Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chum! View Post
    Man fellas...
    The only hammock I've ever seen up close or slept in is the first one I bought 3 months ago, which is part of the reason I bought the onewind cheapo. Out of curiosity, a point of comparison and having a backup. For me... $45... any one of them with the same dimensions, kit inclusions and decent reviews would have been just as good as any other... for all I know.

Not everyone "knows" you and what your motivations might be in the recommendations you make. Being a "good guy" by requesting a discount code to, "share with memebers here" sounds great. I didn't watch the review video, but I "did" see that you also share that discount code with everyone and anyone via your YT channel. I would hazard a guess that HF and YT aren't the only places it's been posted.

You stated yourself that you actively solicit companies to provide you with free gear in exchange for YT reviews. What a cynic might see is... it's great for onewind to sell more and get their branding out. Highly cost effective advertising. It's great for you because you not only get free gear, but can encourage more sales in a short period of time with a discount code so you make a little bank, on top of free gear, from your affiliate link. It's not exactly in your best interest to "bite the hand that feeds you"... especially if you want a free UQ out of the deal too. Right?

Also, limiting your reviews/recommendations only to those companies willing to provide you with free gear, at least in my mind, doesn't necessarily give you an unbiased or qualitative comparitive view against competing products. Perceptually, anyway.

You have to be aware that there are vast numbers of people that create accounts and share recommendations "solely" on those products that give them the biggest kickbacks. They may not actually even "use" or have a personal vested interest in those products... they're just cashing in on the unboxing/first impressions video market and converting free gear to cash on eBay while earning a little pocket change from affiliate links. In the minds of others, there is no denying that makes their recommendations highly suspect.

That doesn't make you a bad guy and shouldn't be taken as a personal attack, but I don't think you can blame people for considering that pretty much the very definition of "shilling".

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I'd be curious to know how much all of the components weigh separately to see how this setup compares to cottage gear.
    That's a good point. I should do that with mine. Not talking weights, but I "will" say it's not nearly as compact as I thought it might be compared to my HH. The bug net is fairly heavy and takes up a lot of space. Not necessarily a "bad" thing since it's not as fragile as some other netting, I guess.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Shug also keeps some of the gear he reviews. Just saying . . . .
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    Looking back... the OP "does" have a /ref= in the link. Is that what they use to identify themselves ("reference" I assume?) for kickbacks from companies?
    Just FYI, every link to amazon that comes from someone just copy/pasting what's in their address bar will have a /ref in it. Try it yourself -- go to amazon, click on something, and look at the address bar. Not many people bother to clean up their urls when they post them.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    Looking back... the OP "does" have a /ref= in the link. Is that what they use to identify themselves ("reference" I assume?) for kickbacks from companies?
    I honestly don't know. I mentioned that as something I do sometimes. But even after a google search or just navigating thru amazon you get the /ref stuff. Just going to my current shopping cart and clicking on something I get "?ref_=nav_cart"

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by akaCat View Post
    Just FYI, every link to amazon that comes from someone just copy/pasting what's in their address bar will have a /ref in it. Try it yourself -- go to amazon, click on something, and look at the address bar. Not many people bother to clean up their urls when they post them.
    Yes...I just copied and pasted the onewind Amazon link. That link is in no way an "affiliate" link and I am in no way receiving a "kick back" from onewind. The video I posted in the OP is nothing more than an unboxing and demonstration video showing an interested customer what they will get if the order one. This is something that I enjoy doing as one of my MANY hobbies, hence the YouTube Channel, The Dabbler's Den. I DO like the hammock and think it is a step up from what we have come to expect from Amazon...THAT is my honest opinion and review.

I had no idea this would turn into a cross examination of my character, but here we are...is there anything else the forum would like to know about me?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chum! View Post
    I had no idea this would turn into a cross examination of my character, but here we are...is there anything else the forum would like to know about me?
    This must be your first day on the Internet. Don't worry about it, we have more tangents here than a 4th-year geometry textbook. There's also plenty who are offended by anything that's not dutchware, warbonnet, dreamhammock, etc. And then there's me who will poke fun at anything and everything.

I'm always suspicious in general since the whole Amazon "...I was given this product at a discount in exchange for my honest and unbiased review..." That still gets me going. I'm glad they shut it down.

Tangent.

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    This must be your first day on the Internet. Don't worry about it, we have more tangents here than a 4th-year geometry textbook. There's also plenty who are offended by anything that's not dutchware, warbonnet, dreamhammock, etc. And then there's me who will poke fun at anything and everything.

I'm always suspicious in general since the whole Amazon "...I was given this product at a discount in exchange for my honest and unbiased review..." That still gets me going. I'm glad they shut it down.

Tangent.
    I agree, and think the shutting down of the "unbiased review" reviews has provided more credence to my videos where I show people what they are going to get...good or bad...it it what it is. My skin is thick...and am a fan of tangents!

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema

Onewind Hammocks on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Yeah, folks can be a bit on the sensitive side around here from time to time, lol!
    It’s the same folks time and time again, that’s the sad reality.

Chum, it’s a shame you felt the need to apologize for posting your opinion on a product you own and enjoy for the sake of satiating the trolls who, in turn, add nothing of value other than how proud they are of their $500 DCF HG tarp.

Don’t take anything that’s said with disdain here too seriously, you’ll quickly learn that internet gatekeepers like these have quite little to contribute outside projecting their simpleton narrow-mindedness. I’m actually stupefied that certain HF members who are widely considered to be largely invective in their communication style, are allowed to continue their browbeating.

Hyoh, ain’t that the beauty of this little hobby of ours?

Hammock Backpacking Group
    Meetup’s largest hammock-centric backpacking group
    https://www.meetup.com/HammockBG/
    -Organizer
    Last edited by dkurfiss; 10-11-2019 at 14:31.
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Wowza. Irony meter overload.

I, for one, am greatly appreciative of Chum! providing his links and reviews. I don't care if he makes a kickback or not. I have the power of judgement and the free will to choose not to purchase something. Curious that there is a h contingent that wants to silence Chum! for providing links to products and reviews. I thought that was antithetical to "inclusion".

And honestly, that hammock package looks to be a pretty good value for the cheap china items you receive. I don't like that China parasitically steals other peoples ideas and then uses unfair labor practices to bring them to market, but if you're broke and want to get a start, a person may have no choice but to buy a package like this. Just because you're poor doesn't mean you should be excluded from hanging in a hammock. That would be heartlessly exclusive.

Anywho, hang your own hang. Right??
    Last edited by dkurfiss; 10-11-2019 at 14:33.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast