Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Whoopie slings win hands down because:

1. You get to say “whoopie” a lot.

2. You can tell everyone that you made it.

3. You can use a really small stick as the toggle and watch other people freak out when they think you’re hanging off a stick the size of your little finger!

Apart from that, HYOH, but always remember to hang from the knot, not the toggle.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC - DL
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Thank you everyone. After taking the 20ft amsteel whoopies out to test, I don't think these are the method for me.

I attached them to my straps at the 10 foot mark with the beckett hitch and put them about 7 feet up on the trees using my usual grappling hook style. I spanned between two trees about 40 feet apart like usual. The whoopies performed as described, however, I couldn't get them tight enough to have a rock solid hang. Plus there was so much dip that I wound up about 1.5ft of the ground when I sat down in the hammock. Notedly, this was with trying to tighten the slack in the whoopies via the whoopies, not using the strap.

I guess just because you CAN build something doesn't mean you should. I think I will stick with custom made straps from Warbonnet and just suck up the added grams/weight. The whoopies are great intermediaries for when/if something goes wrong. They are REALLY hard to adjust once the hammock is up. But I think you're supposed to adjust the strap...not the whoopies. I dunno...but its too painful in the warm weather to try and adjust with my hands...pinching the amsteel and trying to support the hammock and slide the constrictor part up enough to loosen it...feels like I need a third arm/hand or something.
    I can't imagine messing with these in the cold. That ain't gonna work. I may cut them down to a reasonable size from the adjustable end and use the rest of that amsteel for something else.

Or...if someone is interested in a pair of 20-30ft whoopies let me know...lol.

I think I'm going to use the knowledge I have gained to come back and try it again...hehe.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk (Please forgive any mistakes autocorrect made...hehe)
    Last edited by Detman101; 10-09-2019 at 13:15.

Images
    40 ft? Wow, that is some span, I don't think I have ever hung with trees over 21 ft apart, and 90% I am < 15 ft. One reason for that is the difficulty staying off the ground, regardless of what suspension I have used.

When going for the long spans, usually the only solution is to have the webbing around the tree at a level higher than I can reach. I have to use my hiking poles to push the straps up the tree. Or better yet, if possible, avoid long distances.

IT does not look like your straps are all that far up the tree. Or is that an optical illusion? Are they several feet above your head?

Hammock
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    40 ft? Wow, that is some span, I don't think I have ever hung with trees over 21 ft apart, and 90% I am < 15 ft. One reason for that is the difficulty staying off the ground, regardless of what suspension I have used.

When going for the long spans, usually the only solution is to have the webbing around the tree at a level higher than I can reach. I have to use my hiking poles to push the straps up the tree. Or better yet, if possible, avoid long distances.

IT does not look like your straps are all that far up the tree. Or is that an optical illusion? Are they several feet above your head?
    The straps were measured at being 7.5 feet from the ground up the trees in those photos. I compensated by tightening down the straps and whoopies very tightly, and it still sagged to close to 30 degrees pitch. I never get that much sag when just using the straps. The distance you see in the photos I can easily cover with the straps alone if I run the cinch buckles about 6-inches from the end of the straps. And that distance you see between the trees is exactly 30 feet. Since the trees are numbered in that area, I have the distances between the various trees cataloged for equipment testing purposes...makes it all easier.

Images
    You are right in saying they are hard to adjust when loaded. You are also right in saying they are fiddly to adjust and more so when cold. Whether or not you think the trade off in weight is worth it is entirely a matter of taste.

If you want to go lighter but don’t like whoopies, please consider ditching the buckle and caribiner and just tying the strap to the CL with whatever suspension knot you prefer.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I ditched woopies for Kevlar straps and becket hitch to CL. Light and easy.

Hammock
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    You are right in saying they are hard to adjust when loaded. You are also right in saying they are fiddly to adjust and more so when cold. Whether or not you think the trade off in weight is worth it is entirely a matter of taste.

If you want to go lighter but don’t like whoopies, please consider ditching the buckle and caribiner and just tying the strap to the CL with whatever suspension knot you prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    I ditched woopies for Kevlar straps and becket hitch to CL. Light and easy.

You guys are on the money!
    That sounds like the way I need to go...thank you!
    Hey, while you're here...do you know of a vendor I can purchase 20ft Kevlar straps from?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Dutchware has them (Kevlar 3.3, 1" width) listed up to 15' but I'll bet he'd make you some 20' ones if you email about it.

That said, just about the biggest you should need with typical 15-18' tree distance is 12', and maybe carry a 3' or 6' dog bone in the unlikely event you need an extension.

I have some 15' straps simply because I use a slipped buntline hitch to attach to tree, which requires a bit of extra length.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Dutchware has them (Kevlar 3.3, 1" width) listed up to 15' but I'll bet he'd make you some 20' ones if you email about it.

That said, just about the biggest you should need with typical 15-18' tree distance is 12', and maybe carry a 3' or 6' dog bone in the unlikely event you need an extension.

I have some 15' straps simply because I use a slipped buntline hitch to attach to tree, which requires a bit of extra length.
    I've got the 15' from Dutch and never needed longer. Even in Oregon the trees were big and not real close 12'ers would have been enough. I do carry two 5'ers extra just in case. (I also left my normal tree straps one time so these extras live in the bottom of the pack for emergencies LOL)

Hammock
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

Yep, that sounds like the way to go. I'm going to make a pair of locked brummel 6ft dogbones from the leftover Amsteel after chopping down those 20ft whoopies. Wow...another hitch I've never heard of.
    "Slipped buntline"
    I'm learning sooo much here!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast