Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Make sure to watch the for sale section, notsure if you can see it yet. I know there is a minimum numbers of posts to sale items. Currently there is a HG 30 econ phonenix for sale. Lots if people flip gear here and especially quilts.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...G-Econ-Phoenix

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
    WOW,

Taking into account the written word can be misinterpreted I see your point on a real UQ. Yet I do not wish to spend the $ right now and it seems a 44" HG would not be in my best interest since I can get a 58" for now with my cheap hammock and know it should cover my shoulders.
    You are assuming that a 58" wide OneTigris will be as warm as a 44" HG quilt. That is an erroneous assumption.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You are assuming that a 58" wide OneTigris will be as warm as a 44" HG quilt. That is an erroneous assumption.
    Understandable . All I know now is If I am not covered I get cold. That is My biggest concern. Any clips and areas of holding the UQ in place for my sleep is my biggest concern. And a wind break. Not much luck with a banana shape UQ at all. Even with extending it. To many hours wasted there.

So I am assuming with more width I can get a better seal around the top of the Hammock to keep me warm. Anything above my shoulders and still above my feet will help. Seems like and reality are 2 different things. It may look like I am re-inventing the wheel, I am not trying to do that. The science and experiences are already there. Diagonal hangs do not seem consistent with UQs. Yet I realize if it does not seal I will loose the warmth with a slight breeze. These are my concerns. Right now I do not have anything to work with. What I have is Crap/ non workable materials. Until Tuesday.

Looking at 45-50 degree weather tomorrow in Minneapolis, MN I Just set up a system set up in my garage for now. and ordered the OneTigris Twilight Trekker Hammock Underquilt. Will be here Tuesday. I will not post a review since it will not correlate to the Entrol hammock which is not really relevant here since it is an off brand cheap hammock.
    Yet I will/ may have information to adaptations on my next hammock. When and If I do get the DW Camelon I will share.

Thank you all for the input. I'm Going out there off the deep end. Wish me luck
    Last edited by mbarr10; 10-05-2019 at 22:29. Reason: add on

Hammock
    DW Chameleon/ WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    DW / WB
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DW Beetles/SpdrPly
    Quote Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
    Maybe the dutchware is the best test. I would need to learn how to tie a ridgeline on it to make a direct comparison though. I can learn.

Nice thought. Group hang is a great idea too.

All this conversation was about is I need something OK not great for a few trips a year. Need to be comfortable and longevity is not an issue right now. Money is.

I do not have an issue spending what it takes to enjoy this, but I do not know yet if I will have the access and will enjoy this just yet.
    Used Hammock gear has a very big depreciation factor.

I totally want to support our cottage vendors, I just need some cheap solutions for now. I do not own a sewing machine, but know how to use one. And My Dad will not share Moms machine.( 6 hrs away). He still uses it. It is in the will though = for me. LOL So is the radial arm saw.
    Plus learning a differential sew is not in my wheel house, I will leave that to the professional Cottage venders.

For $7.50 you can get a fixed SRL on this hammock.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
    - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    7.50 for a ridgeline. That should do it. Then I will be able to compare apples and apples. and work out the kinks.

Thank you all.

Tarp
    Outdoor Skye 10x10
    Insulation
    JC Penny Throws
    Suspension
    daisy chain straps
    Welcome to the forum! I am and was in the same boat as you, getting into hammocking with very small budget. I too have a cheap hammock, though mine is from a big box store and not Amazon. I tried the Dutch wide netless hammock and hated it. it was a big waste of money to me. Not sure if I will ever buy a product from a cottage vendor again. went back to the 9' cheap hammock. for a cheap UQ that works for me, may I suggest the Gemini DIY UQ, that was mentioned earlier. I used that as a pattern to make UQs from a pile of JC synthetic throws. UQs that are 60x70, so great coverage all around you. stack them four deep and 4 more as overquilts have gotten me down to the low 20s. I have a post about them on here somewhere. they are a bit pricy but go on very steep sale around holidays. I got mine at Valentines day for $11/each. Columbus day is coming up soon and they will most likely be on sale again this week or weekend. they are heavy and bulky, but cheap and warm.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wienerman View Post
    I tried the Dutch wide netless hammock and hated it. it was a big waste of money to me. Not sure if I will ever buy a product from a cottage vendor again.
    That's it? You bought one Dutch wide netless hammock? Is that all the experience you have with cottage vendors?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    That's it? You bought one Dutch wide netless hammock? Is that all the experience you have with cottage vendors?
    Actually agree with silvrsurfr on this one. Any bottom-tier hammock is basically just a fabric rectangle with hemmed edges. It's pretty hard to distance yourself from competition at that level. You can easily make your own on a sewing machine in an hour.

But my Warbonnet Blackbird is not just a rectangle - it has patented features that are hard for the DIY crowd to replicate (footbox, shelf, zippered net, etc). It was well worth the price.

Hammock
    Camelon
    Tarp
    12' Gold Armor
    Insulation
    One Tigris WInter
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle

OneTigris Winter UQ with a Dutchware Cameleon

oneTigis Winter UQ.jpg This is what I purchased for my UQ.$ 80.00. Then I ordered a Dutchware Cameleon. I needed a real hammock to test it on. Dutch had the Cameleon out for shipping the next day= WOW. Thanks Dutch. Just tried it out today in the garage and it fit almost perfect. With no fiddling. Just clipped it on. No.. this is not a real, UQ. I get that. It is a good wind block and wide enough= 58" to cover my feet and shoulders, on a very good diagonal lay. And 98" long= 8.2 ft. Rated for 20 degrees ( I do not believe it) , I do not expect to see less than 50 degrees in my endeavors. It was 40 degrees today in Minneapolis. It may not even last very long but for me... it will be long enough for the price. The big plus is it is not a Banana shaped. Like the first UQ I had ordered for 30 bucks. I am sure the shock cords will not last and I ordered some toggles to synch it around the hammock better at the ends. It comes with them all tied together with 1 whimpy clip on each end, and you need to slide the cords around in the sewn sleeves. It did not seem to be a very sound with holding adjustment. But it Blocks the wind, not hardly any sag at my butt at all. And that is out of the stuff sack. Since I ordered the Cameleon, I have clips and "D" rings on the sides to hold it in place. Of course the exposed shock cords on the sides do not line up with the D rings on the Cameleon. Fiddling will come.

No reviews on line for this particular shaped OneTigris UQ. They are all for the Banana shaped ones. Not sure why this shaped and designed one fell under the radar. It looks like the normal cottage industry UQs. I bought this due to the shape of Real UQs that are sold by real UQ folks. After I install toggles on the ends it will be just like any other quality UQ for adjustments and hang. Just not the same quality materials , workmanship and insulation. But for me It will serve its purpose while I learn and decide what I need and want.

Just to throw in my opinion of this UQ as well for anyone who stumbles upon this thread, as I have the 3-season version and I've searched all over for any reviews/opinions/tips.

It is fiddly.
    The way the elastic cords are tied I highly recommend untying them and adding toggles so you can adjust them better.
    So far I have spend only 2 nights in it last fall, in temperatures close to 5-6 C and I was cold. I'm almost certain I just had it badly set up and it was drafty. As well as it probably can't really handle the advertised 4C (40F).

But I can feel immediate heating up on my back when I lay in it so I'm sure once I get the hang of it it will serve it's purpose until I save up for that HG Econ Incubator

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12