Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who has a WBDB TQ w/adjustable side elastics? Assistance req'd.

I just received my custom DB and have a question. How are your side elastic ends secured at the top corners? On both sides, does the shock cord run continuously to the corner, loop and then secured with the corner box stitching?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Mine are secured at top corners.
    I can offer is a peek at mine at 1:57 in the video. And cinching at 2:40 in.
    Maybe will give some insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks, Shug.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if the shock cords are continuous and secured in the corner stitching. On mine... one side is continuous. It loops up in the corner (along with the neck cords end loop) and both are secured by the corner box stitching.

The other side.... not so much. ;-) The shock cord end loop is about 2.25" below the corner, then there is thin, non elastic (so doesn't appear to be shock cord inner core), thread connected to the end of the shock cord loop and runs up to the corner to be secured in the box stitching. My concern being... how well is that thread going to hold up. It's pretty thin so if it slips out from the securing stitching... or breaks on me... there is no easy access to reattach the shock cord.

In the photo... (sorry for the bad focus), the yellow line represents shock cord. Running from the left is the neck cord and from the right, the side adjustment cord. The red is the thread connecting the shock cord to the corner.

I contacted WB and got a response from Ryan, but it made no sense to me. Evidently, there shouldn't be any thread in the "red" section and the end loop is "tacked down" where it is supposed to be 2.25" below the corner. (although the other side is continuous and secured in the corner)

Only problem with that... the fabric channel moves freely up and down over the loop end of the shock cord. No adhesive and no stitching to secure it, so if the thread wasn't holding it in place from the corner it would simply pull out.

Hence... asking here to see what is "typical" in their DB's.

DSCN0643_clr.jpg

Images
    Carry needle and thread so you can make a field repair.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
    Thanks, Shug.

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if the shock cords are continuous and secured in the corner stitching. On mine... one side is continuous. It loops up in the corner (along with the neck cords end loop) and both are secured by the corner box stitching.

The other side.... not so much. ;-) The shock cord end loop is about 2.25" below the corner, then there is thin, non elastic (so doesn't appear to be shock cord inner core), thread connected to the end of the shock cord loop and runs up to the corner to be secured in the box stitching. My concern being... how well is that thread going to hold up. It's pretty thin so if it slips out from the securing stitching... or breaks on me... there is no easy access to reattach the shock cord.

In the photo... (sorry for the bad focus), the yellow line represents shock cord. Running from the left is the neck cord and from the right, the side adjustment cord. The red is the thread connecting the shock cord to the corner.

I contacted WB and got a response from Ryan, but it made no sense to me. Evidently, there shouldn't be any thread in the "red" section and the end loop is "tacked down" where it is supposed to be 2.25" below the corner. (although the other side is continuous and secured in the corner)

Only problem with that... the fabric channel moves freely up and down over the loop end of the shock cord. No adhesive and no stitching to secure it, so if the thread wasn't holding it in place from the corner it would simply pull out.

DSCN0643_clr.jpg
    I'll try to remember to look at mine this weekend... Worth saying... I LOVE this thing so far !! Great quilt !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    I'll try to remember to look at mine this weekend... Worth saying... I LOVE this thing so far !! Great quilt !!!
    Thanks! I appreciate it. I've still been getting the run around with WBCS so it would be nice to know what's really what.

Other than that... it's Awesome! Took me all of 30sec after opening the box to get layed up in it. In the house at 68*'s though I only kept it on for 2-3min before I knew it was going to start getting uncomfortable real quick. Things warm as H***!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Thanks! I appreciate it. I've still been getting the run around with WBCS so it would be nice to know what's really what.

Other than that... it's Awesome! Took me all of 30sec after opening the box to get layed up in it. In the house at 68*'s though I only kept it on for 2-3min before I knew it was going to start getting uncomfortable real quick. Things warm as H***!
    Just inspected mine. It is the same as yours. I don't think, however, that a thread anchors that loop to the corner box stitch. It appears that the loop is anchored in place somehow. I couldn't move the loop up or down the channel.

Here is a picture of where that loop is located within the channel on mine. You can vaguely make out the end of the loop as I'm pushing on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks, Shug.

DSCN0643_clr.jpg
    But does it cinch you up? Maybe not worry about something that has not happened yet. Or has it given away?
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

[QUOTE=Countrybois;1990529]Just inspected mine. It is the same as yours. I don't think, however, that a thread anchors that loop to the corner box stitch. It appears that the loop is anchored in place somehow. I couldn't move the loop up or down the channel./QUOTE]

Yup. I can see your loop end and it does appear to in almost the exact same location. Are you sure there isn't a thread? On mine, it's extremely thin (which is why it concerned me) and non elastic. Probably about the thickness of doubled up stitching thread.

If not I really wonder how they have it secured in there. Fabric adhesive(?). One side going all the way up to the corner and the other terminating a couple inches shy and "secured" only in the cord chanel fabric (no stitching) seems kind of odd. Wonder why they do that...

Thanks for following up with that Countrybois. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Yarome; 10-05-2019 at 09:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Maybe not worry about something that has not happened yet. Or has it given away?
    I haven't used it yet or put it under any stress, so no. It's still intact. I just didn't know if that was normal construction or if someone might have forgotten to run it all the way up before doing the corner stitching and decided to "fish" the end of the shock cord with a little thread as some sort of "band-aid" fix. If it was a mistake, I would rather get it fixed now rather than having it fail a few months down the road where it "could" likely fall outside of the warranty as being "...normal wear and tear, improper care, misuse, accident, neglect, or the natural breakdown of materials over time."

I don't quite understand why you "wouldn't" run it up to the corner and secure it in the multiple fabric layers and heavy box stitching... like the other side and neck elastic ends. Or... box stitching it in place down lower in the chanel cover would seem to be more secure than... what(?)... gluing it between 2 thin pieces of fabric(?).

If it's a non-issue, it's a non-issue. I just didn't know how it's "supposed" to be, it seemed odd to me, so I asked.

Worst case, if it's not a mfg issue, it's not going to kill me to box stitch it myself for peace of mind.
    Last edited by Yarome; 10-05-2019 at 09:45.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast