Lay flat hammock pattern

I’ve made a traditional GE hammock and now I’m addicted. I’m interested in making one that has a flatter lay as I’m a side/stomach sleeper. The ninox came up a number of times in my searches. Does anyone have a pattern/dimensions for a similar GE hammock that they are willing to share?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    you're not going to find a gathered end that's stomach sleeping flat (unless it's absolutely massive)

side sleeping is doable with strategic pillow placement

for true stomach sleeping, the perpendicular hammocks (HammockTent 90/luke's, and amok draumr) are generally the best option (expensive tho)

some of the bridge hammocks can work too, depending on what you do with your legs (ridgerunner with a pad is not bad, Town's end bridges may work for you too)

Thanks for the reply! I know I can’t fully stomach sleep in a GE. I’m mainly looking for dimensions/patterns others have used for GEs to get flatter at short lengths for inspiration.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Google portaledge...closest thing to a stomach sleepers flat lay.

Suspend over a strong tree limb, couple of tieouts to the ground to stop it swaying. Make & modify one to suit yourself.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Forget the Ninox. All that talk about "flatlay" hammock is 100% marketing. I have experimented a lot with shaping the ends of gathered end hammocks, and while you can probably create a hammock that will allow you to sleep on your stomach, it will become more uncomfortable or even unusable for side- and back-sleeping. Ever since giving up on making a shaped hammock, I have been interested in other people's results, and have bought a couple of shaped hammocks, including the Ninox. As in my own experiments, none really improved the lay.

So far, the only "gathered end" hammock I have found that did allow comfortable side-sleeping (and possibly stomach sleeping - I can't say for sure because I cannot sleep on my stomach) was a Mexican / Mayan hammock. This was not due to the length - as I have used longer GE hammocks made from fabric and none offered a comparable lay - but probably rather due to the weave. Which unfortunately makes it problematic for camping conditions.

For a camping hammock, I think you would have to either buy a 90° hammock (HammockTent, Amok or Cross Hammock) - or make your own. This hammock type has a flatter lay than all the bridge hammocks I have used so far.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtoenjes View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I know I can’t fully stomach sleep in a GE. I’m mainly looking for dimensions/patterns others have used for GEs to get flatter at short lengths for inspiration.
    Since you're fairly new to hammocks, how many full nights have you actually slept in one?

I ask because at home I am a belly/side sleeper but in a hammock I happily sleep for 10 hours or more on my back, with maybe a little "semi" side sleeping. My favorite is a 10'/64" DH Darien, but even with a 10.5'/58" Half-Wit I am perfectly comfortable.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Forget the Ninox. All that talk about "flatlay" hammock is 100% marketing. I have experimented a lot with shaping the ends of gathered end hammocks, and while you can probably create a hammock that will allow you to sleep on your stomach, it will become more uncomfortable or even unusable for side- and back-sleeping. Ever since giving up on making a shaped hammock, I have been interested in other people's results, and have bought a couple of shaped hammocks, including the Ninox. As in my own experiments, none really improved the lay.

So far, the only "gathered end" hammock I have found that did allow comfortable side-sleeping (and possibly stomach sleeping - I can't say for sure because I cannot sleep on my stomach) was a Mexican / Mayan hammock. This was not due to the length - as I have used longer GE hammocks made from fabric and none offered a comparable lay - but probably rather due to the weave. Which unfortunately makes it problematic for camping conditions.

For a camping hammock, I think you would have to either buy a 90° hammock (HammockTent, Amok or Cross Hammock) - or make your own. This hammock type has a flatter lay than all the bridge hammocks I have used so far.
    That is very interesting, and just goes to show how different we all are. At 6'1", I have had some very comfy side sleeping- legs straight or fetal- in my 10 X 4 ft Claytor No Net, as well as on my back. Also in my ~ 11 ft HH Explorer but probably better for fetal or back. Even in my short Speer 8.5(probably actually a 9 ft hammock), I do great in fetal(but not on my side with legs straight) or back. But I agree that the 90* hammocks or bridge hammocks are even better for side sleeping than any of my GEs(possible exception the Claytor). However, I am not stomach sleeping in any of them. I can go about 1/2 way between side and stomach in the bridges and Claytor(supported by the sides of the hammock). But I never go true prone position, in any hammock or bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Since you're fairly new to hammocks, how many full nights have you actually slept in one?

I ask because at home I am a belly/side sleeper but in a hammock I happily sleep for 10 hours or more on my back, with maybe a little "semi" side sleeping. My favorite is a 10'/64" DH Darien, but even with a 10.5'/58" Half-Wit I am perfectly comfortable.
    Same here. I am mostly a side sleeper in my bed, can can happily sleep on my back in a hammock. But my fav is 1/2 way to my side in a bridge, leaning back into the sides of the bridge.

• + New Posts