Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle

OneTigris Twilight Trekker Hammock Underquilt

New member here, I have looked and not found anything on this newer UQ ( OneTigris Twilight Trekker Hammock Underquilt) . I have a cheap 9.5' hammock ( ETROL , 40 bucks with bug net, one sided zipper) and it is totally reversed from the norm in the diagonal lay with the pull outs ( Shug style). I had purchased a Banana style Onetigris UQ ( 30bucks) and tried to get it to expand with many hours of hand sewing to get a covered diagonal lay. TOTAL FAILIER.

I do plan on getting a Dutchware Chameleon, because of the UQ hooks in the future. That is if I like Hammocks, still wondering. And I do not know what Lay I prefer just yet. So Asym or Sym for my bug net is still up in question on the future Chameleon purchase?

Back to the OneTigris Twilight Trekker Hammock Underquilt. I see it has exposed shock cord in the suspension to hold the UQ. Thinking this would be good to hold it in place now (I have one clip on each side currently to hold the head and foot end.) and in the future with a Chameleon . The Snugpack has one adjustment but the OneTigris has many more possible adjustment points. Loops and toggles possibilities. Obviously I need to stay under 100 bucks based off of the UQs I am looking at. Motorcycle camping is not so weight sensitive.

I would like to get a HG Econ but need to keep the price down right now. Besides it is only 44" wide compared to the 50 and 56" others I am looking at right now. I hate being cold and these old bones do not warm up fast.

Thoughts on the OneTigris Twilight Trekker Hammock Underquilt ???

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I wouldn't expect much from a $60 UQ off Amazon. You're not going to find any reviews of this UQ because most people on HF don't buy that stuff. I'd get a real UQ like the HG Econ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I wouldn't expect much from a $60 UQ off Amazon. You're not going to find any reviews of this UQ because most people on HF don't buy that stuff. I'd get a real UQ like the HG Econ.
    WOW,

Taking into account the written word can be misinterpreted I see your point on a real UQ. Yet I do not wish to spend the $ right now and it seems a 44" HG would not be in my best interest since I can get a 58" for now with my cheap hammock and know it should cover my shoulders. I am still working out the logistics of UQs. I have watched all the vids from Shug to the Shill brothers and beyond on UQs and still confused on coverage. Even the Wookie is not a sure deal for me. Seems It leaves off on the aspects of warmth due to the back pack abilities. I am not a back packer.

Images
    With the Chameleon, both the asym and the symmetric bugnets allow you to lay on either diagonal. The difference is that the symmetric version allows you to switch lay directions anytime, without changing anything about the setup. With the asym version installed, it will be set for one diagonal direction. If you want to switch to the other direction, you have to remove the net, flip it over, and reattach it. The Warbonnet Blackbird and Eldorado have asym nets that work this way, too.

The Wooki is a directional item. You have to know which diagonal direction you're going to lay on before deciding which version to order. In fact, if you find you prefer head right feet left (what Warbonnet calls "reverse lay"), that version of the Wooki is $25 more than the normal version.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-05-2019 at 19:00.

Images
    A few years ago, the very first hammock specific under insulation I got was a OneTigris, but not the specific version you're asking about. I used it once or maybe twice, but didn't like anything about it. It wasn't set up for success out of the box, and I couldn't find adequate modifications to make it work easily so I returned it. It was impossible to seal the ends to avoid drafts, and it was like laying in a pita pocket or taco shell, which really restricted the ability to lay on a diagonal.

My next attempt was the Snugpak underblanket, and if you're not concerned about weight or bulk, I can give that one a decent recommendation, especially for value. However, I've since moved on to using down underquilts from the cottage vendors that are well known on the forum. Don't worry about a 44" wide quilt being too narrow. That's quite standard and I suspect the vast majority of hammock campers have quilts that are roughly that width.

A 20° Econ Incubator for $180 or a 20° Econ Phoenix for $150 are both well worth the money. I doubt anybody who has one of those items would argue. They are a bigger expense than the synthetic Chinese-made quilts, but they are worth the money and will last a very long time with proper care. You can also be confident they'll work to their rated temperature, while I wouldn't feel as confident about the OneTigris product.

If I was looking for a synthetic UQ for a little less money than the down products, I'd go with Arrowhead Equipment. Paul who owns it is a stand-up gent and I give them my full endorsement.
    https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...Camping-Quilts

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Got it, Thank you. I just do not have a chameleon yet, and need to see if I can get along with my current hang. I have contacted Dutch on the asym and sym hangs. Before I go out there and make a real purchase, on an 11' model. even with the Wookie coverage it seems slim in coverage, not doubting the quality at all. just the coverage I want/ Need. I need a real hammock to judge this maybe. But I do not have the cash now to do a real hammock. Besides I plan to camp 2-3 times a year. Not wanting to invest so much, yet the best is the best. I do know that. I do not want down as an insulation in my particular use.

I realize most hammock gear is made for back packers, I am not a back packer so I do not need the minimalist approach, If I may be in the wrong forum please direct me to the best place. I am a belt and Suspenders kinda guy. Over kill is acceptable, in my usage.

Images
    You can try a basic 11' netless hammock from Dutch for $30. It lacks the features of a Chameleon, but will be every bit as comfortable.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/wi...less-hexon-17/

You'll still need some form of bottom insulation which could be a pad - maybe you already own one, and it sounds like you're not sure if you'll like the hammock or not. But sleeping on a pad in a hammock isn't quite as comfortable as sleeping in a hammock with an underquilt.

Maybe you can find your way to a group hang, where you'd be able to see different setups in person without trial and error spending.

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I looked at Arrowhead equipment, It was missing the outside shock cord. I guess I could add it , just was an extra costs to get a seal around the edges. Plus only 3 loops the whole length seemed a bit sparse.

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Maybe the dutchware is the best test. I would need to learn how to tie a ridgeline on it to make a direct comparison though. I can learn.

Nice thought. Group hang is a great idea too.

All this conversation was about is I need something OK not great for a few trips a year. Need to be comfortable and longevity is not an issue right now. Money is.

I do not have an issue spending what it takes to enjoy this, but I do not know yet if I will have the access and will enjoy this just yet.
    Used Hammock gear has a very big depreciation factor.

I totally want to support our cottage vendors, I just need some cheap solutions for now. I do not own a sewing machine, but know how to use one. And My Dad will not share Moms machine.( 6 hrs away). He still uses it. It is in the will though = for me. LOL So is the radial arm saw.
    Plus learning a differential sew is not in my wheel house, I will leave that to the professional Cottage venders.
    Last edited by mbarr10; 10-05-2019 at 19:58. Reason: add on

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
    Maybe the dutchware is the best test. I would need to learn how to tie a ridgeline on it to make a direct comparison though. I can learn.

Nice thought. Group hang is a great idea too.

All this conversation was about is I need something OK not great for a few trips a year. Need to be comfortable and longevity is not an issue right now. Money is.

I do not have an issue spending what it takes to enjoy this, but I do not know yet if I will have the access and will enjoy this just yet.
    Used Hammock gear has a very big depreciation factor.
    Hi mbarr,

Gear you hate isn't worth anything, regardless of what you paid.

Quilts in general are expensive, but are worth every penny. I understand that pennies may not be available for you right now, but reaching down to the bottom of the barrel is most likely going to disappoint you and leave you feeling like you wasted whatever you spent. A lot of people on this forum got started on cheap junk and eventually spent more money after upgrading over the years than if they had just taken the splash for the big ticket item in the first place.

That said, you might be interested in DIY underquilt projects. Check out the Gemini Underquilt (Costco now sells synthetic blankets too) and the Hygge Hugger from Ikea.

Some other options:
    - buy used gear right here on the forum.
    - buy something nice and then sell it next year if indeed you do not use it or like it. The depreciation will be less than what you spend buying a rack full of junk off Amazon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast