Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I have a cheap hammock from amazon that I used a few times before making my own. I have to say that the fabric quality of my DIY hammock alone puts it head and shoulders above the amazon hammock. If they start selling those with 1.6d ripstop, they might have something.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I just like how they are bucking the ALL CAPS COMPANY NAME trend. And getting wild by not even capitalizing the first letter. onewind. Well played.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn View Post
    Looking at your forum posts, you seem to shill for a lot of chinese/amazon vendors. I would also guess you're an "affiliate" for Grand Trunk.
    I'm not sure it works this way, but I always delete everything to the right beginning with "/ref=" on the amazon links. Just to not give them the satisfaction in case of a shill. Sorry to be that guy if I'm wrong in that assumption.

Post history says it all...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Post history says it all...
    Well, post history shows he is a high-school science teacher from Georgia who likes cheap hammock stuff (Snugpak, Yukon Outfitters, etc.) from Amazon. He's even got a YouTube channel where he posts his reviews. He seems sufficiently knowledgeable enough - for example, he reviewed a Snugpak hammock which came
    with a paracord suspension, which he advised was not ideal.

If you haven't noticed, we get more and more people on here who are only concerned with the cheapest possible hammock stuff that Amazon provides. I could name names, but no need to blame HF fans of extremely cheap Chinese/Amazon hammock products.

One recent post, there was a guy who bought a basic Dutchware wide netless hammock, which seemed to be his only experience ever buying from a cottage vendor. He said he would probably never buy from a cottage vendor again. The OP has used this same example in more than one post to justify sticking with $18 Amazon hammocks. Does that make him a shill, or just another fan of cheap Chinese/Amazon hammocks?

I, too, went through that phase where I wasn't willing to pay cottage vendor prices, so I have more than my fair share of extremely cheap hammock equipment (which I'm not silly enough to try to sell - just toss it into the gear locker never to be found again). I was once in search of the best $20 tarp that money can buy. You can guess how that worked out - I have a closet full of subpar $20 tarps (sitting next to my HG Winter Palace).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    ...I always delete everything to the right beginning with "/ref=" on the amazon links. Just to not give them the satisfaction in case of a shill.

I ended up buying one (arrived yesterday) for a backup/impromptu sleep over kit to keep in the truck, but Oooops... I didn't get there from that link. I might follow a link to view a product, but if it's something I'm actually considering buying I generally start from scratch and do a product search engine inquiry to get an idea of who is selling the same and for how much, and to look for reviews. Even within Amazon, it's never a bad idea to do a product search from the main page as there may be several different vendors selling the same thing with, possibly, different options and/or at different price points.

With an Amazon prime store cards additional 5% off and their 30-day no hassle returns I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a look. Not sure that I'm all the crazy about the "miles" of bug netting, but I'll give it a test hang.
    Last edited by dkurfiss; 10-11-2019 at 14:28.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I keep those "bottom of the barrel" hammocks for situations when I don't want my "real" hammocks lost or stolen - like when I am traveling out of the country. Or maybe as a day hike lender.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I keep those "bottom of the barrel" hammocks for situations when I don't want my "real" hammocks lost or stolen...
    I had thought about the cheap spare in the event of campany, but never would have thought of the theft or lost luggage angle. Excellent point! It wasn't too long after I started out and thought, "I've got a nice hammock, a reflective pad and my old sleeping bag.... I'm "good to go"!"... that the realization hit, "Oh boy... this is gonna get expensive!"

Hammock
    Onewind Double
    Tarp
    Onewind Silnylon
    Insulation
    Onewind TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Onewind Cinch
    Man fellas...I was just trying to share a decent hammock I came across on Amazon for a decent price. As you guys know, for every one person who buys a hammock from one of our cottage vendors, there are a few hundred who buy one off of Amazon...how many of those hundreds do you think take that cheap amazon hammock out camping and have a miserable time only to give the hobby up for good? If I can help just a few of them get started with decent set up, then I feel like I'm doing my part. Can any of you argue that this onewind hammock is a good option for an Amazon Hammock???

I do have a YouTube Channel, The Dabbler's Den, where I 'dabble' into everything from hiking with my daughter to scientific research, and yes...Amazon Gear Reviews. I don't make a dime off the products I review for the YouTube channel...if I'm lucky, I may gain an new subscriber from time to time (Only 900 right now, so I'm not even making any money there!). If I find something that I think fits the genre of the Dabbler's Den, I approach the company to see if they would like an unboxing/demonstration video in exchange for the product...if they do, cool! if not, no sweat! Is that being a "shill"? Hahahaha!!! As a matter of fact, onewind really liked my video, and when they asked me if there was anything they could do for me, all I asked for was a chance to review their full length underquilt (which I'll be looking at this weekend), and a coupon code to share with the members here...

The code expires at the end of the week.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Chum! View Post
    Man fellas...I was just trying to share a decent hammock I came across on Amazon for a decent price. As you guys know, for every one person who buys a hammock from one of our cottage vendors, there are a few hundred who buy one off of Amazon...how many of those hundreds do you think take that cheap amazon hammock out camping and have a miserable time only to give the hobby up for good? If I can help just a few of them get started with decent set up, then I feel like I'm doing my part. Can any of you argue that this onewind hammock is a good option for an Amazon Hammock???

I do have a YouTube Channel, The Dabbler's Den, where I 'dabble' into everything from hiking with my daughter to scientific research, and yes...Amazon Gear Reviews. I don't make a dime off the products I review for the YouTube channel...if I'm lucky, I may gain an new subscriber from time to time (Only 900 right now, so I'm not even making any money there!). If I find something that I think fits the genre of the Dabbler's Den, I approach the company to see if they would like an unboxing/demonstration video in exchange for the product...if they do, cool! if not, no sweat! Is that being a "shill"? Hahahaha!!! As a matter of fact, onewind really liked my video, and when they asked me if there was anything they could do for me, all I asked for was a chance to review their full length underquilt (which I'll be looking at this weekend), and a coupon code to share with the members here...

The code expires at the end of the week.
    Yeah, folks can be a bit on the sensitive side around here from time to time, lol! From an objective point of view, the Onewind hammock does actually seem like a good deal for what you get. It looks like their "X Steel" is some kind of UHMWPE cordage, similar to Amsteel. I like the one panel body, and the fronkey style bug net. A 10' or 10.5' hammock is not unreasonable, and will still be plenty comfortable for many folks.

I'd be curious to know how much all of the components weigh separately to see how this setup compares to cottage gear. I love my Dream Hammocks; but I could definitely see myself picking this up for my kids as a totally viable camping option.

Another hammock I saw on Amazon a while ago- and also looks very nice for the price is the Ridge Hammock. Unfortunately, it is out of stock right now. But if I remember correctly, it was only like $50 or something. Not bad at all for a fully netted 11' hammock. Here's the link. https://www.amazon.com/11ft-Camping-...C7WBB4HDZF7DQM

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast