Thread: Turtle Dog Legs

Turtle Dog Legs

My husband brought home a set of the green aluminum antenna mast poles and they sat in the backyard for two years so I have finally completed a turtle dog stand using that. I also have made a turtle dog stand using the 2 by 2 wood legs but I like the portability of the military surplus poles. Does anybody know if you can use the same material that you use for the top rail which is the chain link top rail as legs for a turtle dog tripod with a Clove hitch lashing as the tripod connection at the top? I know that some have used the metal conduit but I like the tapered end of the top rail for portability. Thanks!!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I use the "top rail" as actual mast material for a radio antenna. It is plenty strong - and not bendy in short lengths. I'm imagining you could cut the 10 ft section in half (and trim more to get your desired length), then "reassemble" the legs by connecting the tapered end in the middle of the two pieces. The pressure of the stand should hold it, but you could drill a small hole through the joined pieces and secure with a very small bolt; you could do the same with the rail tops.

You would lash the three pieces the same as you would wood though there might be other solutions. I'm guessing you restrict the spread of the base with some cord.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-07-2019 at 17:16.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Awesome!! Thanks!! I was wondering about the weight bearing potential of it but it sounds like the galvanized steel is plenty strong.

• + New Posts