Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Yes, AAI in Bellingham!

Only pic I could find is this one of our camp on the Coleman glacier (yes Coleman glacier, Colfax is the smaller adjacent peak... what I get for going from old memories) baker001.bmp

lol mountaineers are not know for a bunch of camp luxuries... just getting it done as quickly as possible, sleep in your bibs and boots.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yes, AAI in Bellingham!

Only pic I could find is this one of our camp on the Coleman glacier (yes Coleman glacier, Colfax is the smaller adjacent peak... what I get for going from old memories) baker001.bmp

lol mountaineers are not know for a bunch of camp luxuries... just getting it done as quickly as possible, sleep in your bibs and boots.
    Thanks, nice pic. I lost all of my slides from that trip many years ago. But that looks very familiar, it might be pretty close to the area where we camped and where the German guys dug their snow trench. Yep, get er done, speed over luxury for those guys!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Nothing I can add to this thread, coming late as I have...

Practice.. in the dark, cold, wet.. I am lucky to have a great spot on my property so I take advantage of inclement weather
    Systematize.. Repeatability is key. Everything goes in the same place, in the same order.
    Simplify.. Boil your kit down to the least components. One of the reasons I ditched the internal pole, though I loved it. Just one more item to contend with.

Tarp is in the outside pocket most of the time. If weather is known to be clear, I'll put in the pack, under my food bag. Keep it in a mesh snake skin and then a DCF stuff sack, to help prevent snags on the mesh if I put it in the outside pocket.

Quilts and hammock go in a nylofume liner (Top quilt goes in first, the under quilt and then hammock). Though both of my packs are DCF, the liner is 1.0 oz habit I haven't broken.. yet.

Clothes, cook kit and food bag go on top.

No color coding needed other than on the CLs and UQ mitten hooks. Again, simplifies when everything can go up without regard to head or foot.

Switched to a fanny pack rather than hip belt pockets so I don't have to transfer items I know I will need in camp

Hammock goes up first when whether allows. Another habit from long ago.

Like I said.. nothing new to add.. ;-)
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    Now THAT's slick! Who woulda thunk... Thanks for the share.
    I absolutely LOVE mine. It makes set-up/take down soooooo much quicker and easier, especially in bad weather. Before I pack it all up at home to head out, I set it up in my yard : hammock w/ UQ & UQP , TQ + pillow + clean clothes for bed inside hammock , then skin it with the catch all. When I get to camp all I have to do is set my tree straps w/ MSH then hang the catch-all. After that I'll pitch my tarp in it's snake skin then set it up. Depending on the weather and time of day, I can leave the catch -all on if I need space to cook under my tarp or remove it after the tarp is set to let my quilts fluff and/or make any minor suspension changes. Take down is just as simple : re-deploy the catch all & take it + suspension down, then wrap tarp guy lines , skin + take down tarp. Then I can just cram it all into my pack and put anything else on top. I try to have out only the things I'll need in the morning ,with everything else already packed up or in its stuff sack before I go to bed. That also helps a lot with take down time in the morning if I know it's going to be raining or I'm going to be in a rush to head out. Here's a link to the vid I did when I got mine :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bZWg98ZVUt0&t=109s
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 10-12-2019 at 09:42.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    >Use color to your advantage.

On hammocks that have a head end - like a ridge runner or BlackBird - I use colored Amsteel; "Head is Red". Same for mini-miners on UQ's. Ridge Runner and HG quilts have a head end.

If you don't want the swap out the original Amsteel, you can use a colored biner or, for the UL gals, a small loop of colored thread, to indicate the head end of gear.

I use colored hair ties for my suspension. Red for head and blue for foot. The other advantage of hair ties is the elastic is enclosed so it doesn't break down as quickly from exposure to light and if it does break down, it doesn't leave a gummy residue.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Bringing this thread back up to add my two cents on tarp setup. Early on, I didn't see the value in snake skins, until I tried to set up a Superfly in the wind. At that point snake skins became a priority. I've since grown to somewhat dislike them though they are wonderful when setting up in the wind... I found, at least with a Superfly, I can't just stuff the tarp in the snake skins or it makes a mess of my guy lines (I prefer them left on the tarp as opposed to on the stakes). That lead me to rolling my tarp up before carefully putting it back in the snake skins. If done correctly it makes for a super fast deployment, but it's not so fast to take down. Since I was rolling the tarp up anyway, I've gone to using a couple of gear ties in place of the snake skins. I just roll one end of the tarp up, put a gear tie on, continue rolling to the other side and then start stuffing into the double sided stuff sack. Just as fast to deploy, a bit faster to take down, and less material to deal with when comparing to snake skins.

Regarding the hammocks and quilts, I've always thought Wilderness Logics' Lazy Slug Tube would make for a quick setup/takedown leaving everything already hooked up but I never bothered to get one. Now, of course, they are out of business. I may have to look at the SLD Catch All as a replacement now that I am using a Warbonnet Ridgerunner more often. If I leave the Spindrift sock on, the UQ becomes much harder to attach/detach and keeping it all together would make for a super fast setup/takedown.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    ...I just roll one end of the tarp up, put a gear tie on, continue rolling to the other side and then start stuffing into the double sided stuff sack...
    I've never rolled a tarp up. I've always just stuffed it into a double-ended stuff sack. I tried rolling, but it seemed difficult, time-consuming and it created trapped air that made it impossible to fit into the stuff sack.

I can understand that on a windy day, rolling before stuffing is a good idea. But how do you roll it?

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I've never rolled a tarp up. I've always just stuffed it into a double-ended stuff sack. I tried rolling, but it seemed difficult, time-consuming and it created trapped air that made it impossible to fit into the stuff sack.

I can understand that on a windy day, rolling before stuffing is a good idea. But how do you roll it?
    This isn't my video but I do basically the same thing with my Superfly as he does here. Or at least I used to before I started switching things to rubber wire ties instead of snakeskins. Either way (ties or skins) I roll it up the same way and then unhook one side from the ridgeline and start stuffing the tarp back into the double sided stuff sack. Mine fits with or without skins just fine though both the skins and stuff sack are a bit redundant. Packing things up this way my tarp never touches the ground and sets up very easily the next time I go to deploy it. Rolling the tarp does take a bit longer than just stuffing it but the reward, at least for me, is that when I deploy it the next time it's much quicker in any conditions (rain, wind, etc.) than if I just stuff it up and get my lines all tangled.

If someone else has a better method (short of removing lines from the tarp) I'm all ears.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    This isn't my video but I do basically the same thing with my Superfly as he does here. Or at least I used to before I started switching things to rubber wire ties instead of snakeskins. Either way (ties or skins) I roll it up the same way and then unhook one side from the ridgeline and start stuffing the tarp back into the double sided stuff sack. Mine fits with or without skins just fine though both the skins and stuff sack are a bit redundant. Packing things up this way my tarp never touches the ground and sets up very easily the next time I go to deploy it. Rolling the tarp does take a bit longer than just stuffing it but the reward, at least for me, is that when I deploy it the next time it's much quicker in any conditions (rain, wind, etc.) than if I just stuff it up and get my lines all tangled.

If someone else has a better method (short of removing lines from the tarp) I'm all ears.

I use the skin & stuff sack.. most days. The skin helps wrangle loose lines. I grab the doors and put and single turn in them capturing the guy lines and door lines if they aren't already rolled in the door tie backs. Also lay the tail of the ridge line in that single roll so it's not dangling (I use split lines). Gather it up loosely towards the ridge and slide the skin over it to about the halfway point. Then repeat with the opposite end. Seems to be far easier than anything I done over the years. Never get a bubble since it's all pushing towards one end. It's a bit more challenging for the HG DCF Palace than it is for the Standard because of the extra bulk.

If the tarp is wet or if it's going to rain, it goes in the DCF stuff sack in an outside pocket. If it's dry, I might forego the stuff sack and I often put it in the pack rather than outside just to protect it.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

I use the skin & stuff sack.. most days. The skin helps wrangle loose lines. I grab the doors and put and single turn in them capturing the guy lines and door lines if they aren't already rolled in the door tie backs. Also lay the tail of the ridge line in that single roll so it's not dangling (I use split lines). Gather it up loosely towards the ridge and slide the skin over it to about the halfway point. Then repeat with the opposite end. Seems to be far easier than anything I done over the years. Never get a bubble since it's all pushing towards one end. It's a bit more challenging for the HG DCF Palace than it is for the Standard because of the extra bulk.

If the tarp is wet or if it's going to rain, it goes in the DCF stuff sack in an outside pocket. If it's dry, I might forego the stuff sack and I often put it in the pack rather than outside just to protect it.
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234