarps were super nice as well and had a storm flap. With UL fabric it would be a great alternative to Dyneema.
    I had, and used for several trips, one of KC's Glasgow KISS tarps and it was about as minimal as I would go with a tarp that I'd carry on a regular basis. Worst conditions it ever saw was moderate rain and 15mph wind, in which it performed quite well.

But for the vast majority of my trips I cannot resist the allure of the simple HG DCF Hex 11-footer which offers better coverage (for me) when wind direction changes (the bane of asyms!) in fairly nasty conditions at a weight of less than 7 ounces (incl guy lines and stuff sack). Used it on LHHT in late May with lots of rain and it was juuuuust enough for the job.

However, I still keep in the gear bin a very small SLD asym for quick trips when no rain or a slight chance of passing showers is in the forecast. And indeed I actually got showered on once or twice and was very happy to have deployed it.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    I had some success with a KISS tarp as well. Rain was limited to a heavy drizzle and the wind gusts were minimal. I was surprised that I stayed dry, but it performed great in those conditions. Driving rain would drench you though. You just can't get enough coverage, or get it tight enough to the hammock with such a limited amount of fabric. Site selection and wind play a major factor in having success with these minimalist tarps.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I tried two different Asym tarps.. both DIY. As far as I know, they are still out on the trail.

Never pitched them in the rain. In fact, I got under them in nice weather and felt too exposed so never tried them in worse conditions. I can't remember the weight of them, but I'm certain the HG DCF Standard w/ doors weighs less and covers more. That's my go-to tarp.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Our first ever hammock camping trip my wife was using the stock asym tarp with her backpacker ultralight. Heavy rains and wind and she did not get wet from the rain. But the backsplash from the ground got her under quilt wet but it never got past the DWR coating and she stayed warm and dry.

The entire ground was wet under the tarp and there was no part of the suspension for storage of her pack or shoes so they were both under my double tarp setup (stock HH Explore Deluxe Ultralight asym tarp and an old JRB 8x8 tarp.

After that trip she started using the 8x8 which gave plenty of coverage on her hammock and I used an OES Maccat Deluxe. We stuck with that setup for the next couple years while using the Hennessy.

One thing that makes a huge difference for me is not if I will get wet but will I get a poor nights sleep because I’m awake worried about getting wet! I have extremely light spinnaker JRB hex tarp that I have never gotten wet under even in real bad rain and wind but since it’s minimal coverage I’ll sleep with one eye open worried that I may get wet. Under my 11x10 rectangular tarp I’ve been in horrible storms and sleep sound with no worries of getting wet.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

I have the Dutch asym from kit and it’s a summer light rain kinda tarp
    I’ve been in wind and rain in it and the tieouts are essential
    I really want one with doors for all the other weather conditions here in MICHIGAN

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12