Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles

Have You Ever Used an Asym Tarp in Heavy Rain and Wind?

Anyone here have any experience with asym tarps?I am thinking about trying one again after ditching my Hennessey Expedition Asym.
    Last edited by Five Tango; 10-11-2019 at 08:53. Reason: wrong forum

Hammock
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I am getting the impression that nobody really uses the asym tarp.Anybody use one?Any thing special I should know before trying it?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Five Tango - The issue might be, "How Many tarps does someone own?" If a person can only afford one tarp, then it must satisfy a wide range of conditions - winter cold, blowing, stormy Rain, and summer days. A Hex tarp with doors satisfies those conditions pretty well. BUT, if I'm going on a day hike/outing I'll take a lighter, more packable, Asym Tarp - like one from DutchWare.

That's not to say it won't keep me dry in the rain - it will do that just fine; as long as I guy it properly. But with a larger tarp, I don't have to be as concerned. And when camping, a bigger tarp gives me a larger dry area in which to hang out - so I'm not captive in the hammock.

If light weight was a priority for me, I'd use an Asym all day. But it's not. The DutchWare Wide Asym Tarp would be just fine for normal use if I wanted to deal with the compromises - and benefits - that go along with it. It is my "take along" tarp for day trips. But this winter, a WarBonnet MiniFly will be in my XC ski pack.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-11-2019 at 14:19.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    I have only used one in heavy rain and wind as part of the HH Super Shelter. In which case, stayed quite dry. And wind has never been as issue at all. But the asym tarp alone? Personally, I don't really trust that.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've used mine a couple of times in moderate wind and rain with no issues. I can't speak to heavy rain and wind but where there's a will there's a way.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Heavy rain? Yes I have.

Add strong winds to that rain? No.

After getting wet (underquilt, specifically) under the HG cuben tarp w/doors, I wouldn't want to rely on an asym during one of those sudden bursts.

HG Palace for me.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It would save me about 3.5oz...but that's giving up a TON of dry space, nice big porch mode and mini doors (Thunderfly tarp). 3.5oz.

I've even given up on my standard hex after getting blasted in a storm on a "nice sunny day" courtesy of the national weather service. That one only saves me 1.6oz. Useless to argue about that.

The lazy part of me likes the idea of just 2 tieouts, but that's all it has going for me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Thanks guys.I will likely stick with my HG standard for a while yet but the less than 4 oz weight of the asym I see (out of stock currently) on Dutch's site sure is tempting.

Images
    Mine ( HH ) is hanging in a line of thunder storms as we speak. And very poorly pitched, as I did so in a big hurry < an hour ago, the rain had already started falling as I was pitching it. I went out with an umbrella to check it and there was not yet any apparent moisture on the HHSS under cover. I'll try and check again in about an hour. Lot's of lightning at the moment.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    For years I only used asym tarps. I would likely still be using an asym but went to the dark side (DCF) because of an incredible deal and my lust for lightweight. I was lucky to never get wet other than a mild misting on an UQ one time. I've only been in weather once where an asym would not have been enough and that was an extreme 10 hour wind, lighting, thunder and heavy, heavy rain event that ripped my stakes from the ground twice and left the camp low areas with feet of standing water.

To sum up. In other than heavy rain/wind events an asym is a fine choice IMO. Pack size and weight, they are hard to beat.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast